Bfitdefender Box 2

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Ok, the BD Box 2 is finally out. Anyone have one?

I'd also like to see how it would be set up on a FIOS network. I don't have a cable modem, just a Gigabit Ethernet cable coming into the office from the ONT, and it looks like that would feed to the BDB2, and then to my Netgear 7000 Router. Then I guess I'd set the router to a different mode than it is now.

Has anyone done this?

why not just get a pfsense box, then to your Nighthawk acting as an access point? bitdefender box is 250$ + annual subscription, a pfsense firewall has daily signature updates for free.

There are other options out there than PFSense and Ubiquiti... (I use both but I can completely understand why they are not always the best solution for all problems)

From the looks of it the Bitdefender box is a hardware appliance that takes over AV / Malware operations on your network. Rather than needing to have the client installed on every pc, you would run your traffic through this piece of hardware and it would do web inspection. The only issue I can see if that any type of appliance like this would not be able to inspect SSL traffic, so it's going to have a limit on what it can filter. Most bad things are likely http only, so it probably works okay at this point.

If you were trying to use this in conjunction with your Netgear 7000, you'd want to plug the LAN port of the netgear into this device, and disable DHCP on the netgear. This device needs to be able to see all of the devices on your network, so the device management partition wouldn't work if all of your devices were hiding in the NAT behind the R7000. The R7000 would basically just act as a switch for other devices, and / or as your wireless AP.

There are a few benefits to a device like this, but generally I'm not that concerned about myself with most of these features. Things like "Sensitive Data Protection" is simply being smart enough to not enter your CC information into any dialog box that requests it. The parental controls could be useful if they are good, assuming you have kids you need to filter the internet for. Exploit prevention would be another good thing to have, but features like that can be hit or miss and not a huge deal if you're keeping your devices up to date. All of the smart features just have to work with minimal false positives, or you're just going to end up turning it off because it's too much of a hassle.

Back