BFG 6800GT Qustions

ICE_PIMP

n00b
Hey whatsup! My first post ever here. Just signed up 1min ago!

I just ordered a BFG 6800GT OC from gameve and it should be here anyday now. Anyhow i have 2 questions. Starting with the first one.

1. Does the GT use 1.6ns memory like the Ultra or does it use 2.0ns memory?

2. Being a former ATi boy :p i succesfully flashed my 9800Pro to XT. So was wondering how i should flash my GT to an Ultra? I have an Ultra BIOS here just waiting to be fit :) Are there any guides out there on how to go?

Id apreciate all the help!

//ICE

It uses the good stuff. Major diff between GT/Ultra is the single slot less power lower clockspeeds.

Ok so 1.6ns memory then? But i cant help THINKING that i read somewhere that GT uses 2.0ns?

And about the Flashing.. Anybody have any info on that?

ICE_PIMP said:
Ok so 1.6ns memory then? But i cant help THINKING that i read somewhere that GT uses 2.0ns?

IIRC the GT uses slower memory, but I'm not positive.

And about the Flashing.. Anybody have any info on that?

Not really. Using a simple OC util and stock cooling most have gotten to Ultra speeds, so I don't think anyone has seen the need for flashing.

tranCendenZ said:
IIRC the GT uses slower memory, but I'm not positive.

Not really. Using a simple OC util and stock cooling most have gotten to Ultra speeds, so I don't think anyone has seen the need for flashing.

Yea i know. First of i will clock it up to Ultra speeds and see if its stable. And if it is i really want to flash it. So that it stays that way even if i move the card into different systems etc. And its always neat to have it say 6800 Ultra in system specs and so on :p

Flashing is stoopid, here's a voltmod if you hit a voltage ceiling though. I personally wouldnt do much past the pencil bypass, doing this voids the warranty, but I doubt people would notice the pencil.

Thanks m8. Ill try the volt mod if it wont go higher. But i really want to flash it like i did my 9800Pro. If your a perfectionist like me youd understand :p

ICE_PIMP said:
Hey whatsup! My first post ever here. Just signed up 1min ago!

I just ordered a BFG 6800GT OC from gameve and it should be here anyday now. Anyhow i have 2 questions. Starting with the first one.

1. Does the GT use 1.6ns memory like the Ultra or does it use 2.0ns memory?

2. Being a former ATi boy :p i succesfully flashed my 9800Pro to XT. So was wondering how i should flash my GT to an Ultra? I have an Ultra BIOS here just waiting to be fit :) Are there any guides out there on how to go?

Id apreciate all the help!

//ICE

The GT does use the 2.0 and the 6800 NU uses the 2.2 if I'm not mistaken.

I've got the BFG 6800 GT OC in my PC right now and I couldn't be more impressed with this card. Runs FarCry, UT2004 and Painkiller (games I've played so far) with everything just cranked up and all the eye candies turned all the way up.

You will love this card!!

ICE_PIMP said:
Thanks m8. Ill try the volt mod if it wont go higher. But i really want to flash it like i did my 9800Pro. If your a perfectionist like me youd understand :p

If you find a bios mod will y9ou please post it? i'd like to give it a try and see what she can do.

I have an Ultra BIOS right here.. Can you upload files in this fourm? If not i can e-mail it to you and if you get it to run you can tell me how to do in return :D

[BB] Rick James said:
The GT does use the 2.0 and the 6800 NU uses the 2.2 if I'm not mistaken.

I've got the BFG 6800 GT OC in my PC right now and I couldn't be more impressed with this card. Runs FarCry, UT2004 and Painkiller (games I've played so far) with everything just cranked up and all the eye candies turned all the way up.

You will love this card!!

The 6800GT uses Samsung 2.0ns (500Mhz) memory. The 6800u uses the more expensive Samsung 1.6ns (600Mhz) memory.

I also wouldn't try flashing your GT to an ultra. It has the full 16 pipelines so just OC it to ultra speeds (400/1100).

I wouldn't flash it either!! I read that the only thing that does it makes the card NEED extra voltage, or you will get errors and problems...and you can't give it to it since there is only 1 molex connector....is this true?

eeh.. GT has 16 pipes to so i dont see what the problem is. And for the extra molex why would the bios want more voltage? the only difference is that its 50mhz higer core and 100mhz higher memory clocks. So if you wouldve clocked it that way it would want that extra voltage even then

ICE_PIMP said:
eeh.. GT has 16 pipes to so i dont see what the problem is. And for the extra molex why would the bios want more voltage? the only difference is that its 50mhz higer core and 100mhz higher memory clocks. So if you wouldve clocked it that way it would want that extra voltage even then

I dont think you need to bother with trying to flash it though.

You can see what to expect from a 6800GT in this thread here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31165

Flashing it won't gain you anything other than Windows reading it as an Ultra, and taking a pretty big chance of screwing up the card.

heyheyhey said:
Flashing it won't gain you anything other than Windows reading it as an Ultra, and taking a pretty big chance of screwing up the card.

Thats exactly what i want it to do. And im willing to take that risk

no need to flash leave it be and use coolbits...if your really that hard up...dump the bios on your card to a floppy or something and see if you can get someone whos good with hex to modify that BIOS's clock speeds at stock then reflash yoru card with the SAME bios just with higher stock speeds....

sounds like an RMA waiting to happen.

not worth the bragging rights, when people are OC'ing 6800GT's to 440 core via a slider bar.

RMA = return merchandise authorization.

Flashing the bios on a GT with an Ultra is a very bad idea. You wont gain extra performance from it. You will risk damaging the card. Aside from changing the memory timings, it also changes the voltages. Keep in mind that the GT is using the slower 2.0ns memory and trying to force it into voltage and timings meant for 1.6ns could fry the card at worst. At best, the card will lock up OS during POST.

Its your money to waste if you fry the card trying it, just dont expect a warranty replacement.

RMA=Return Merchandise Authorization Number
This number is necessary to ensure proper tracking and handling of returned goods

When you buy a product from a reseller and it's broke, defective, wrong product etc. you request an RMA number to facilitate returning it to the reseller for repair, exchange, etc.

Ok thanks for the info guys.. I have now reconsidered.. Maby its not that smart of an idea anyway :/ But what about all the people who flashed their 5900. 5900U to 5950U. They didnt have any problems? Or is the case different here or what?

ICE_PIMP said:
Ok thanks for the info guys.. I have now reconsidered.. Maby its not that smart of an idea anyway :/ But what about all the people who flashed their 5900. 5900U to 5950U. They didnt have any problems? Or is the case different here or what?

Of course it's different. Take a good look at the 5900 and the 5950. Then do the same with a GT and an Ultra.

Vagrant Zero said:
And a whole damned slot, power reqs, memory, etc.

well yea but nothing that would effect clocking or flashing.. its not like the bios refuses to install because the cooling isnt double sloted :D

ICE_PIMP said:
well yea but nothing that would effect clocking or flashing.. its not like the bios refuses to install because the cooling isnt double sloted :D

It might because it isn't double molexed.

ICE_PIMP said:

Ultimately it's up to you. I heard 6800GTs make nice doorstops after they are flashed to 6800Us :)

Go for it, and let us know how the RMA works out ;)

RMA a volt mod? I can just imagine

ICE PIMP: So I'd like to RMA this baby...she died.
BFG DUDE: What from?
ICE PIMP: Um...well you see I had it on and running...and was using it...and it died, all by it's lonesome. I didn't volt mod nosiree, not me, scout's honor, I'm babbling, I babble when I'm lieing..I like pie.
BFG DUDE: It looks like someone took a knife to it.
ICE PIMP: No no no, that's just from the case fan.
BFG DUDE: Your case fan took a knife to your vid card?
ICE PIMP: No no no, don't you watch anime man, you know how those crazy ninjas use air and stuff to cut people cuz they're crazy ninjas and stuff.
BFG DUDE: So your case fan is a crazy ninja and it used air to knife your vid card.
ICE PIMP: Exactly.

Back