Big Content Creators Sue TickBox Streaming Device

monkeymagick

[H]News
Netflix, Amazon, and six major studios have gotten together to file suit against TickBox TV as tools for mass infringement. The lawsuit claims the piracy is done from the device linking copyrighted content to streams from the internet. I wonder if the other companies will turn around and sue Amazon for its Fire Sticks and Fire TVs side-loaded with Kodi.

The device's marketing materials let users know the box is meant to replace paid-for content, with "a wink and a nod," by predicting that prospective customers who currently pay for Amazon Video, Netflix, or Hulu will find that "you no longer need those subscriptions."

TickBox is powered by Android 6.0, along with Kodi, an open source media player software. The box doesn't host any content but rather searches the Internet for streams that it can make available to users.

make LEGAL streaming without ADS affordable and simple they will come... until your servers crash!

They'd shit themselves if they saw the "TV Box & Mini PC" section of GearBest.

My thoughts exactly! If they're going after Tickbox then they need to go after pretty much anyone manufacturing and selling PCs.

less than $20 per month is not affordable?

Content is too segmented across different services though, depending on what you want to watch you'll probably need to sub to multiple ones and some also show ads. Granted I would agree that overall cost is affordable, it's mainly the segmentation and difficulty of access that's the problem (as in content licensing bullshit).

Content is too segmented across different services though, depending on what you want to watch you'll probably need to sub to multiple ones and some also show ads. Granted I would agree that overall cost is affordable, it's mainly the segmentation and difficulty of access that's the problem (as in content licensing bullshit).

"Cutting the Cord" is great - until you want to replace Cable. That's where you get Nickled & Dimed.

Back