BFG or EVGA : 7800?

Z

Zinn

Well, my paycheck is getting printed out in a day or so and I'll be able to get one (assuming I don't eat for awhile, not a problem)...

so do I get BFG or EVGA? The lifetime warranty doesn't matter when I void it anyway, so does it matter either way or should I get whatever's cheapest??

From what I understand you can find both the eVGA and BFG 7800gtxs for the same price. Personally I would choose the BFG, considering their technical support is outstanding, comes with a lifetime warranty, OC'd out of the box, and has the better HSF (my opinion).

I went with EVGA because of the step-up program and the rising speculation of an Ultra 7800 coming out within 90 days.

EDIT: They all use the Nvidia reference design heatsink. Personally I think the metallic black EVGA heatsink is dead sexy and tasteful lol

If the price is the same, BFG seems like the better choice. Both cards are overclocked over the reference design but BFG is slightly higher (460 v. 450). BFG also overclocks the memory, which eVGA doesn't do. Also, HardOCP's review of the BFG says it comes with GameDrive, a program that lets you play games without the CD. That seems pretty cool to me.

I have decided to move my 3400+ S754 over to a cheap ECS NF4 mobo (or MSI) just to be able to use a 7800GTX - but i'm going with a PNY because i can get it locally for $525.00 from a reseller. I should have it next week. If i were you i would get the eVGA for the step-up though. eVGA also have nice forums (which makes that somewhat accountable).

neubspeed said:
I went with EVGA because of the step-up program and the rising speculation of an Ultra 7800 coming out within 90 days.

EDIT: They all use the Nvidia reference design heatsink. Personally I think the metallic black EVGA heatsink is dead sexy and tasteful lol

QFT

eVGA all the way.

neubspeed said:

I like this... EVGA it is for me! :p

neubspeed said:

except for the fact that then, since there probably wont be one within 90 days, your stuck with a card that has only a limited warranty on it. Go BFG for the warranty and tech support.

In today's society it's hard finding a good company with great tech support, especially one that has actual american's on the other end.

Again, don't be a fool, choose BFG

Easy choice. EVGA.

Although if that Dell deal for $100-150 off the BFG is still good, hit that and hit it now.

The original poster infers that he is going to be voiding his warranty fairly quickly so he probably won't qualify for BFG's technical service or eVGA's step-up program. Hence, these are both null points.

A Factory Overclock is like spoon-feeding for an enthusiast; therefore, buying the eVGA would be better since it would be like working with a "clean canvas" (*as in no pre-mods*).

Just because you void the warranty doesn't mean people still don't take advantage of RMA'ing. I can't count how many times people on this forum have RMA'd their card who had changed it's HSF or OC'd it.

BFG All the Way!

Z(+)DIAC said:
Just because you void the warranty doesn't mean people still don't take advantage of RMA'ing. I can't count how many times people on this forum have RMA'd their card who had changed it's HSF or OC'd it.

BFG All the Way!

Just because people keep doing it, doesn't mean it's right. When people keep cheating the system it drives the price of cards up. Whenever I f-up from OCing, I bite the bullet and buy a new part, that's why none of my components are overclocked as is, I can't afford to replace them right now, when I can, I'll start overclocking mad. Don't be a parasite to a good company.

EVGA 7800 GTX (http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N525-AX)
Warranty: 1+1 Year
Tech Support: M-F 9-5:30
Clock Speeds: 430/1200 MHz (Site says 430MHz, but isn't it 450MHz?)
Step-Up Program: 90 Days
Output: Dual DVI, VIVO
Fan Cover: Black

BFG 7800 GTX (http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GTX_256_PCIX.html)
Warranty: Lifetime
Tech Support: 24/7
Clock Speeds: 460/1300 MHz
Step-Up Program: No
Output: Dual DVI, VIVO, HDTV
Fan Cover: Green & Silver

Choice seems easy to me too. :D

EDIT: I added the fan cover because it seems to be a selling point even though it's purely an aesthetic feature and you probably won't be able to see it anyways inside your PC. :confused:

I got the card and it's 450mhz stock for the eVGA. You really can't go wrong either way, eVGA has excellent support regardless if it's only 9-5. If you want the step-up program and the black heatsink, go eVGA. If you want the stock overclock go for the BFG. Warranty past two years is useless anyways because the card will be practically a coaster.

I think Dell is having a sale on the 7800 GTX right now. I'd get whatever brand they're selling.

Corrected information.

7800 GTX
nVidia core speed 430 MHz (but has multiple internal clocks)
Dual DVI (one of which is dual-link), VIVO, HDTV

EVGA has three packages available, they factory overclock to 450MHz. One is also bundled with BF2, another is shipped at the nVidia specified clock rate for consumers that do not want even a factory overclocked part. BFG factory overclocks to 460MHz. I don't see that anyone other than a benchmarker would care over that last 10MHz, and also since these universally are overclockable by the end user to 490MHz+...well you get where I'm going.

EVGA is lenient about end-user overclocking, BFG will slap a big VOID all over your RMA the first time they think they can. Furthermore I hear service complaints about BFG all the time whereas I don't see many about EVGA, having dealt with them personally I know theirs is quite good. BFG has a lifetime warranty, EVGA offers two years...I personally would take two years of good service over a lifetime of questionable service. Also if you're not buying your first video card, you probably know that if it needs an RMA it will likely be in the first few months, not after years of use - unless it's your fault.

ashmedai said:
EVGA is lenient about end-user overclocking, BFG will slap a big VOID all over your RMA the first time they think they can.

Do you have a source for that? I would have to believe that both companies discourage overclocking equally since it officially voids the warranty.

Seeing as it's officially a no no in both courts? Nope, just going off what I've read from both and my experiances with EVGA. Hopefully you're overclocking you know if you're the one that killed it and are responsible enough not to try to foist it off on them by RMAing it, whether or not they catch you. ^_^

I used to have the whole "BFG is the best" complex, but the more I read the more I get the impression that their lifetime warranty is a PR ploy only and has no real reflection on the quality of their products or services. I'd go with them if that Dell deal is still good just because over $100 off is pretty impossible to pass up if you're getting one already, otherwise EVGA.

BFG seems to have decent support. When people have had issues with their support and posted on here some dude from BFG replied and corrected the situation ASAP. I've never heard of any true horror stories regarding BFG.

I've heard of BFG horror stories.

Personally I'd get the XFX 450/1250 clocked 7800 b/c of the free gamepad, I want one.

There is also the XFX 490/1300 $600 7800 w/ BF2! That is a deal. Higher clock than BFG and lower price.

kick@ss said:
When people have had issues with their support and posted on here some dude from BFG replied and corrected the situation ASAP.

The most recent one I read here, after a while BFG said they'd fix it, and then it ended up still not being fixed...haven't read recently but I assume that the guy got the right cable eventually, although for all I know he's still waiting. I see a whole lot of stories about less than stellar service and very few of them going out of their way to make sure everything's good, or even trying terribly hard to fix things that are their fault in the first place.

I'm just really not very impressed by BFG. If you like them, enjoy.

Russ said:
I've heard of BFG horror stories.

Personally I'd get the XFX 450/1250 clocked 7800 b/c of the free gamepad, I want one.

There is also the XFX 490/1300 $600 7800 w/ BF2! That is a deal. Higher clock than BFG and lower price.

want to talk horror stories? Get that XFX and you'll have some :)

JSquid said:
want to talk horror stories? Get that XFX and you'll have some :)
It took 3 fucking months to RMA my XFX 6800 Ultra. During that time I was using a PCI FX5200, so you can imagine how I felt! And when it came back, It was 400/1100 not 425/1200 like my old one. XFX may have a higher clocked card but I'd never buy it.

Now that I think many of us can agree on.

Regardless of different opinions regarding EVGA and BFG they are at least widely accepted to be the top nVidia cardmakers.

Homer said:
except for the fact that then, since there probably wont be one within 90 days, your stuck with a card that has only a limited warranty on it. Go BFG for the warranty and tech support.

Do you really think your going to keep the BFG for your entire life? I find lifetime warranties laughable.

The evga has a 2 year warranty as long as you register the card. I change every 6 months if not sooner so a life tim warrany is irrelevant to me and most high end users . 2 years is more than enough.

Both companies are good so niether is a bad choice however dont make your decision based on lenght of warranty. Base it on failure rate. Keep in mind you will see more complaints about BFG but thats because alot more people in the forum have them and so a higher percentage will be there but in reality they are both the same quality. The step up program to me is what makes EVGA the choice

Indeed 6 months is pushing on hardware for me as well! BTW ur in CT too i wonder if its a CT sickness to keep upgrading! :p

Tazman2 said:
Indeed 6 months is pushing on hardware for me as well! BTW ur in CT too i wonder if its a CT sickness to keep upgrading! :p

LOL dude,I am just South of you in Southington.I own a store in New Haven and used to run the Joe D's sound center in West Hartford 15 years ago.

Small world :D

jacuzz1 said:
LOL dude,I am just South of you in Southington.I own a store in New Haven and used to run the Joe D's sound center in West Hartford 15 years ago.

Small world :D

We should "tweak" our PCs "together"! ahahahha :p

PS: Feel free to shoot me a PM! ;)

I went with the BFG card. Stock 100MHz memory OC is nice. The 460MHz core I probably could have gotten from just about any card. However I've seen many 7800GTX OC's that don't hit 1300MHz on the memory. This way I am gauranteed some overclock and anything else I get out of it is just nothing but bonus.

Plus CompUSA sells the BFG and PNY 7800GTX's and I actually got the BFG super cheap (cheap for a 7800GTX anyway.) Employeee discounts kick ass!

neubspeed said:
It took 3 fucking months to RMA my XFX 6800 Ultra. During that time I was using a PCI FX5200, so you can imagine how I felt! And when it came back, It was 400/1100 not 425/1200 like my old one. XFX may have a higher clocked card but I'd never buy it.

I had my 6800GT PCI-E on backorder for over a month during the shortage. During that time I used a Radeon 7000 PCI 32MB. Talk about pain. :eek:

i have an eVGA 6600gt that is excellent. I like their step up program. I have a BFG 6800 ultra that is kick ass. runs very well and never has skipped a beat for over a year. NOW i just got an eVGA 7800 GTX that had some minor problems, it was under 30 days old so i sent it back. I just got me a BFG 7800 GTX yesterday. No real difference in the overall visual quality, but runs fast and copes with demanding scenes better than the eVGA did. That may be real or imagined but the BFG seems to run smoother. Ive always had BFG cards either bymistake or on purpose except for the 6600gt. I just like BFG. I agree that in video cards there is no lifetime. If youy have a card nowadays more than a year before moving up thats a real long time. I cant wait to $LI two 7800s!!!!

Interesting. I think it has more to do with thecard you get regardless of brand (EG the QC of that paticular card). You might get lucky and get a really good A-Open card, or Rosewill card, and you might get a dud BFG, but al least if you DO get a dud BFG you are covered like fly paper with them. No hassle or tussle to get a replacement. No one on the phone speaking chiwanese trying to tell you " yu rese' bio on maincar wif dele button? "You call ba chinee ti lata si o' clo' your ti" and you get ansa for car question".

Tazman2 said:
We should "tweak" our PCs "together"! ahahahha :p

PS: Feel free to shoot me a PM! ;)

Only if you look like Nvidia's Luna
:cool: ;)

zone_86 said:
Interesting. I think it has more to do with thecard you get regardless of brand (EG the QC of that paticular card). You might get lucky and get a really good A-Open card, or Rosewill card, and you might get a dud BFG, but al least if you DO get a dud BFG you are covered like fly paper with them. No hassle or tussle to get a replacement. No one on the phone speaking chiwanese trying to tell you " yu rese' bio on maincar wif dele button? "You call ba chinee ti lata si o' clo' your ti" and you get ansa for car question".
LMAO,big time! play that chinese music,white boy! :D

I bought two 6800 ultras and now I can upgrade to 7800 gtx. I made a wise choice. Evga has had excellent support and goes extra mile for their product. Does it really matter. Depends on what features you want the most. I should have my 7800's in by monday.

Back