"Big Dongle" Jokes Get Everyone Fired

For all that claim that she is being attacked in a racist way in this thread i ask to point out the racist statement..

She said black people are incapable of being racist

That comment in itself is racist, because your implying all black people do something specific.

^ You didn't need to make a huge post about Adria Richards. She's already fired.

Unfortunately, she'll probably hire some liberal shyster to sue and steal money from the company that (rightfully) fired her. It is the People's Republic of California, after all.

This is why I just have as little interaction with female coworkers as I possibly can. Because if one of them decides to pull a bitch move like this, no matter how right I am I still lose. I literally have zero female coworkers that I interact with for more than a couple of minutes and never unless there are numerous other people present.

Wow, this thread got out of hand. Sad that that the guy got fired, if that hadn't happened, nothing newsworthy would have happened.

I am a liberal

I am a feminist

I am a man

I condemn any racist or sexist attacks being made in this thread or anywhere else against this woman

That all being said, she was wrong to publicly shame them. She is a PR person with a platform and an audience. If she was upset at their jokes she should have asked them to be quiet.

Men using their platform and position of power to hurt women is bad. How is is then that this woman using her platform and position of power to hurt these guys can be considered any differently?

When someone is talking in a theater, don't you tell them to shut up before you call 911?

At work they ask why I don't "social media" I answer "because I'm no angle on the weekends"

She said black people are incapable of being racist

That comment in itself is racist, because your implying all black people do something specific.
Sadly, she didn't invent that quote, and I have heard it SO many times.

The argument is that to be racist you have to have power, which is in itself a load of bullshit. Prejudice is prejudice and if a black manager at McDonalds is racist against hispanics and whites for example, it still affects those in his employ. But its beyond rediculous when you consider that many of the highest positions in government are held by black people and females too, so, uhm, yeah.

I love the part where she bragged about killing someone's dog with her feminazi remark, and lied to people to try and ditch her elderly cat. As an animal lover, that was just icing on the cake for me.

What gets me is how she can claim to be offended, and yet never say anything to stop it.

Glad to see she lost her job.

Egotistical, easily-offended hypocrites come in all sizes, shapes, colors and sexes. I am glad she lost her job, after she got two harmless people fired.

It's stories like this that make me wonder why women are so surprised that men want to maintain their "boy's club". Maybe we *want* to be able to joke every now and then. Maybe a conference really isn't so professional of an environment that a few jokes would be inappropriate. Maybe it isn't "childish and immature" to do these things, but that it's being human and expressing ourselves. Maybe, just maybe, men make jokes with each other everyday and have no problem with it going back and forth. Maybe all this political correctness is what causes industries, companies, governments to be so inundated with bullshit that no real work can get done. Because I see a correlation.
Maybe women are labelled as "weak" because they are so inconfident about themselves that they allow words to "prevent them from becoming programmers". That's what I see. One shred of negative feedback and you give up, assume defeat? That's pathetic. I don't want a person like that working for me, working in my field. And I will treat that person differently if that is their attitude towards life.
But hey, that's just my opinion, and I'm no where near able to properly express my feelings in words without being misunderstood.... /shrug

How else would they get ahead, if not to knock down the guy in first place, instead of doing the hard (proper) thing and just perform better? Today's Feminism and Women's Lib is like the Blue Shell from Mario Kart -- otherwise known as the 'I suck so bad, I have to resort to ruining the chances of the best player in the game to get ahead.'

You know, she can be wrong without getting attacked in a sexist way. You're not helping. She's wrong, there's no reason to freak out and act like an idiot about it.

There we go. But don't let people here hear you say that. Anytime there's any post about women in technology, you always get the comments following neatly after each other: "She should go back to the kitchen where she belongs!" And then "I'm not mysogenistic!!!"

Of course, when they throw racist bullshit into the mix too, it's even worse. I just find it hilarious that people can't find a way to critisize a black woman without resorting to mysogeny or racism. There's a difference between saying "She's making everyone look bad, especially when women have a hard enough time being taken seriously in that industry and she overreacts to a stupid joke." and saying "All women do this and that's why they should be hated!!!!"

So what, are you guys mad that these women are getting all the dongles, then? Because with some of these comments, I can't imagine some of you being all that excited about women in general.
Oh give it a fucking break and get off your high horse. Word search this thread for "kitchen" or "make me a sandwich or whatever"... guess what, you're the first one that has said it!

I'm flicking through this thread and I am struggling to find any racism, maybe someone made a comment I glossed over, but it's hardly a prevalent theme, you're grasping at straws.

"She's making everyone look bad, especially when women have a hard enough time being taken seriously in that industry and she overreacts to a stupid joke." and saying "All women do this and that's why they should be hated!!!!"
WHO THE FUCK IS SAYING ANYTHING LIKE THAT?? Saying "the woman is stupid" is not saying "women are stupid". Again, maybe there is a couple of woman hating comments in this thread I glanced over, but really it's not prevalent at all.

The chick used feminism in the public domain as a platform for her own ego and her own gain in a way that does more damage to women's equality in the field than any man could ever do. She acted stupidly by posting pictures of people in the public domain to shame them, a dick move in anyone's book and especially for someone working in PR. People call her out on it, and it's misogyny? Give us a fucking break.

Remember a few months ago when that idiot made a dick of himself to a customer and got called out, Paul whatsesname? He wasn't a woman. People get called out on their shit and people call them stupid, roid raging, small penised, whatever. But then when a woman makes an idiot of herself and gets called out on it, it's misogyny? Guess what, you're the one with the double standards.

So what, are you guys mad that these women are getting all the dongles, then? Because with some of these comments, I can't imagine some of you being all that excited about women in general.
Oh give me a fucking break. I work in male dominated fields and I love to see women working alongside guys. This has nothing to do with that, this woman has done more damage to feminism and than anyone else (not women in general, this specific woman, or is it sexist to use the word "woman" now? Perhaps I need to say "person of unspecified gender"). SHE has hurt the chances of women in her field, SHE has been stupid, SHE has been distasteful and tried to use sexism for her own personal merit to the detriment of others and WE are calling her out on it.

I hate all the Political Correctness in today's society, if this was done to me you bet I would have been up in the HR's face as well as this woman's having to drag me out of the building threatening to sue there company and this witch for character assisgnation and public embarassment for publicly posting about it.

I hate all the Political Correctness in today's society, if this was done to me you bet I would have been up in the HR's face as well as this woman's having to drag me out of the building threatening to sue there company and this witch for character assisgnation and public embarassment for publicly posting about it.

If you're in a public place and don't want to be embarrassed then you should watch what you do and say. Common decency says that she should have talked to them directly and not made it public, but the same free speech that allowed them to say what they wanted also allowed her to hold them accountable for it.

Bottom line is this:
-Don't say something in public that you'd be embarrassed by if it were repeated in front of a larger audience.
-If you hear/see something you don't like, bring it up to the person directly. Don't go passive aggressive on social media.

Glad she was fired and she deserved it.
I work with alot of women and listen guys..they are even worse at criticizing and joking about men then we are about them. Ever listen to a group of women who think they are not being overheard? Yup..just like the men. Regardless we all work together and have a great time most of the time. Dongle jokes are office wide today!

This Chicky took it to far. Way to far. She should have just asked them to stop and they probably would have.

Meanwhile we are putting up with little dongle jokes from the women in the office and the field here today. Oh my sexual harassment! :rolleyes:

I write software and my wife writes software. This woman Arias is an idiot. Had she made the tweet without photographing them, it could have been acceptable. She intentionally inflicted harm on those guys over nothing regarding her.

Some one needs to send her a link to that old sexual harassment spoof video and say THIS is inappropriate behaviour. not some god damn dongle joke.

Bottom line is this:
-Don't say something in public that you'd be embarrassed by if it were repeated in front of a larger audience.
Are you kidding me?

So I can't have a conversation with MY friend in a public venue where there are millions of conversations all over without worrying that some ueber-bitch is going to snoop in on my conversation, completely misinterpret what I said, take a picture of me, and try to publicly shame me and get me fired abusing your position as a spokesperson of sorts in the industry?

I'd like to be able to talk with my friends at Outback steakhouse tonight without say a random reporter putting me up on Fox news that night and losing my job Monday morning.

Are you kidding me?

So I can't have a conversation with MY friend in a public venue where there are millions of conversations all over without worrying that some ueber-bitch is going to snoop in on my conversation, completely misinterpret what I said, take a picture of me, and try to publicly shame me and get me fired abusing your position as a spokesperson of sorts in the industry?

I'd like to be able to talk with my friends at Outback steakhouse tonight without say a random reporter putting me up on Fox news that night and losing my job Monday morning.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. There are just too many people in this country just looking to be offended. There is an easy way to deal with most things that offend you: walk away. She could just have easily (besides directly telling them it made her uncomfortable) found another seat.

I think Adria handled this so badly that I hope she has no choice but to wind up working at Hooters and doesn't make any tips. Justice served.

Are you kidding me?

You absolutely can say whatever you want anywhere you are any time you want. That's the great thing about our country. You also have to be prepared to deal with the consequences of what you say. Nothing wrong with that, it's how things should work.

Society has kind of evolved that way. Many organisations have evolved to become afraid if they are not seen to act quickly and harshly (without tolerance) against individuals who appear deviate. I find it kind of ironic, this witch hunting bigotry thing. This weeding out of individuals because they are different. Same thing as before really: with male/female, black/white, Jew, gay, old/young, (Toilette’s?, Asperser’s?, Alzheimer’s?, Ugly?). I mean, let us be honest, when she looked around, she checked him out. If she had fancied him, then the outcome would have been different.

What is needed; is what I keep preaching. Those making the judgment must look at what is there using the NLOD method. NLOD stands for “Necessary Level Of Detail”. You have to think in terms of a factual integrity of at least 75%. Myself, I tend to do 90%. Anything that I can’t get 75% - 90% accuracy on, I try to avoid. I don't expect all others to get 90%. It really depends on their position.

What is this? I don't even. Public humiliate someone, get that person fired. Cuz you know...thats totally the right way to go about taking care of the situation... She deserves everything she gets now, she complains about troll's when in all reality she JUST finished being a god damn troll.

You absolutely can say whatever you want anywhere you are any time you want. That's the great thing about our country. You also have to be prepared to deal with the consequences of what you say. Nothing wrong with that, it's how things should work.

It was a lame but harmless joke. The reality of being an adult is that sometimes people will say things you don't like. Unless it is harassment or just plain mean, we go about our business.

I don't know any women that would find this offensive, even my uberprogressive mother. This lady doesn't even try to justify her bigotry, she outright says that minorities and women can be as prejudiced as they want to.

<Sarcasm>
If he was not good looking enough, and didn’t have enough money, then why didn’t she just kill him?
</Sarcasm>

Seems to me she was a bit too drunk on the 'power' given her by that having so many people care what she has to say. I hope this knocked her down a few pegs.

I don't care who you are--no one gives that much of a fuck to go tweeting things like "playing cards against humanity right now"

Seriously--if you do this, no one gives a fuck. CUT IT OUT!!

You also have to be prepared to deal with the consequences of what you say. Nothing wrong with that, it's how things should work.
There is absolutely something wrong with that. There is a difference between me standing up on a podium with a bullhorn and saying something, versus saying something at a conversational level to a close friend over dinner.

Any sane reasonable person will realize that the expectation of privacy is different between the two.

These guys were NOT on stage with a microphone speaking to an audience, they were speaking to each other, and a snoop acted as a megaphone misinterpreting it and blasting them and photographing them in a character attack that cost them their jobs. So, no, its not how things should work, and the bitch deserves the backlash she is receiving for making something private so public.

It was a lame but harmless joke. The reality of being an adult is that sometimes people will say things you don't like. Unless it is harassment or just plain mean, we go about our business.

I don't know any women that would find this offensive, even my uberprogressive mother. This lady doesn't even try to justify her bigotry, she outright says that minorities and women can be as prejudiced as they want to.

I completely agree. People first need thick skin and second they need to be able to handle their differences properly. She failed on both accounts. There's no denying that she has weird views and that she handled this situation poorly. But people here are saying that they have a right to say whatever they want without consequences. Remember, consequence isn't necessarily negative. It's just want happens. If you're nice to someone in public and they buy you a drink, that's a consequence. If you're mean in public so people don't tell you that your fly is down, that's a consequence. If you say things that offends someone and they make repeat that to a larger audience, that's a consequence. Doesn't matter if it's the right or wrong way to handle a situation, you have to be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. One of the men got fired as a consequence for what they said and she got fired as a consequence for what she did.

Again, feel free to say/do whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. Just be prepared to deal with what happens next.

There is absolutely something wrong with that. There is a difference between me standing up on a podium with a bullhorn and saying something, versus saying something at a conversational level to a close friend over dinner.

Any sane reasonable person will realize that the expectation of privacy is different between the two.

These guys were NOT on stage with a microphone speaking to an audience, they were speaking to each other, and a snoop acted as a megaphone misinterpreting it and blasting them and photographing them in a character attack that cost them their jobs. So, no, its not how things should work, and the bitch deserves the backlash she is receiving for making something private so public.
I can see how someone in a position of power should be much more careful of what they say even when not in the spotlight, but really, I agree, people need to give others the benefit of the doubt when overhearing others' conversations. I'm sure almost all of us here have said worse than that in places that were equally public and wouldn't appreciate someone taking a photo of us, taking the comments out of context and then posting them in public.

Yes, the method involves taking something (words) out of context (placement distortion), and putting it into one which will amplify its effect in a negative way to the originator of the words, and assumedly positive to the passer on. (profit/loss)

Personally, I would regard that if you take something too far out of context, you could breach the integrity of the original meaning. To me, a reckless disregard for logical integrity is unacceptable in the extreme, (unless of course there is enough addition logic to show it up as a joke, or give error correction).

Back