BGP and IGMP

xphil3

[H]ard|Gawd
Quick question,

well actually, two separate questions:p I came across this "issue" while studying BGP and haven't gotten a solid answer from anyone and its actually really bothering me. I have said network setup right now, R1, R2, R3, R4 are iBGP neighbors and R5 is an eBGP neighbor with R1. R1, R2 and R3 are all connected via a frame cloud. R4 is peering with R2 and R3 via an ethernet segment. Why is it that for R4 to ping R5s directly connected networks(loopback in this case) R5 must advertise its networks(R1 and R5s network) via BGP? When I look at the bgp routing table the next hop path always stays the same and I am always able to ping the next hop address as well. I just figured that R1 would take care of the external routing(R4s next hop) when it receives the ICMP packet destined for R5 as well as the returned packet to R4.

R1 ----- R5
/ \
R2 R3
| -------|------------ R4

Second question is fairly straight forward, are there any other ways to pull IGMP snooping tables other than from the switches CAM and from the show igmp commands. The overall goal is to map the specific host to the multicast group for a given period of time. I was thinking pull the info from the CAM then correlate that to the arp table for specific hosts. Any other recommendations?

Please no google answers here

Back