Big drop in Nvidia prices might be right around the corner

Teenyman45

2[H]4U
I saw an article on lenzfire (so take the following with a grain of salt) that Nvidia will be dropping the price of 580's down to ~$380 for the Christmas season. Should be similar drops for other cards. Might be worth holding off on paying $530 for a batman branded 580.

The "news" seems reasonable considering how deeply discounted 5870's and 5970's, particularly Saphire models, were at Newegg and other retailers this time last year.

linky: http://lenzfire.com/2011/11/nvidia-is-planning-to-offer-exclusive-discount-sale-for-this-christmas-96476/

From an article that suggests Kepler will arrive february - april? I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Still awaiting Kepler. A drop in heat/power usage and an increase in speed are preferable.

Interesting, if this can put the 2.5GB GTX 570s within my budget I may sell my cards and buy 2 of those.

Still awaiting Kepler. A drop in heat/power usage and an increase in speed are preferable.

Same here, I'm waiting for Kepler especially for its reduction in heat.

Even if the rumored 768 cores is true (which means its not 2x the performance GTX 580), any significant reduction in heat is as important to me.

I feel exactly the same way you do right now.

Getting sick of ATI driver support...

Yeah, I'm really getting tired of them. You know me for a while DASHIT, I really gave AMD a chance. I'm still not 100% sure but they are making it impossible to enjoy the hardware. Right now I can't even run battlefield 3 correctly 100%, skyrim crossfire sucks, no crossfire for rage, (ID's fault) deus ex crossfire scaling sucks same with expansion. it's one thing after another. /facepalm.

Yeah, I'm really getting tired of them. You know me for a while DASHIT, I really gave AMD a chance. I'm still not 100% sure but they are making it impossible to enjoy the hardware. Right now I can't even run battlefield 3 correctly 100%, skyrim crossfire sucks, no crossfire for rage, (ID's fault) deus ex crossfire scaling sucks same with expansion. it's one thing after another. /facepalm.

It's funny buddies of mine on mIRC, where telling me they have no issues with skyrim/bf3 using 11.12EB and cap 4, but none of them are running Eyefinity. On Skyrim one of them is running dquad 6950's and getting 100% GPU usage with all 4 cards in skyrim...

I was going to give the 11.12eb a shot with skyrim when I get home from work.

But yea....im still pissed

Yet despite this, Battlefield 3 runs pretty much perfectly for me, and DEHR runs reasonably well too despite poor scaling (which is more than likely a game problem, due to the fact it scales almost perfectly [88%+] in large parts of the game, yet drops to 5-6% in some others). Rage, as you said, is iD's fault. If the Skyrim issue is fixed within a week or two, I think a lot of the 'I'm leaving AMD' posts will suddenly dry up. It's only eyefinity users that really post lots of issues, and I'm not surprised about that.

Hoping an excuse to upgrade comes out soon. Even my 460's can handle most anything out these days.

I'm thinking of dumping my card on ebay now and struggling along with some older card so I can try and snag something better prior to Kepler. I'm sure a 680 will be $500+ and it will be awhile until a 660 shows up. Not to mention my CPU should hold me until Ivy Bridge at least.

The 11.12eb+cap4 work flawlessly in Skyrim for me. Crossfire working as well. Checked it in gpu-z

Me too. I have tried to be a good customer, but the driver support stinks. I don't want a "hotfix" two or three days after a game is released, I want the damn thing to work from day one.

It's funny buddies of mine on mIRC, where telling me they have no issues with skyrim/bf3 using 11.12EB and cap 4, but none of them are running Eyefinity. On Skyrim one of them is running dquad 6950's and getting 100% GPU usage with all 4 cards in skyrim...

I was going to give the 11.12eb a shot with skyrim when I get home from work.

But yea....im still pissed

Where do you find said driver??

Yet despite this, Battlefield 3 runs pretty much perfectly for me, and DEHR runs reasonably well too despite poor scaling (which is more than likely a game problem, due to the fact it scales almost perfectly [88%+] in large parts of the game, yet drops to 5-6% in some others). Rage, as you said, is iD's fault. If the Skyrim issue is fixed within a week or two, I think a lot of the 'I'm leaving AMD' posts will suddenly dry up. It's only eyefinity users that really post lots of issues, and I'm not surprised about that.

Why is it acceptable to have "pretty well"? Why is it acceptable th wait "two or three weeks"?
Example.....Dead Island (not that good a game, but an example) just got a CF profile and the game's been out since late August.
I'm sick of this AMD shit to the max. I've spent more money on their products in the last several years than I care to admit, and every time my frustration always comes down to inadequate support and shit scaling of their high end products.
My son's GTX 580s just work. The end.
I'm jumping if these price reductions are true. I'm finished for the last time with AMD.:rolleyes:

Samuel.....I respect your opinions and you're very level headed.
That said, Eyefinity is a cutting edge technology that only a small percentage of folks use(me included). BUT it's AMDs prize, it's their Ace-in-the-hole. They should promote the thing like no tomorrow and work with the developers to have every AAA release EF and CF ready from day one........what a cudo that would be. But they(AMD) continually fuck it up.
What good is it to have a technology that makes your game worse or more frustrating?
It makes no sense.
Sure nvidia can be slow to the plate sometimes too.....they ain't perfect, but they are ready more times than not on day one.

AMD just has their head up their ass. I'm sure not qualified to write driver code, and I'm sure it is quite a challenge, but come on it's your fucking business......hire some more guys, or whatever it takes.

Last edited:
What you've said is pretty much true, but it's always easy to assume the grass is more greener on the other side of the fence than it actually is. Those GTX580s that "just work" get 30% scaling in Skyrim. That's not exactly great...
I'd rather have some game profiles not work to their full potential for a few weeks than have a hardware driver problem that can never be resolved, and renders a large number of cards unstable (e.g. the power management on fermi cards).

That said, AMD are heading for troubled times, their CPU division is falling apart rapidly and they're reliably losing server market share to Intel, which basically leaves their GPU department propping up the business. Not so great when AMD still refuse to hire any driver support staff.

Last edited:
I would love to have a GTX580 but at $500 there is just no way. The benefits over my 5870 just aren't enough. Now $380 is much more in the ball park of being worth it and I'd probably bite on that.

The "news" seems reasonable considering how deeply discounted 5870's and 5970's, particularly Saphire models, were at Newegg and other retailers this time last year.

linky: http://lenzfire.com/2011/11/nvidia-is-planning-to-offer-exclusive-discount-sale-for-this-christmas-96476/

That was due to the release of the HD6800 series, and not necessarily because it was approaching christmas. I don't think there'll be a general price drop without new technology on the immediate horizon.

Interesting, if this can put the 2.5GB GTX 570s within my budget I may sell my cards and buy 2 of those.

I get a 3dMark2011 score of 3900ish at 1920x1080 with everything on with 2 of those EVGAs in SLI. But, having played in nVidia surround with 3 monitors, I don't notice slowdowns or hiccups.

I'd love to see a price drop,like to upgrade from my 285,maybe to a GTX 570. But it still performs well enough that I can't see replacing it at current prices.

What you've said is pretty much true, but it's always easy to assume the grass is more greener on the other side of the fence than it actually is. Those GTX580s that "just work" get 30% scaling in Skyrim. That's not exactly great...
I'd rather have some game profiles not work to their full potential for a few weeks than have a hardware driver problem that can never be resolved, and renders a large number of cards unstable (e.g. the power management on fermi cards).

That said, AMD are heading for troubled times, their CPU division is falling apart rapidly and they're reliably losing server market share to Intel, which basically leaves their GPU department propping up the business. Not so great when AMD still refuse to hire any driver support staff.

Oh for sure. Nvidia has dropped the ball just as much, you surely have to watch yourself; but they are just so much more on the ball with things.

I really don't care if they have 30% improvement in their early release driver for Skyrim, the real fact is they HAD one ready to go. I'm sure that the drivers will improve with time.

AMD, on the other hand ,has their head in the sand.

The 11.12eb+cap4 work flawlessly in Skyrim for me. Crossfire working as well. Checked it in gpu-z

Nice, thanks for the heads up. So now it's time for AMD to show us what it's made of. It's now Sunday 11/13, will they release a cap with the fixes already apparent in 11.12 or will they make us wait until the end of the month or later for 11.11 WHQL, or worse 11.12 WHQL just before the start of the new year. I really hope catalystcreator's comments on twitter are true. They should have showed us what it's made of and had the CAP ahead of time being that CATS 11.12EB have been out for nearly a month.. jeez AMD :(

I get a 3dMark2011 score of 3900ish at 1920x1080 with everything on with 2 of those EVGAs in SLI. But, having played in nVidia surround with 3 monitors, I don't notice slowdowns or hiccups.

They seem like good cards. GTX 570s overclocked ot the max trade blows with a 6970 crossfire setup in multiscreen. The ram is what kills them. I simply didn't want to sacrifice on the ram as I like to play with moderate to high amounts of IQ even in eyefinity. I doubt i'll use the 2.5GB of vram before I run out of GPU horsepower but I want at least the 2GB to be there if I need it, and I can assure you that I have one some games. I think the extra 512MB of vram could come in handy for tri and quad SLi but I'm simply doing 2 card. Still if I can grab a pair for $260 a piece I'm gonna be all over that, even if it means sacrificing 5-10% of my performance from application to application. Having working drivers is worth that to me. Thanks for sharing your experience. I can tell your enjoying your cards.

I think I'm being overly optimistic as those cards are currently going for $394.99 on newegg(sold out) and the cheapest I've seen them with rebate/instant savings was $359.99. I'll keep my eyes peeled on them. At $260 a piece after MIR they will be hard to pass up.

Too little too late Nvidia. Already have 2x5870 which beats the GTX580. If 580 was reasonably priced from the beginning I would be running a GTX580 instead because I am no fan of dual video card due to to hassles setting up games all the time when they have issues with Xfire.

Any indication of a price drop on the 560TI 2GBs?

Though at this point it might just be best for me to wait and see what their new $200 card is for the next generation... probably a refined 560TI in a smaller package (like the 560 is to the 460).

5870CF is a pain, switched to SLI 460's and made $250 in the process, some games are faster, some slower but no driver problems with SLI, also way less noise/heat and no driver headaches.
Too little too late Nvidia. Already have 2x5870 which beats the GTX580. If 580 was reasonably priced from the beginning I would be running a GTX580 instead because I am no fan of dual video card due to to hassles setting up games all the time when they have issues with Xfire.

Less noise maybe, but less heat is a placebo - the 460s use a similar amount of power to 5870s.

I feel as though these high end video cards are still not really needed when it comes to PC gaming unless you run a multi monitor setup or play at very high resolutions with full AA/AF with games such as Crysis.

I feel as though these high end video cards are still not really needed when it comes to PC gaming unless you run a multi monitor setup or play at very high resolutions with full AA/AF with games such as Crysis.

You could also look at it in the sense that if you don't play with large resolution, high IQ, and aa/af, you're not really enjoying all the work the developer put into the game. And Skyrim is currently pushing most systems and it's a much more mainstream game then Crysis imo.

Hmmm, 380 is tempting. I wouldn't mind waiting to see what the 7000 series has to offer first though.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. So now it's time for AMD to show us what it's made of. It's now Sunday 11/13, will they release a cap with the fixes already apparent in 11.12 or will they make us wait until the end of the month or later for 11.11 WHQL, or worse 11.12 WHQL just before the start of the new year. I really hope catalystcreator's comments on twitter are true. They should have showed us what it's made of and had the CAP ahead of time being that CATS 11.12EB have been out for nearly a month.. jeez AMD :(
11.11 WHQL out this week per the driver engineer at AMD.
http://twitter.com/#!/@catalystcreator

1321010610aeRYRgoIzT_2_2.gif

Oh for sure. Nvidia has dropped the ball just as much, you surely have to watch yourself; but they are just so much more on the ball with things.

I really don't care if they have 30% improvement in their early release driver for Skyrim, the real fact is they HAD one ready to go. I'm sure that the drivers will improve with time.

AMD, on the other hand ,has their head in the sand.

Its actually 46% scaling with 2 580's.
Still a beta driver and better than nothing.

46% average fps scaling, 27.5% minimum fps scaling.
Single-weighted scaling would be 36.7%, double-weighted scaling would be 33.7%.

interesting, figures I just got a GTX570 SC, but I got a great deal so I guess I have no regrets

5870CF is a pain, switched to SLI 460's and made $250 in the process, some games are faster, some slower but no driver problems with SLI, also way less noise/heat and no driver headaches.

I have one GTX460 in another computer but my main rig only supports Xfire so no 2x460 for me. Actually, I don't want any 2x video card of any brand in the future. EVGA sent me that Nvidia 7950 (2 vid cards sandwiched together) or whatever it was called as a replacement thinking they were doing me a favor and all it caused was a massive headache because my MB did not support it properly or the drivers were shit, and now Xfire is mostly running ok once I forked out money for a 1000w PSU because Seasonic fucked me over on a 850w PSU, more hassle than it is worth so fuck both Xfire and SLI.

Got my gtx 570 for $230 from newegg, doubt they will drop that low unless they are going to clear them out.

Back