BFGTech GeForce GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE @ [H]

Good review and looks like I have no reason to abandon this well overclocked 260.

If I do decide to replace it so I can run higher levels of AA in some games, like AoC, I'll pick up an HD 4870 X2.

I wonder when the 55nm GTX 280's are coming out. I may step-up from the old version GTX 260 I just got

I think I may just have to grab me a 260, WAR makes my 8800GTS 640 cry. Especially at the prices some of these cards are going for.

As for STALKER, did you guys apply the patch yet? There were some major changes that may help performance.

I think I may just have to grab me a 260, WAR makes my 8800GTS 640 cry. Especially at the prices some of these cards are going for.

As for STALKER, did you guys apply the patch yet? There were some major changes that may help performance.

Well, we literally had only 2 hours with the game, downloaded directly from Steam, so whatever the latest version was yesterday evenning as provided by Steam is what we used. Of course, our full evaluation will use the latest version there is.

Steam provides version 1.5.04, which, according to Fileshack, is the latest available.

Nobody's gonna whine about the OCX model being compared to a stock 4870? :D

Don't kill me.

Regarding Die Size: Just got an email from the Associate Product Manager at BFGTech:
Brent, Sorry about the confusion this may or will create, but the GTX 260 “MAXCORE” product from us does in fact feature a GPU made using 65nm process technology. No D10U GPU to date has been 55nm.

So twice they said it was 55nm, and now apparently it really is 65nm. I will update the evaluation. Sounds like some miscommunication happened somewhere down the line.

Regarding Die Size: Just got an email from the Associate Product Manager at BFGTech:

So twice they said it was 55nm, and now it apparently really is 65nm. I will update the evaluation.

Hehe, figures. Oh well, I'll take my foot out of my mouth now, you were right on this one Stoly.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but why not just call it a GTX 270 or even GTX 275 because of the die-shrink. This card is more powerful than the GTX260 and a little bit less powerful than the GTX280 so much for non-confusing nomenclature. :rolleyes:

That leaked slide made it pretty clear that the new core aka GT206 wouldn't hit before October.

I'm wondering why they're bothering to replace the 260 with something which could be replaced a month later itself?

So twice they said it was 55nm, and now apparently it really is 65nm. I will update the evaluation. Sounds like some miscommunication happened somewhere down the line.
yeah I was about to say that I thought even Nvidia said these 216SP cards would be 65nm. all you had to do was look at the core. this is my favorite site but you guys are really slacking lately. :(

That leaked slide made it pretty clear that the new core aka GT206 wouldn't hit before October.

I'm wondering why they're bothering to replace the 260 with something which could be replaced a month later itself?

Bragging rights.

I'm assuming the newer one will be even better. (Haven't seen the slides)

Would be interested in seeing some numbers on power consumption and heat. That might be an additional thing to tip the scales to get me to buy one of the newer GTX260s - otherwise, I'm all for the cheap one. :)

I agree with this - power consumption, especially idle power consuption, along with heat generation are important for me. This is even more relevant when the main change is a die shrink.

As always thank you for the review Mark and Brent.

MAXSHRUG

Seriously has Nvidia so given up on the GTX 280 that they release a product that relegates it to pure e-peen category and nothing else?

I agree with this - power consumption, especially idle power consuption, along with heat generation are important for me. This is even more relevant when the main change is a die shrink.
but this isnt a die shrink. its still 65nm.

Seriously has Nvidia so given up on the GTX 280 that they release a product that relegates it to pure e-peen category and nothing else?
I imagine it's more that they're willing to do anything to flip off ATI, while also reviewing and/or tweaking their product line, and if that means busting out an incremental refresh that skews ever closer to the 280 in performance and renders it near-pointless (or once the factory-overclocked SSC XXX FTW OMGWTFBBQ editions hit...completely pointless) they're down for it.

OMGWTFBBQ

lmao!

Dude guys...its not worth it...30% the price for 5% gain...commmon you can get a damn GTX260 for 210AR, and overclock it to OMGWTFBBQ edition....

The review [H] did sucks....reviewing an overclocked card to a stock card doesnt tell me shit, plus they said it was 65nm.....If something as simlpe as a GPU-Z telling me that isnt true...then i can't really trust their benches

honestly

OMGWTFBBQ

lmao!

Dude guys...its not worth it...30% the price for 5% gain...commmon you can get a damn GTX260 for 210AR, and overclock it to OMGWTFBBQ edition....

The review [H] did sucks....reviewing an overclocked card to a stock card doesnt tell me shit, plus they said it was 65nm.....If something as simlpe as a GPU-Z telling me that isnt true...then i can't really trust their benches

honestly

sigh

1191664289385zp9.jpg

I don't think anybody's disputing the price point, Dethman. :) It's an incremental refresh--and the first refresh to boot; what were you expecting?

Yeah to me its been pretty obvious recently that Nvidia likes to take their cards and produce a few refreshs' in what the card should of been in the first place. I guess it's an atempt to keep the price floating around and overall goal for a longer period of time.

I don't think anybody's disputing the price point, Dethman. :) It's an incremental refresh--and the first refresh to boot; what were you expecting?

honestly

I don't understand your post, would like to address any concerns, but simply don't understand it.

Why do people think that cpu-z and gpu-z are the end-all when it comes to hardware specs? You do realize that the program is only as good as the creator? There is only so much information the program can read from the hardware ID.

Well screw all the banter,,, die size and ATI crap. Im going to go buy another unimproved GTX260 and be ready for intel sli and fold like a freak in the mean time. OOOO god its overclocked. It better well be. As mine is OC'ed also. System all running, the quad folding on 3 cores smp with one feeding the 260 Im around 375w. Piece of cake.

The write up helped me out.... :)

See Yeah

I don't get it, at first, 4870 seem to wins with AA over the old gtx260 (where did i read that shit!!?).
With this new gtx260, i can understand if it turns the table around, but there are so many times in the review that said even the old gtx260 wins the overall over 4870.

It's really retarded that this new card is still called GTX 260. It should be GTX 270.

Anyway Kyle,
you should probably edit your OP, because you still mention that this new product "benefits from a die shrink", when the article itself disproves that, with BFG's comments.

I'd much rather see a comparison between the 4870 and a stock-clocked 260-216. Reviewing an overclocked card is fine, but that should only be done after it's been benchmarked and reviewed at its stock clock speeds.

I have to admit, it's a pretty clever marketing scheme on nVidia's part to send overclocked cards to all of the review sites so that's the first thing that gets reported on, and skews the numbers in favor of their new card in comparison to the competition. It seems like a lot of the reviewers are falling for it, too.

Back