BFG 8800GT OC at BestBuy

I went to go buy one at my local shop and they were completely out of them. All stores in AZ were out.
I picked 2 up at Fry's and they run great. Same brand and model

BestBuy.com had them in stock online, but not in my store.

So it's a good card then, and just a happy fluke that they're selling em so cheap? Good to hear...

BestBuy.com has the BFG 8800GT 512 for $237. Something seems wrong about that. Best Buy ain't usually the place to go for a good price, but that seems like a great price for a slightly OC'ed 8800GT (newegg has em for $280+).

Anyone know what the story is here?

Lol qft I hate worst buy with a passion but it looks like you got a great deal grats.

they have them instock at frys? the one in tempe?

how much?

$279

Call first and ask for the PC department (Not the components dept)
Ask them to check their shelves, inventory is udpated at night only. I talked to Ricky on Sat and he said they had lots. I dont know how many they have now but I asked for 2 and he said OK come get them I'll put them in will call for you.

Does anyone know how well this card overclocks on average? I have a BFG 6800GT AGP that has served me well and like the brand, but are the cards still good? eVGA is getting a lot of rave because of the step-up program, so I wonder if it would be worth it to hold out for one of those.

My past two cards have been XFX and eVGA cards and I've loved them. I've never owned a BFG card (until now) so I don't know how well it'll do.

I'll report back in this thread though.

Best off buying this online and taking it to the store with a 10% / 12% coupon and getting some money back. That actually makes it pretty hot. Savings of $20+

This should be in hot deals if it's actually what it says it is.
Put in my order for one & cancelled my XFX from Dell, beats waiting for them to get their shit together.

Never mind, I see that it is already in [H]ot Deals.

Good luck getting one, I ordered back on 11/20 when it was 249. Still no news on the shipping. Hooray for Best Buy's operational efficiency!

Ouch. They SAY it ships on one day... and they've got "Guaranteed by X-mas" shipping so...

Well,

They were wrong, it didn't ship in one day.

It shipped THAT day! Came two days later. I haven't installed it yet, since I've been out of town, but I cannot wait!

Any suggestions for first fire-up on it? I'm gonna do CoD4 I think. I love me some CoD.

Yeah it shows 279.99 now...and they are sold out!!! Damn I was ready to buy it for my new rig I'm building.

got one yesterday. last one in the my area, and yeah i used the 12 percent coupon for 224 out the door.

i'll give a quick report of what i've found so far

for starters i have owned video cards from a good number of manufacturers, and if i don't have them myself they have gone into clients machines. I consider the big 3 evga, xfx, and bfg like many of you do, gainward burned me too much, asus support is bad, same with msi, chaintech, and pretty much any company that jumped on video cards as a supplement to an already sustaining motherboard division. I used bfg exclusively at home prior to evga getting big, and i used xfx exclusively before that when they were pine technologies (i had their tnt through geforce 3).

Bfg treated me well on rma, when i called they never asked where i got the card, or when i bought it, they just treated the problem and gave me an rma number, and i was one of the lucky fellows who got stepped up to the 6x series from a ti4600 that died. always have taken care of me quickly and don't give me crap as long as i have their stock cooler.

xfx i have never rma'd to, but i did use tech support a long time ago, not much to report

evga has been great with rma's EXCEPT if you forget to register cards for warranty, they have given me trouble with this even though i'm the original owner, i think they are a bit too strict here, otherwise they have great programs and are helpful

the card itself, yeah its a measly overclock out of the box, but i have that card running past ssc specs without breaking a sweat, companies can't tell what you driver clock them at so go to town, every edition of a card is made exactly the same, they just check max oc and tier out the cards they sell that way.

and before this card i had 8800gts 640, which is in the gf's system, i oc'd both in my system and ran crysis and 3dmark05 and 06, the gt beat the gts on all fronts by a small but distinct margin. I'll probably move to the new gts or the 9 series in the spring, but really for the price it outperforms my 320 dollar gts

and yes the fan whines like a beast, i'm going aftermarket so i can push it a bit harder, but no big deal, yeah its more money, but i should be able to keep it for at least the next series of cards

sucks for you guys :p

IMG_2559.jpg

I got one too and it was very hard to find. Went to 3 that claim sold out but only one have it. Its also very hot with stock HSf. I was idling at 46 and load 86-90 after game of HL2-EP2/Crysis. I just replace with the accelero s1 + antec 120mm fan @ low. It now max around 48-48 and idle at 36-37. Very cramp with the S1.

Does anyone know how well this card overclocks on average?

I bought this when it first hit the shelves at BB a month or so ago. It's been running rock stable at 700/1000 since then. It's also runs nice and cool with RivaTuner controlling the fan speed. It has more room for overclock (I've done 725/1050), but 700/1000 seems to be a stable sweet spot.

Ahhhhh

It feels good :)

Initial thoughts:

-Went in without a hitch.
-Fan doesn't seem as loud as people complained about.
-Oblivion, max settings, clean install, 45-60 FPS outdoors (Praise Jeebus)
-CoD4, high settings, runs well. Anyone know how to turn on FPS in CoD4?
-Hellgate looked good at full settings, mouse cursor ran like crap.

Rig (everything is stock out of the box):
Intel Quad Q6600 @2.4
BFG 8800 GT 512 OC
2 gigs Patriot 5300
19" (1440x900) Widescreen Viewsonic

Local BB had them listed as in stock on Sat. Took a drive down to check it out. Somebody else drove over an hour for the same thing, no boxes on the shelves. He asked for help and they looked in the stock area, couldn't find them anywhere even though they listed 3 in stock. They tried to order one online for the guy, but none in the warehouse. He left a bit angry. I decided that if they had 3 listed in stock, there had to be one somewhere. 5 minutes later I found 2 behind about 20 boxes of BFG 8600GT OC's, box was almost identical so easy to see why they ended up there. I tried to run down the other guy because I felt bad for him, but he was gone. Oh well, ended up with the card for $237, pretty pleased so far. I left the other one where it was, might still be there for all I know unless somebody else had the idea to dig for it.

When the 8800GT was released the only place in VA that had one was a best buy, it was $269.99 and was actually cheaper their than it was all the eTailers at the time. :rolleyes:

wow you couldnt use a dual slot card if you wanted to:eek:

nope, although thats an aftermarket chipset cooler. and pricey one at that. Swiftech MCX159-CU

I bought a HD3870 and was debating returning the chipset heatsink to stock low profile, but decided on keeping the chipset heatsink and returning the hd3870, had to slap a zalman vf700 just to fit. and the gt is faster so win win.

wow you couldnt use a dual slot card if you wanted to:eek:

I'm in the same boat, was glad to finally find a single slot card with some decent performance. The only other options until now were 256mb 7900's or 8600's. If you want to see a tight install, I'll have to crack mine back open.

Does anyone know how well this card overclocks on average? I have a BFG 6800GT AGP that has served me well and like the brand, but are the cards still good? eVGA is getting a lot of rave because of the step-up program, so I wonder if it would be worth it to hold out for one of those.

I bought mine back in the beginning of November at Best Buy and have been running it at 700/1000 with the fan at 63%, any louder and I can hear it. It stays below 70c with that setup.

Back