BFGTech GeForce GTX 295 @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
BFGTech GeForce GTX 295 - Today marks the launch of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 and BFGTech has their GeForce GTX 295 retail box ready to go. We will take a very detailed look at gameplay performance between the BFGTech GeForce GTX 295 in six games with an AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 and GeForce GTX 260 SLI. We also explore whether overclocking makes a difference.

As you can see, most games are a wash with the same playable in-game settings. So when it comes down to it the gameplay experience is the same between the BFGTech GeForce GTX 295 and AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2.

I'm kinda bummed to be honest. I was really expecting more than this. Ah well, hopefully its presence in the marketplace will drive all other prices down.

BTW, I like the recent editing of the forum link to include the word civilized....
I wonder what the chances are....

I'm kinda bummed as well, It would have been nice to see a bit more out of this card especially with it coming out so much later than the 4870x2. I'm sure that with more reviews we will see the true nature of this card reveal its self.

Seems to be like what it was going to bed a GTX260 card all in one.

Civilized discussion eh? :p I wasn't expecting much more than this from this card (technically 2 cards, mmmmm sandwich). This is another one of those too little too late kinda things, but I guess people who hate Catalyst drivers will buy these. Personally, nvidia drivers used to give me BSOD all the time but everything seems to be in order nowadays.

I hope that the temperature testing will be done inside a case since the GTX 295 will be dumping a lot of heat right back into the case.

I see why the price of the 260s went up now. Same thing as SLI 260s. Price of the 280s really makes them a much better choice. (even in SLI)

Great read Kyle. How do you think a 295 would stack up against a 280, or both cards in SLi? Also, how smooth did it feel while playing? I was thinking of stepping up, but was worried that it would turn out like the 9800GX2.

Is Catalyst 8.561.3 the new Catalyst 9.1? I've downloaded a Catalyst 8.12 beta before the official 8.12 was out and the name of the file is:

vista32-64_8-561rc3-081201a-072643E_CAT-8-12

This is probably the first time that I'll say that I'm going to w ait for other reviews to go up. The drivers shouldn't be premature anymore & these results seem to be way off from what other sites " preview " benchmarks are showing.

Thanks for the review [H].

I'm a little surprised at those who feel that this card should be giving us more. At the end of the day, it's just two GTX260 cards in SLI, yes? With that in mind, the numbers generated are not surprising.

I would love to see a direct head to head with a single 280 vs the 295 as for some of us using intel chipsets that don't support SLI the question is which one is faster, a single 280 or the 295?

I would love to see a direct head to head with a single 280 vs the 295 as for some of us using intel chipsets that don't support SLI the question is which one is faster, a single 280 or the 295?

The 295 is SLI on one board, of course it's faster...

Meh I never thought it wuld amount to much.....looking forward to the 300 cards

Nice review....I'll be very curious to see how the thermal/accoustic numbers stack up to the 4870X2.

I didn't notice in the article if you guys had ever mentioned anything about the famous "microstuttering" that was so prevalent in the 9800GX2's. I would imagine it wouldn't be a problem with 512bit memory, but was curious if you guys experienced anything like that.

Nice review....I'll be very curious to see how the thermal/accoustic numbers stack up to the 4870X2.

I didn't notice in the article if you guys had ever mentioned anything about the famous "microstuttering" that was so prevalent in the 9800GX2's. I would imagine it wouldn't be a problem with 512bit memory, but was curious if you guys experienced anything like that.

Microstuttering is one of the reasons we test real world gameplay instead of doing benchmarks. Had there been issues with the gameplay it would have been specificially mentioned.

Thanks for the review [H]. :)

For the resolution and detail level I run in each game I don't see any real performance benefit for my uses. I'll keep my 4870x2 (soon to be 4870x2 CrossfireX :D ) until something arrives on scene that will give me performance benefits or until I upgrade my 1680 x 1050 LCD to something with a higher resolution.

Think I'll wait until the next line from Nvidia (q2 expected, right?). Kind of want to give Nvidia a shot again, haven't had one since my 8800GTS 640 (which is still running like a champ in my g/f's computer, but she'll be due for an upgrade soon, which means she gets my 4870...and i get a new card). I'm completely impartial to brand, but if it's a tossup, I like to switch back and forth just to stay in touch with both sides :)

good review as always Brent.

For the resolution and detail level I run in each game I don't see any real performance benefit for my uses. I'll keep my 4870x2 (soon to be 4870x2 CrossfireX :D ) until something arrives on scene that will give me performance benefits or until I upgrade my 1680 x 1050 LCD to something with a higher resolution.

Why in the world would you want 2 4870x2's for such a low res? You won't see any benefits at all from another 4870x2 at that res. The only thing that will go up is your electric bill.

Once it comes down in price to 399.99 (give it a few weeks, especially if the 4870x2 is going to be selling for that price) it will be worth it for those building a new system and who do not already own a decent video card (GTX 260, GTX 280, 4870 1GB). From the review, it seems that if you own a single decent card, it would be better to just pick up another card for SLI or Crossfire.

However my dad wants me to build him a new rig (he just got a new monitor for xmas and wants to get back into PC gaming) and he is coming from a P4 with an ATI 9700 Pro...so a 4870x2 or GTX 295 will be perfect for him. I however, will hold on to my 280 and after the 285 comes out and prices drop even more (check out the hot deals forum, they are going for 278.99 or so after MIR) I might pick up another one for some SLI action, but since I dont have a 30'' screen, I will probably just stick with a single card.

i will definately consider this, but i too would like to see a heat/sound comparison between it and the 4870x2

Just like I expected and also show by the preview. The GTX295 might be marginal better in numbers but practical equal. The difference is to low to be a real winner.

But about the OC'ing.
GTX295 have a 6 and a 8 PEG

this means from PCIe 75 watts 75 rom the 6 Peg and 150 for the 8Peg so 300Watt limit.
The card is 289Watt. So depending on how hard this limit is and how stable the 12 rails. You have a OC tollerance of 11Watt's.

As for the GTX285 with 183Watts It would be 75+75+75 Watt's. = 225. A 42Watt tollerance for OC'ing
i expect more from the GTX285.
A Watercool custum edition would have later this year a need for 2 8Peg's. If there is some OC potentional left beyond the 300Watt's

edit:
Wheres the GTX285?

The Radeon HD 4870 X2’s graphed line looks more like a heart rate monitor of a person dying.

My boss looked at me strangely when i started laughing out of the blue. Lol. No offence to ATI owners of course.

Why in the world would you want 2 4870x2's for such a low res? You won't see any benefits at all from another 4870x2 at that res. The only thing that will go up is your electric bill.

He's just showing off...nevermind...

Also, I will look closely how HD4870x2 will handle PhysX games, i mean how much eye candy will be taken away without supporting this feature...

I like the way that card looks.

Me = cheap GTX280 anytime soon :D

I have a GTX280 SSC from EVGA that I paid 449 on the invoice for, but ended up paying 300 after rebate and cashback.

Should I go with my gut and step up to the 295 for $65?

Great read Kyle. How do you think a 295 would stack up against a 280, or both cards in SLi? Also, how smooth did it feel while playing? I was thinking of stepping up, but was worried that it would turn out like the 9800GX2.

Two 280's with SLI enabled should be faster than the 295 single, but one GTX 280 vs. GTX 295? Well that is actually a comparison I am interested in myself, and we are going to make that comparison in an upcoming evaluation.

Gameplay was smooth, it always comes down to the game and how well it handles SLI, and we've come a long way from the 9800 GX2 days.

Is Catalyst 8.561.3 the new Catalyst 9.1? I've downloaded a Catalyst 8.12 beta before the official 8.12 was out and the name of the file is:

vista32-64_8-561rc3-081201a-072643E_CAT-8-12

AMD specifically stated to us: "We expect this driver to be publicly available early in the new year."

Me too, see above

4870 X2 CrossFireX for 1680x1050, really?

Just like I expected and also show by the preview. The GTX295 might be marginal better in numbers but practical equal.

edit:
Wheres the GTX285?

That's a good way to look at it, better in the numbers but practically equal.

GTX 285 has only been announced today, it doesn't launch until the 15th when there will be hardware availability.

My boss looked at me strangely when i started laughing out of the blue. Lol. No offence to ATI owners of course.

Glad we could make you laugh :)

You can use 6 GPUs for Folding :D

These things will probably do near 15,000 ppd PER card :drool:

Indeed, why we mentioned specifically the potential to overclocok the shaders only here. It has the full compliment of GTX 280 shaders, so it would be a good folding card IMO.

I have a GTX280 SSC from EVGA that I paid 449 on the invoice for, but ended up paying 300 after rebate and cashback.

Depends on games you play, and resolution and settings you want to play at.

Even though we just got a big batch of new games this past fall, it seems as though, once again, we are left wanting for games to actually challenge this high-end hardware.

It is difficult to be enthusiastic for a product that will essentially give you just another notch of AA. I suppose folders may find more value in it, but it is a gaming video card first, and for that purpose, it is decidedly ho-hum.

I'm pretty locked into 19x12 right now, won't see the need to grab a 30" monitor anytime soon. Think I'll jump on em while EVGA still has them in stock :)

Mostly I'm worried about minimum framerates with single-card, dual-GPU solutions.

I would go with your gut.

Two 280's with SLI enabled should be faster than the 295 single, but one GTX 280 vs. GTX 295? Well that is actually a comparison I am interested in myself, and we are going to make that comparison in an upcoming evaluation.

Gameplay was smooth, it always comes down to the game and how well it handles SLI, and we've come a long way from the 9800 GX2 days.

AMD specifically stated to us: "We expect this driver to be publicly available early in the new year."

Thanks for the reply.

I think that it is safe to say the GTX 295 will be faster than a single GTX 280. GTX 295 is already faster than two GTX 260s in SLi and GTX 260s in SLi are faster than a single GTX 280.

Regarding the driver, can you tell me whether the driver name provided to you is the same as the one I posted before? If it is the same then... meh...

Thanks for the reply.

I think that it is safe to say the GTX 295 will be faster than a single GTX 280. GTX 295 is already faster than two GTX 260s in SLi and GTX 260s in SLi are faster than a single GTX 280.

Regarding the driver, can you tell me whether the driver name provided to you is the same as the one I posted before? If it is the same then... meh...

sample_vista32-64_8-561-3-081217a-73402.exe

Methinks I'll just buy another GTX 260 and SLI if I ever get unsatisfied with my system's performance. While slower (theoretically), its a lot cheaper option.

Good review, I enjoyed the read... :)

1 point from a Nvidia fan...

When considering the “What are the real-world gameplay advantages?”, and the conclusion if it being a "Wash" for the most part, I would have throwen Nvidia a bone for spending millions on GPU PhysX. The new games are just about here, and GPU PhysX would fall under gameplay advantages. :)

There were no PhysX games tested, but still might be nice to have it mentioned.
It may help some on making a selection between a 295, and 4870X2.

Back