BFG 8800 GTX SLI with Accelero Xtreme 8800's Setup

bclark

n00b
I am unable to fit these cards in SLI in my Antec P182. Would he possible to cut out the metal divider between the motherboard/video cards, etc and the power supply? If so, which method would be best recommended? The card is too "thick" as that metal divider is in the way :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I wouldn't advise cutting any electrical component just because the card doesn't fit. Especially if you've never done it before. Modding components when you don't know the specifics of the components is a very dangerous game.
If the case is the problem... you can definitely mod this without hurting the expensive electrical components inside (provided you actually remove the hardware inside before cutting). Just make sure to watch for sharp edges after the fact. You may accidentally make it so the add-on card slots don't close correctly, so be prepared. It all depends on what you're trying to do.

As seen in this picture:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cases/Antec P182/p182-09.jpg

I would just like to remove the metal part that separates the PSU and the bottom fan from the rest of the case. By doing so, I am confident that I will be able to fit both of my 8800GTX's in with their respective coolers as there's a few cm's of space that's not in use. When I try to insert my 2nd 8800GTX it will not fit because that metal part stops me from being able to insert the card into the necessary pci-express slot.

I don't see an issue with modifying the case there. Just make sure it's an empty case when you do that (don't ask why I said that, trust me; I have my reasons). I wouldn't remove the piece unless I was sure it wouldn't compromise the stability of the case.
You'd have to talk to a case modder to see if there are better options, or a different way of doing things. Either way good luck and let us know. :)

I don't imagine it will have any effect on the stability of the chassis (can anyone verify) if I remove that metal piece, I would just like confirmation before going through with the modification. Has anyone had this problem before with their Antec P182 case? if so, what was the best method for correcting this issue?

Thanks!

The metal plate is mostly there for sound dampening between the PSU and the main interior of the case, as well as a wind tunnel for the PSU and whatever lower hard disk drives you may have. As for structural integrity, I don't know if it'll affect it that much; the Antec P180 is one sturdy case! :)

Back