BH-5 and TCCD: Which one and where?

Okay then, I'll be happy in the 2.6GHz range...but i want mid 2.6GHz! lol...*prays chip does well*

I'm sorry I wasnt very clear when I said 2.8Ghz for a FX55 oc on average. I was referring to one on air but didnt specify that. Yeah on extreme cooling they are beasts and can go up to 3.8Ghz I've even seen on a triple cascade.

Jason711 said:
uh no... quite the contrary i assure you. the performance gains on the a64 platform are quite minimal above 200mhz on the memory bus. we are talking around 5-10% at best.

Dude.... you're on crack. Seriously. If you call 8000 mb/s bandwidth 'quite minimal', well, then I guess you're right. I, however, find going from 6000 to 8000 mb/s to be quite substantial. Even going from 200 to 240 or so, my memory bandwidth goes up a little over 1000 mb/s. So if that's 'quite minimal' to you, then you're correct.

most of the reason why it peforms so much better is because of the reduced latency. if you can do 2-2-2-5 at 230-250mhz, the latency will go below 40ns (on my board at least) whereas at stock, it's just under 50ns
that's a 20% improvement.. not bad at all, especially on a system that loves low latency
so in the end, it's not cause of the bandwidth, it's because of the lower latency you get. however, raising the timings past 2.5-3-3-5 tend to negate that, and you have to clock even higher still (hope for 300mhz guys!) :D :D

I will have good air cooling on my chip (XP-120) but I can only go as far as my chip will let me. Also, since I have the 3400+ I have 12x multiplier at my disposal, so instead of running a low multi and cranking the memory and loosening timings, I plan on keeping the multi high, timings low, and going up to as high as my processor will let me. So 250MHz isn't really neccessary, but wouldn't hurt for future proofing, or if it can hold it's timings while going up faster, then we can drop the multiplier :)

joecuddles said:
Dude.... you're on crack. Seriously. If you call 8000 mb/s bandwidth 'quite minimal', well, then I guess you're right. I, however, find going from 6000 to 8000 mb/s to be quite substantial. Even going from 200 to 240 or so, my memory bandwidth goes up a little over 1000 mb/s. So if that's 'quite minimal' to you, then you're correct.

uh... if you transalte memory bandwidth to overall system performance then you are on crack.

Jason711 said:
uh... if you transalte memory bandwidth to overall system performance then you are on crack.

Memory bandwidth plays a large part of system performance with the 64's. But what do I know? :D

James Earl Ray said:
Memory bandwidth plays a large part of system performance with the 64's. But what do I know? :D

the a64 has ample bandwidth. what im trying to explain and you are not wanting to understand is that by increasing it you are not going to get much more performance as a result. unless you stroke youself to sandra.. :eek: ... and please note, sandra does not actually mean overall performance.

the only thing that the chip really needs is the higher HTT x multi. the memory bus has nothing to do with those frequencies..

oh yea.. staying on topic, http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=365550

a guide for the better TCCD sticks...

OK OK you are right I am wrong. I guess I should be thankful I can find the power button on my rig. :rolleyes:

Get the TCCD. :D

the only thing i was trying to prove was that the TCCD is good enough. :D

I think I've decided to get the Patriot Memory w/ XBL....I'm waiting for the prices on it to soar because it seems like EVERYONE is buying it for cheap TCCD w/ brainpower PCB...*hopes newegg stays asleep on that one*

Vendeko said:
what are the crucial ballistix running? BH-6?

No Crucial uses their own chip made by their parent company Micron. It is not Bh anything nor is it Tccd. All Tccd chips are made by Samsung.

Captin Insano said:
No Crucial uses their own chip made by their parent company Micron. It is not Bh anything nor is it Tccd. All Tccd chips are made by Samsung.

im pretty sure that the crucial ballistix rated 2-2-2-5 is TCCD..

by now just about all 512 sticks rated 2-2-2-5 or 2-2-2-6 will be Tccd....as its the onyl ship still made for those latencys...

BH-5 is still king, but i think if you looking for a dual bank 512 stick TCCD is the way to go..got a gig of it myself running 262Mhz 2-3-3-7...

Jason is right, the Athlon 64 is not bandwidth starved and the difference in memory speeds between PC3200 and PC4800 is at most 1-2% over a global series of tests. Similarly, low latency vs high latency at same speed seems to add 1-2% globally to performance. In sum unlike the P4, or A-XP, which are in fact bandwidth starved, with the A64 you're best bet is to buy cheapest PC3200 ram and run at it's best potential, async or not. The performance will be indiscerable.

Wintergreen said:
Jason is right, the Athlon 64 is not bandwidth starved and the difference in memory speeds between PC3200 and PC4800 is at most 1-2% over a global series of tests. Similarly, low latency vs high latency at same speed seems to add 1-2% globally to performance. In sum unlike the P4, or A-XP, which are in fact bandwidth starved, with the A64 you're best bet is to buy cheapest PC3200 ram and run at it's best potential, async or not. The performance will be indiscerable.

well, im still happy knowing my HTT is 260 and so is my memory...2% or not...every % counts... and know cheap memory is going to do that...but the bigest incress is all the the 2.6Ghz clock!

Well, I can run 224MHz memory at 3-3-3-8...watch out, those timings are on FIRE...not. But If I can get similar or lower timings with faster clocks for a better overclock, then why not? The memory I have now isn't setting the world on fire.

Back