BFG Messed up, EVGA saved the day

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
This is my situation, I’m an army officer serving in Iraq, I built my new system for Christmas, and the video card I purchased was a BFG 6800 OC from Best Buy, well my first card was DOA, I installed the second card and everything was fine for a few days, well the card started producing Flickering in 2D and 3D, tested the card in two other systems and the same symptoms, also installed my brothers Leadtek 6800GT in my system and my symptoms went away. I called tech support in January but before I could go through the RMA process, my deployment date was pushed up, so I had no time to take care of this. Well I have recently had a death in the family, my father passed, so I was allowed 10 days leave, before I arrived home I called BFG Tech support, explained the situation last Wednesday July 27th, I gave the tech my CC number and had my wife fax over my receipt from Best Buy so that he could give me an advance replacement for my card, I had to pay for UPS shipping, that was no problem, the shipping is from Illinois to Louisiana, Since I called early Wednesday he assured me that my card would ship that day, on Wed the 27th. The card didn’t arrive, so I contacted BFG and they told me that they had no record of the shipping of my card, So I had to go through everything again with that technician, and I explained that I would be re deploying to Iraq on the 4th and that I would need overnight shipping, to make sure that the card could get here and I could get it working for my wife, well as of today Tues Aug 2nd still no card, I called tech support on Monday night to get the tracking number, they couldn’t find it, they told me to call this morning, I called and they couldn’t find the tracking number, I just got off the phone with them this evening at 4:00PM and they still couldn’t find the tracking number, the manager Mike wouldn’t even get on the phone with me, I kept my cool and did not get upset with the agent on the phone at all and I even apologized before we hung up. But this story has a happy ending my buddy deals with EVGA at his pc shop in New York, and he told me to contact them, well let me tell you, I spoke to a very nice concerned Rep, told him that I would be deploying this Thursday, I faxed over my Receipt from Best Buy, sent them a copy from the manager over at BFG and faxed a copy of my orders over, Well they are sending me a BRAND NEW 6800 ULTRA shipped overnight for $99.00 bucks. That says it all. I’m not looking to start a flame war or anything, I’m just posting this to inform my fellow military members that BFG simply does not support us or the situation we are in. I did not want ANYTHING for free, I gave them my CC number to pay for shipping , and they dropped the ball twice. Here is the copy that I received from the tech manager at BFG assuring me that my card would be shipped Monday overnight, and here we are Tuesday evening No Card, they couldn’t even give me a tracking number.

[Ticket#: 2001198] rma status
BFG Support [[email protected]]
The rma will ship monday and you should have it tuesday morning at no cost to you for hte mix up

Thank you for contacting BFG Support.

-
Michael G –

The damage has already been done, if and when I ever get the replacement card, i'm going to send it along with the defective card back to them, I flushed 325.00 down the toilet, they can keep their card.

I am glad to know that someone took care of you. It is awesome that eVGA stepped up to the plate for you when you needed it.

So eVGA is sending you a 6800Ultra for $99 and you're sending them a BFG 6800OC? WTF?!?!?!

I don't get this story at all. Why would eVGA do anything about your situation with BFG?

That is cool.

I can't wait until I move to Brea in January. I am sooooo going for that Accounting position that they have open. I don't care if I have to intern for a year....I want in. :)

No, I don't have to send them my old card in, the sales manager is a gulf war vet, and the reason they are doing it is because I am defending their country in WAR.

thomasward00 said:
No, I don't have to send them my old card in, the sales manager is a gulf war vet, and the reason they are doing it is because I am defending their country in WAR.

If I were working anywhere...that would be more than enough reason for me to help out in anyway I could.

Please,

I don't want this to start into a flame war or anything, I get almost all of my info from these forums, and they have been truly helpful to me in the past, I mainly posted to inform military personel that visit this site, it is my job to serve, the military payed for my college education and I love my country, and thanks for the understanding guys.

thomasward00 said:

it's funny how you say "I am defending their country in WAR." is this not your country as well?

that's kool that evga is helping you out with the situation your in. i think i'm set on getting my 7800 from evga now. =T

Please accept our apologies for this poor service. This is not the type of service BFG is known for and is unacceptable. I would like to handle your case personally.

Please PM me at your convenience.

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

sherkelman said:
Please accept our apologies for this poor service. This is not the type of service BFG is known for and is unacceptable. I would like to handle your case personally.

Please PM me at your convenience.

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

See the fact that a BFG rep frequents the forums here and has handled many of these cases personally is why I don't worry about BFG's service and support.

Yet another reason why I went BFG this round. I actually had eVGA last time. I had no problems, but I think the BFG 7800GTX OC is awesome and has a good bundle to boot.

I just wish there were 64bit VIVO drivers for the card.

Well,

I'm posting to say that everything looks like it is going to work out fine, I appreciate that my case has been elevated and will only purchase BFG in the future, I apologize to everyone on the forum about my rant, I was just a bit flustered, there is just so much to take care of before I leave. Here was the message I recieved tonight.

Thomas,

First of all, my utmost and sincere apology for any, and I mean any inconvenience we've caused you. You and all of the troops serving on behalf of our country are always at the forefront of our minds at BFG, and especially mine as I have many friends in the armed forces as well as relatives both still alive and passed away. Even if you were not serving for our country the service you've received is DEFINITELY not representative of the BFG service we are proud to call “one of the best in the industry.”

Your problem has been escalated to a BFG internal meeting tomorrow to fix what appears to be a broken process, so that this problem is rectified in the most expedient manner.

It is 9:05 pm here in Chicago, IL. Tomorrow morning (Aug. 3rd) I will personally be shipping you 1 6800 Ultra 256MB AGP card overnight UPS for your inconvenience, shipping paid by BFG. You’ll find some extra goodies along with it that I hope you enjoy. I will get you the tracking information once I’ve processed the shipment.

If you could please supply me with the address and person you would like me to address the shipment I would much appreciate it.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to call our main line and ask for me directly at 847-281-3110.

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing (and 1/3 owner of BFG)

Sir-Fragalot said:
See the fact that a BFG rep frequents the forums here and has handled many of these cases personally is why I don't worry about BFG's service and support.

Yet another reason why I went BFG this round. I actually had eVGA last time. I had no problems, but I think the BFG 7800GTX OC is awesome and has a good bundle to boot.

I just wish there were 64bit VIVO drivers for the card.

That's why I own a BFG. gg.

Not to be a dork or anything, but I don't know yet how I feel toward BFG.

On one hand they came on the boards and helped him out. That is a good thing.

But on the other....eVGA stepped up when they didn't even have to, and BFG messed up at least two times and it took some "bad press" on some boards to clear it up.

I will have to do some more research on both companies.

if i ever go nvidia in the future, evga and bfg will have my business, even if other OEMs perform better

Its interesting looking at how this all turned out. You managed to score two 6800Ultras for just $100. Sell one and you make money for getting a bad video card....can't beat that.

Also, I am quite interested in knowing what the "goodies" are.

i love both companys and i understand this guys dilemma and i am happy evga stood in when bfg dropped the ball 2 times this thread will not stop me from buying bfg but i will buy evga more than i will bfg even if it performs better. not a diss to bfg @ all my next 2 cards are gonna be bfg 6600gt off these forums just because there in my price range. And for the army guy hey i would be over there with you but because of my past uncle sam wont let me go into any or the armed forces dam childhood depression and mental hospitals good luck over there be safe...

Guys,

I want to thank everyone for reading and understanding my situation, I didn't want to cause problems for anyone, I just wanted a working video card, I'm going to refuse the Evga card in the morning and call to reimburse them for shipping, right is right, they were just trying to help me, hopefully everything will work out ok.

Kudoes to you.

Hope you get a working card before you have to go back out. :)

nice story.. didnt realize BFG ppl go on these forums.. take care and keep safe when u head out again :D

I think this all just goes to show that every company, at some point, can screw up. Sometimes you get idiots over the phone.

Glad BFG is rectifying it, they make damn good cards.

Good luck. While us nerds are virtually battling iraqi rebels in BF2 you'll be using a real M4 with your life on the line to defend your country. Lets hope you get back soon and can enjoy that video card.

Wow, I am impressed with eVGA. If they offered OC products like BFG does I would definately go with them for my next card.

I am glad to see BFG stopped the foot shooting and came through. GL to ya back in Iraq. If you ever have a DSN available during the Iraqi day, give me a call @ 692-8750 and ask for SPC Wood. I'll be glad to patch another [H]'er home.

Godspeed Thomas, I did my time in the sandbox in the '80s, I can appreciate your situation. Glad to know there are companies out there that are willing to help our military guys anyway they can.

Ronbo said:
Godspeed Thomas, I did my time in the sandbox in the '80s, I can appreciate your situation. Glad to know there are companies out there that are willing to help our military guys anyway they can.

Godspeed my friend and .....Thank You two both of you and all our service men and women

I'd just like to jump in and say that we are willing to do what it takes to resolve customer issues where and when they pop up, AND fix any processes that caused the issue(s) in the first place. Sometimes we aren't aware of an issue until someone brings it to our attention. We've addressed several customer issues that we only knew about due to these forums.

We aren't perfect and we know that. There have been some hiccups with our service, and we are committed to fixing every last one of them.

I would also like to say that if our Technical Support email and/or phone service isn't handling a particular RMA properly, we would rather learn about it directly by someone contacting either our Product Manager Dave Ash ([email protected]) or myself ([email protected]). It's great that the threads are here, but contacting us directly is the fastest way to get resolution after Tech Support.

Thanks

Everything looks great with the new card, no flickering or texture corruption in Guild wars, i'm downloading CSS right now, to test, I haven't tried EQ2, but so far so good and guys my card is idling at between 50-53c and my ambient is about 36c How is that?

Thanks for the help guys

Depending on the airflow of your case, that temp is acceptable for a 6800GT OC.

John Malley said:
I'd just like to jump in and say that we are willing to do what it takes to resolve customer issues where and when they pop up, AND fix any processes that caused the issue(s) in the first place. Sometimes we aren't aware of an issue until someone brings it to our attention. We've addressed several customer issues that we only knew about due to these forums.

We aren't perfect and we know that. There have been some hiccups with our service, and we are committed to fixing every last one of them.

I would also like to say that if our Technical Support email and/or phone service isn't handling a particular RMA properly, we would rather learn about it directly by someone contacting either our Product Manager Dave Ash ([email protected]) or myself ([email protected]). It's great that the threads are here, but contacting us directly is the fastest way to get resolution after Tech Support.

Thanks

Good to hear and kudoes to you sir.
:)

My first experience with eVGA was when I bought my 6800GT and then did a painless upgrade to a Ultra for just the difference in price. Very impressed with this company..

I'm most certainly impressed with both card makers after reading this, I'm planning on going with BFG for my SLI setup but eVGA has grabbed my attention. Both examples of what cust service should always be, but so often isn't.

Thomas, Take care and keep your head on a swivel over there and if you see any guys with (1VB) on their gear, introduce yourself and tell em "Lead" said to share the care package goodies with ya ;)

Since the issue has been resolved and you got a new card, you should PM a mod to change the topic. I wish BFG/EVGA did "brand swaps" since I'd love to give them my Leadtek 7800 GTX + some cash in exchange for their 7800 GTX heh.

You know, if my father had passed while i was deployed, the last thing I would be worried about is my dead vid card (especially when it has a lifetime warranty that can be returned at any time). Just my thoughts...

gsboriqua said:
You know, if my father had passed while i was deployed, the last thing I would be worried about is my dead vid card (especially when it has a lifetime warranty that can be returned at any time). Just my thoughts...

I'm going to 'say' this politely...you are out of line.

Whenever a parent suddenly dies, you sometimes do things to feel normal. Things that have no emotional weight, like PC gaming or getting menial tasks done just so you don't have to think about what's going on.

Frankly, you don't know what you'd do in his shoes.

/offtopic

kpedge said:
I'm going to 'say' this politely...you are out of line.

Whenever a parent suddenly dies, you sometimes do things to feel normal. Things that have no emotional weight, like PC gaming or getting menial tasks done just so you don't have to think about what's going on.

Frankly, you don't know what you'd do in his shoes.

/offtopic

Werd

I love that BFG is on the forums. They jump on problems quick. No company will ever build perfect products for the consumer market so its nice to see BFG comming through and fixing issues.

Back