Big AMD Reveal At VRLA?

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD's Roy Taylor posted this image on Twitter with the tag line "What's this?" There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in Mr. Taylor's tweet as it only has 2 retweets and 4 likes at this point. But, be that as it may, I am still hoping this is something really cool from AMD. Are we taking any bets on what is under the sheet?

Reactions: JRUHg
like this
A hands-on VR drink mixing system demoed by Raja?

A doghouse which, unbeknownst to Roy, will be his home for the duration of the event.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in Mr. Taylor's tweet as it only has 2 retweets and 4 likes at this point.

Nah, it's because they already showed what's under the covers but you just couldn't help grind your axe since it's Roy Taylor. So sad and predictable.

Here, you're welcome. It is actually fucking awesome.

CpHXM8UUEAAoNFw.jpg

Here some more

Want more? visit awesomerocketship.com

But wait!, there's more

Last edited:
My HOPE is that underneath all that is a huge statue of Kyle in one hand holding a previously unknown but ready for mass consumption AMD Titan X (2016) killer in a pose similar to this..

kyle1.jpg

probably with a beer or bourbon in the other hand..

then followed by a lengthy apology by AMD given by Scott Wesson saying we should have listened to Kyle all a long, done everything he said we should have, always given him unfettered access to everything AMD product he asked for, and then asking Kyle to be president of the video department. At the end of it all, Scott asks forgiveness of Kyle for leaving [H] back in the day and starting up a competing computer website.

Knowing AMD, they would screw something up.. like not including Kyle's goatee on the statue..

maxresdefault.jpg

Just a hope!!

Nah, it's because they already showed what's under the covers but you just couldn't help grind your axe since it's Roy Taylor. So sad and predictable.

But wait!, there's more

what is that thing? looks awesome.

what is that thing? looks awesome.

Looks to me like a seat with a "controler" in front

Put on a VR headset, play something spaceship like and it starts to make sense
Notice the background
It says "Awesome Rocketship" on the poster

Sigh
while it sure would be a nice demo for VR, it's not like it couldn't have been done by NVIDIA, Occulus, Sony, HTC

Wouldn't be surprised they want to show off AMD's VR readiness
Running on an Intel 6 core I'd wager

CpHXM8UUEAAoNFw.jpg

Here some more

But wait!, there's more

:rolleyes:

So slap an Nvidia card in there and it will perform even better.

what the heck is that? if it's just for a VR show case.... limited to one "game"? or is this some type of simulator with lots of other people doing the same stuff? or... networked together like the good old arcade racing games with a dozen systems connected?

what the heck is that? if it's just for a VR show case.... limited to one "game"? or is this some type of simulator with lots of other people doing the same stuff? or... networked together like the good old arcade racing games with a dozen systems connected?

It looks like AMD is trying to enter the Arcade scene and no one told them it wasn't the 1980's.

First Awesome Rocketship to support Async Compute, I read somewhere.

Let's hope the over-the-head pointy looking thing is well-secured to the base. I'd dislike seeing anyone get smashed if the securements fail. :eek:

I don't like soft launches, but AMD should soft launch the RX 490 as soon as they can to keep their fans from succumbing to the temptation of the green side.

I get the chair and the hand controls, but the rest of it doesn't make sense to me. if you have a VR headset on, then you won't even see that, so I'm not sure what it would add, but maybe I'm just too dumb to get it :D

CpHXM8UUEAAoNFw.jpg

Here some more

But wait!, there's more

How do I get it into my mom's basement?

WTH does "Runs VR" mean exactly?
My cell phone "runs VR" if you strap it into Google Cardboard...

But the Wallstreet crowd loves to hear about market domination and when they can sell that they are doing that then supposedly everything will be al right for stock price of AMD.

AMD makes me sad. Remember when the Athlon was the best? Then the ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro? I know they still make decent video cards, but damn - they haven't had a killer hit in a long time.

AMD makes me sad. Remember when the Athlon was the best? Then the ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro? I know they still make decent video cards, but damn - they haven't had a killer hit in a long time.

Even the decent video cards thing may be a stretch.

Their fastest GPU is - what - less than half the performance of Nvidias best at this point?

Kind of amusing considering their hardware is marginal at best for VR...

It is not about how it functions it is about how it is perceived by the financial community , if they claim it is a win for AMD and sell it that way.

"Mr. Taylor's tweet as it only has 2 retweets and 4 likes at this point."

How low journalism and humanity has gone. Judging news by the 'retweets and likes'. Scum.

Here, I will perfect your comment for you...

so this is what AMD is burning it's money on like there is no tomorrow (see what I did there :D ) instead of bringing out products that people actually want to buy, while nvidia is cranking out cutting edge chips at extortionate prices?

Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Back