BFG Asylum 5600 256mb AGP

S

Spire_X

I just got this card at a yard sale 35 bucks still sealed was this a good buy? and if so is it a better card then the ati 9600se that I am use'n...........can I overclock it? and to what speeds? the guy told me that u can oc it to make it a ultra is that true? is there a soft mod for it like the ati? or is it only oc?

Good price. Not a great performer, but comparible to a 9600, probably better than a 9600se.

You can overclock it, but don't expect miracles.

For comparison, without AA/AF this card is about 10% slower than a GeForce 4 ti4200. With AA/AF its a lot faster. And yeh its a lot better than a 9600se.

I oc'ed it at core-389 and mem-611 with stock cooling.........is that good? I am gettin 20,000+ with aquamark3

Spire_X said:
I oc'ed it at core-389 and mem-611 with stock cooling.........is that good? I am gettin 20,000+ with aquamark3

Well, for comparison...

Stock speeds:
FX 5600 128mb: 325mhz core, 550mhz memory
FX 5600 Ultra v1: 350mhz core, 700mhz memory
FX 5600 Ultra v2: 400mhz core, 800mhz memory

So, with your speeds you are coming close to the 5600 UItra v2 in core and close to the 5600 UItra v1 in memory. So yeh its real good, probably will get performance somewhere in between the 5600 Ultra v1 and v2. Great deal you got there.

I tried to oc it a lil more since the temp was like really low at 56c I set the threshold at like 134c it froze in the middle of testin it? is this a heat prob? It didn't warn me....just froze if not is this a mem or core prob......can I go higher on one or the other?

hummm sumone must know the limits to this card.......I mean what am I doin wrong?

Spire_X said:
I tried to oc it a lil more since the temp was like really low at 56c I set the threshold at like 134c it froze in the middle of testin it? is this a heat prob? It didn't warn me....just froze if not is this a mem or core prob......can I go higher on one or the other?

Thats the core locking up, if you wait a few second it would probably continue the bench at a lower clockrate, its a design of the FX/6 series of cards, so your clocked just a tad too high on the core.

If memory is too high it will usually either just crash out of the game/bench or you'll start seeing artifacts and graphical errors.

Back