BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS - Today marks the announcement of NVIDIA’s next generation GeForce 8800 series GPU technology code named “G80.” We have two new hard-launched video cards from BFG Tech representing the 8800 products. Gameplay experience TWIMTBP?

The BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX and GTS video cards’ performances speak for themselves. NVIDIA’s 8800 is fueling a huge leap in performance when it comes to today’s real world gaming. The GeForce 8800 GTX and GTS are currently the best performing consumer video cards for 3D gaming acceleration and contain tremendous potential in games we have yet to play.

Please Digg our evaluation HERE.

Brent, Kyle, As always the review is very well done. Probably the best you've done so far.

Just ordered a GTX on the back of it.

My g/f now hates you because she will now be getting a piece of coal and an orange for Christmas.

Iratus said:
My g/f now hates you because she will now be getting a piece of coal and an orange for Christmas.

Ahahahahahahahahah

By the way, awesome review.

I noticed you stated 1t on the memory with the test rig, can you confirm this?

Yes - Kyle

But lets keep this thread on topic.

Kyle where can i start a thread and get some more info on this, it is a very big deal to me.

The thing that I was wondering was what about running dual monitors in SLI

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35594

If the article is correct, this makes me vomit. A DX10 based card that wont handle dual screens without a damn add on card, wtf over? Supreme Commander is due to USE DUAL SCREENS for gameplay if you have them, no way am I gonna want a 3rd 8800 series card around so I can run dual display in that game... Some FIX nvidia... This makes me seriously wait to see if the R600 corrrects this....

Now I dont mean to pooop on the great review the [H] did of the 8800 series... seriously nice job guys, if I werent so worked up about the above issue I might even be trying to order a card today. Keep up the great work guys, not your fault Nvidia cant implement SLI+dual display correctly.

the article is correct, this makes me vomit.

Dual monitor SLI is *not* a hardware limitation. Quadros can do multimonitor SLI and have been able to for a long time.

Nvidia wants you to pay for this feature. Period. It sucks... but nvidia is not going to put a feature on their gamer cards that will take buisness away from the quadro line... this is also why workstation 3d performance is capped (via software) at an extremely low level and has been for a loooong time on the gamer cards.

At least we may be able to add this feature via an add in to gamer cards... instead of having to pay the hefty price for a quadro.

It is also the same reason why intel chose to cripple the 64bit performance of their conroe line. They do not want to take marketshare away from itanium. (yes 64bit performance is still fast... but it would be ALOT faster without the cap. There should be a MUCH larger jump in performance going from 32bit.)

Even ATI does this... They cap workstation 3d performance aswell on gamer cards, and keep some features only available for fireGL.

Exactly what "apple" is a peer with the 8800 GTX?

Simple, compare the 8800 directly with ATI's latest and also nvidia's last gen with all the same settings. Then you can easily see the difference in performance.

There are too many new features of the 8800 to be doing such a subjective review.

Yashu said:
Simple, compare the 8800 directly with ATI's latest and also nvidia's last gen with all the same settings. Then you can easily see the difference in performance.

There are too many new features of the 8800 to be doing such a subjective review.

How, exactly, would that help you determine how a game would play on an 8800 GTX vs an X1950XTX? If they use the same settings, they will look the same and there will be no real advantage to any given card, except framerates. And framerates are simply not an accurate indicator of "performance". True performance is maintaining playable framerates AND providing the best experience possible. If we don't crank each video card to their maximum capacity, we're only giving you half of the picture.

Sephiros said:
Just when I got to the "overclocking" section... :(
me too actually...lol, i gotta learn to read faster!

liked what i saw though, can't wait to finish after class. looks like a bear of a card, and also like i'm going to be broke here pretty soon.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Damn the article was too interesting I wasted too much time reading the first pages, now I cant get past the WoW benches.

8x AA in Oblivion with max details? That's just friggin unbelievable. Seriously, this card is like > SLI 7900s. I can't even imagine what 2 of them will be like! Pfff too bad I sold my PC gaming rig...

Anyway, weird that you pulled the article, but thanks for leaving it up long enough for me to read, and good job! :p

chris.c said:
I didn't even get to the benches, was pulled before I got to page 7. :p

ack!! i was stuck at the unified shaders section... should have skipped to the benches and overclocking :(

My god the 7950GX2 looks like a complete waste of money compared to the 8800GTS

errr, I just finished the whole thing...it got pulled?

Overclocking snip:
GTX got to 650core, 2ghz mem
GTS got to 625core, 2ghz mem

Yashu said:

That is exactly why we must evaluate gameplay experience, there are too many new features and none of them can be compared "apples to apples" because they are not the same between cards. The importance of evaluating by gameplay experience is increasing with each new video card, and this generation proves our method is simply the best way to do it.

Exactly. Video cards are much more than pixel and polygon pumps. Features and capabilities define a video card, not the clock speeds or framerates in any given game.

Brent_Justice said:
That is exactly why we must evaluate gameplay experience, there are too many new features and none of them can be compared "apples to apples" because they are not the same between cards. The importance of evaluating by gameplay experience is increasing with each new video card, and this generation proves our method is simply the best way to do it.

I gotta go with Brent on this one, the G80 is so much different and has too many new features to have an "apples to apples" comparison.

Just the new AA and AF modes set a new standard in Quality and performance.

Thanks for the review. Looks like I will be skipping this cycle. As awesome as this card is, I think my 7950GT will be good enough until we see the "8900" series in the spring. Should be a die shrink and lower power by then anyway.

Thanks

No doubt the card rocks.... I got latest tech last upgrade, gonna wait until the "GT" version or some such come out this time around...

I could be tempted if it was smaller, but lord knows I don't want to spend uber bucks and then find out I have to get a new case and power supply to boot.

That, or wait until I can't game at 1280x1024 anymore... that's all I think I really need to get a good experience. I don't have a 24" monitor, so I'm good for now. Sure, I'll want one, but it's not like I have a 6 series card or x00 series card.and can't game well.

ok its good and all but where are the 640x480 and 800x600 benches?

:D :D

If they had to add DX9 compatibility into Vista/DX10, does that mean the DX10 cards have too also? As in a DX10 card could possibly not support any lower DX APIs?

I think I'm thinking too much.

It seems to me that the 8800s are not CPU limited but DX9 limited.

Stoly said:
It seems to me that the 8800s are not CPU limited but DX9 limited.

Right. We really don't know what'll happen when we apply DX10 to them.

Accually what I would like to see if performance comparesons between

The 7xxx series from the bottom up...

this way, we can compare exactly how much of an improvement we would get ourselfs... Reviewing the 8800s to the x1950XTX does nothing for me.... I need to see what the 8800s do against the video card I currently have... This might give me a better understanding of my upgrade path.

Why hasn't anyone actually review the VIDEO FEATURES?!

HDCP/HDTV support and HD-DVD/Blue-ray encoding support!!! Someone please do a review on them or sometihng.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Accually what I would like to see if performance comparesons between

The 7xxx series from the bottom up...

this way, we can compare exactly how much of an improvement we would get ourselfs... Reviewing the 8800s to the x1950XTX does nothing for me.... I need to see what the 8800s do against the video card I currently have... This might give me a better understanding of my upgrade path.

Ditto on that. It's nice to see how the 8800GTX crushes the 7800's that a lot of people still have. I personally find it a lot more useful to see how much of an improvement this generation has brought us by moving from a 256MB 7800GTX to a ridiculous 8800GTX.

Sephiros said:
How much time till the article goes online again?!

Through the magic of reading, it is revealed that it will online again at 1PM CST. That's about 90 minutes.

Back