BFG 6800 Ultra (OC) or a ATi x800xtPe

BFG 6800 Ultra (OC) or a ATi x800xtPe???

• BFG 6800 Ultra (OC)

Votes: 156 46.0%
  • ATi x800xtPe

Votes: 183 54.0%

• Total voters
Ummm...since nobody seems to have one, what the hell is in my computer right now? I just "supposedly" got it in the mail and installed it then. Read before you post. 3dmark03 at stock settings 12961.

botreaper10 said:
Ummm...since nobody seems to have one, what the hell is in my computer right now? I just "supposedly" got it in the mail and installed it then. Read before you post. 3dmark03 at stock settings 12961.

LOL! So YOU"RE the "alleged" owner of the "supposedly" fast X800!

Ramfart said:
For all you in this thread that bashed my comment, you say the 6800 is the greatest and is available now! or has been at Newegg or wherever, WHERE IS YOURS????! WHERE ARE 3DMARK SCORES. You do not speak from experience. Keep believing what you read while we ATI X800XT players are really playing with hardware that is in our PC's now and not lusting over a card on backorder that no one has. Does anyone in this thread or forum have one. It didn't matter to me ATI or NVIDIA both are incredible cards, I just sick of waiting and purchased the one that was actually, physically available.

Tisk Tisk :rolleyes:

Put Your Head Between Your Legs and Kiss Your Ass Goodbye!
:eek:
convexion said:
he has a 6800 lol. read the sig.

convexion said:
6800 ultra...not x800. Actually i am thoroughly impressed with how much better the games look and run compared to my 5900xt. I am sure that i would be happy with an x800 too. They are both incredible cards/series.

botreaper10 said:
6800 ultra...not x800. Actually i am thoroughly impressed with how much better the games look and run compared to my 5900xt. I am sure that i would be happy with an x800 too. They are both incredible cards/series.

Yea i'm starting to hate my 5900XT after reading all of these new video card reviews. I want my 6800GT now damn it! I'm tired of not having flawless performance in Morrowind!

My 9700 PRO had flawless performance in Morrowind at highest resolution max settings ;) Only cost 140$ or something nowadays perhaps less ;)

After reading one of the most mindless threads on this forum all I have to say is the following:

1) Both 6800 Ultra and X800 XT PE are awesome cards. On both cards you can game decently at 1600*1200 resolution by turning up AA to 4x and AF to 8x and I think that is all the gamer can desire for.

2) Both cards trade spots when it comes to benchmarks and showing that a 6800 GT is faster than an X800 Pro is not worthwhile since you simply cannot compare a 12 pipe card with one that has 16 pipes eventhough they have the same price point. 6800GT is the better buy and even my left nut knows that!

3) When it comes to purchasing the highest end card that is in the 499 price range, you can go either way depending on what games you play and what your preference is. Saying that CoD has 200 frames on X800 series and 250 on 6800Ultra hence, I will grab the 6800 Ultra is quite stupid because if you are a gamer who yearns for IQ in his/her games you do not play without vsync and anything over 85 or 100 (depending on your monitor/lcd) is worthless.

4) About the Far Cry issue there are bugs with both of the new cards. Wait till either crytek releases a patch or for some certified WHQL drivers before you start crapping your pants on performance. (p.s. I am a little out of loop but is the banding issue with 6800 series cards fixed in Far Cry? I thought it was a game bug?)

5) nVidia released a beta driver. Remember beta drivers never count. If you are basing your performance off a beta driver you are more stupid than the rock I keep under my bed. When nVidia actually has a WHQL driver that outperforms ATi cards go ahead buy nVidia. Similar for ATi, Cat 4.7 beta are performing really well with games on X800 series but that does NOT mean you go and buy an X800 card based off beta drivers. You arent going to run beta drivers all the time are you?

6) Dont be a fanboy. Give your money to the company that YOU think deserves it. Personally, I was planning on buying an X800 Pro series card. Then nVidia released the beta drivers and I saw the 6800GT outperforming X800 Pro on many occassions but I will still NOT purchase my card until I see benchmarks from people or reviewers comparing WHQL drivers from both companies. I simply cannot let any of these companies play me a fool with beta drivers.

KoRn666 said:
what do u think i should get? BFG 6800 Ultra (OC) or a ATi x800xtPe

You will be happy just like me when you receive the X800XT PE! ;)

47d6fca0.jpg

*Compared to the 9800XT
48180e00.jpg

Inside the case view
48380e00.jpg

FUTUREMARK 3DMARK01 SCORE

Crap that is from bestbuy right? I just ordered TrackIR 3 PRO with the trackhat since I didn´t want to use my golf cap but it would be awesome gaming with my ATI hat instead.

Then when I have friends around they will start asking about my hat and I can start talking about my computer hardware while still pretending to be modest ;) Would have saved me 20 $ too :p

Hello,

oqvist asked:

Crap that is from bestbuy right?

Yes!

The items listed below have shipped on 06/16/2004. Your credit card has now been charged for the shipped items.

Best Buy Customer Care

Order Date: 05/09/2004
Order Number:

Product Description

Qty 1 ATI-RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition 256MB DDR AGP Graphics Card

You will luv this card it's the bestbuy I ever made :D

Yeah I know. Man have I waited long for mine. Had a 9700 PRO that broke as early as in february. Which even though I knew these where coming more or less forced me to buy a 9800 PRO since the 9700 PRO used costed as much as 9800 PRO new :rolleyes:. That broke after a week and has been on RMA twice so I have more or less being without a video card for over 4 months!! Sitting on a 9700 PRO that only do 2D without heavy artifacting.

jarman said:
WTFE! :rolleyes: Any self-respecting overclocker would slap a water block on "any" of the 6800 or X800 cards.

You don't have to use watercooling to be a self-respecting overclocker...some of us just can't afford it :( ...or don't want to take the risk. :D

If you are afraid of the risk of overclocking you aren´t a self respecting overclocker :D

To be honest there is no real risk with water cooling. It´s not any more hazardous than air cooling really.

If a fan dies your video card dies.

If your waterpump dies your video card dies.

If you spill water on your video card it won´t work for 2 days until it dries then it works like nothing ever happened ;)

oqvist said:
If you are afraid of the risk of overclocking you aren´t a self respecting overclocker :D

To be honest there is no real risk with water cooling. It´s not any more hazardous than air cooling really.

If a fan dies your video card dies.

If your waterpump dies your video card dies.

If you spill water on your video card it won´t work for 2 days until it dries then it works like nothing ever happened ;)

Well, I move my pc a lot (back and forth from school to home)..and i've always been too worried to jump on the watercooling bandwagon...I don't have a job so...Ruined hardware = no good. That and i've never been one to sacrifice a good thing :D

Take that you half-witted, scruffy-looking, nerf-herder!

Vagrant Zero said:
Where did this come from? To quote Red Leader, stay on target.

Wow, that's ironic..I was just watching A New Hope...not really watching...it was playing while I was reading this disaster.

As said there is no higher risk with water cooling really. I thought so too before I got it but I can assure you it´s safe. I have filled my AGP slot with water more than once and forgot attaching my pumps all fine anyway hehe. Just about all mainboards these days have overheat protection anyway which should protect you if your CPU fan or waterpumps fail anyway. Would be nice seeing something similar for video cards too in the future.

We have it here ladies and gentlemen, the fight you've been waiting for; Nvidia fanboys vs. ATI Fanatics. Both sides are ready, the line is drawn, and they're thirsty for BLOOD!

You payed for the whole seat but you're only going to need the EDGE!

Seriously, in my opinion the cards are pretty equally matched. The x800 XT is very fast, the 6800 Ultra is also very fast and getting faster via driver updates.

But the selling point for me is the fact that the 6800 Ultra has more advanced features. Since I don't upgrade my video card that often; (as you can tell...the GF2 was a hand-me-down from my father's Dell) the 6800 should carry me farther than the x800 XT.

I only wish I could slap a heatpipe on it.

UnseenClass said:
You don't have to use watercooling to be a self-respecting overclocker...some of us just can't afford it :( ...or don't want to take the risk. :D

You'd be surprised how much money you could save by picking up most of the WC hardware at your local plumbing retailer (with the exception of the water blocks). However, I haven't seen the X800 or 6800 water blocks yet.

The strange thing is that for years I thought that when AMD vs. Intel & nVidia vs. ATI had gotten to these highly competitieve hardware battles, we as the enthusiast community would benefit by seeing better pricing than $500 for video cards and $1000 for CPUs.

oqvist said:
As said there is no higher risk with water cooling really. I thought so too before I got it but I can assure you it´s safe. I have filled my AGP slot with water more than once and forgot attaching my pumps all fine anyway hehe. Just about all mainboards these days have overheat protection anyway which should protect you if your CPU fan or waterpumps fail anyway. Would be nice seeing something similar for video cards too in the future.

Yeah...but still the biggest hurdle for me is funding. The only reason i'm upgrading now is that i'm getting a small loan from the bank (hopefully....trying to build my credit); and I really don't want to have to borrow too much money.

Btw are you really sitting on a Geforce 2 mx? May I ask why you all suddenly are after the latest and most expensive cards :D? If you had been able to settle with a Geforce 2 mx so far why not get a Geforce 4 for 50$ instead? more than twice the performance really and saves you tons of money.

jarman said:
You'd be surprised how much money you could save by picking up most of the WC hardware at your local plumbing retailer (with the exception of the water blocks). However, I haven't seen the X800 or 6800 water blocks yet.

The strange thing is that for years I thought that when AMD vs. Intel & nVidia vs. ATI had gotten to these highly competitieve hardware battles, we as the enthusiast community would benefit by seeing better pricing than $500 for video cards and $1000 for CPUs.

Yeah that is true; but, it also has to do with the economy. Which is a whole other animal all in itself.

As said it´s all about priority. You are ready to waste 500$ on a 6800 ULTRA or X800XT PE but can´t afford 100$ on some decent cooling ;)

oqvist said:
Btw are you really sitting on a Geforce 2 mx? May I ask why you all suddenly are after the latest and most expensive cards :D? If you had been able to settle with a Geforce 2 mx so far why not get a Geforce 4 for 50$ instead? more than twice the performance really and saves you tons of money.

Well, i'm not a good saver :D . I seem to get money, and it dissapears; suprising huh :eek:. Either I have bills to pay, or something from one of my other expensive hobbies catches my eye (DVDs, CDs, ect).

Also, after you play the "lego" version of; Morrowind, KOTOR, COD, ect, you get rather used to it. So I figure that Instead of babysteps, I take a giant leap into unfamiliar hardware territory. That and the quality will be a huge mindfuck. :cool:

oqvist said:
As said it´s all about priority. You are ready to waste 500$ on a 6800 ULTRA or X800XT PE but can´t afford 100$ on some decent cooling ;)

Well, i'm getting a loan, and i'm trying to keep it as low as possible (really bad excuse). Or maybe it's just my way of exusing my laziness. I'm supremely lazy.

oqvist said:

It's so very very sad, my GF2MX doesn't even put off enough heat to warrant a heatsink :(

You do what you want in your money I don´t blame you at all. I don´t think you are the only one not having enough of it :) But you could get a 6800 GT and with the watercooling you will probably hit 6800 ULTRA EXTREME speeds with ease and probably more ;)

KoRn666 said:
what do u think i should get? BFG 6800 Ultra (OC) or a ATi x800xtPe

either a 6800u OR a 6800GT with really fast memory. the nv40 offers more then the r420 over a longer period of time, it already support ps3.0 but ati doesnt, so if your not gonna upgrade anytime soon; a 6800gt/u looks like the way to go.

IF you do upgrade often then getting a r420 just for the speed in current games is something you could also do because if your gonna buy the cards when theyve come out this early you'll probably want the new ati card that supports ps3.0 when it comes out next year. nvidia doesnt look to be doing anything drastic in the coming updates of nv45.

Yeah a 6800 ULTRA should hold just about forever. I wonder when we will se games utilizing shaders of 65000 byte length ;)

I am starting to thinking this is the reason why it´s implemented it with the 6800 ULTRA. It may not have the speed for running shaders longer then say 1000 max efficiently even I think even that is really stretching it but they can make it appear more future proof and thus sell more cards by implementing it.

Or else it´s just nVidia trying to make the 6800 ULTRA the card of choice for both gamers, video recorders and professional 3D modelling. That is honestly the area where I see PS 3.0 support being useful. Because you can´t render it in realtime with acceptable performance.

PS 3.0 is very friendly for people who write games. They don't have to worry about "is this command too long" and such. I forget what else is there. Hope ATi will implement it soon, then we will see more PS 3.0 games.

5) nVidia released a beta driver. Remember beta drivers never count. If you are basing your performance off a beta driver you are more stupid than the rock I keep under my bed. When nVidia actually has a WHQL driver that outperforms ATi cards go ahead buy nVidia. Similar for ATi, Cat 4.7 beta are performing really well with games on X800 series but that does NOT mean you go and buy an X800 card based off beta drivers. You arent going to run beta drivers all the time are you?

No true. Beta drivers are simply not Microsoft approved and nothing more. To most of us, being able to run the hardware as intended, without problems is what matters. My Ultra came with the 61.34 drivers on the install CD. They are awsome drivers, and work with everything. Either way you go, you simply can't go wrong. The only area where Nvidia may have a lead is in Doom3, and ATI in HL2.

M4d-K10wN said:
PS 3.0 is very friendly for people who write games. They don't have to worry about "is this command too long" and such. I forget what else is there. Hope ATi will implement it soon, then we will see more PS 3.0 games.

Yes programmers may like it but that don´t mean that games will be easier optimized for the 6800 series. That was one thing ATI did well apparently. The Radeons where a lot easier to programme for than the FX series.

I don´t know what the benefit of PS 3.0 games would be? As game developers themself state about PS 3.0 the only benefit is longer shader instruction lengths and that´s about it really... And if games don´t use it?

As said Finding Nemo was like 1000 shader instructions for each scene or something.

UnseenClass said:
But the selling point for me is the fact that the 6800 Ultra has more advanced features. Since I don't upgrade my video card that often; (as you can tell...the GF2 was a hand-me-down from my father's Dell) the 6800 should carry me farther than the x800 XT.

Yea buddy you need to update that video card of yours a little lol. I'm sure there is some law against running an A64 or high-end P4 in the same box as a GF2 :p.

Grab one of the 6800GT's as soon as they hit. They have the best price/performance ratio in the 6800 and X800 series because its quite a bit cheaper then the 6800 ultra along with supporting all its features includeing the 16 stage pipelines.

I'm sure they will have no problem OC'ing to ultra speeds also.

Keeping this thread along the same lines, wouldn't want to go off-topic.... it's only against the law to use a GF2MX in an A64 computer! :p

texuspete00 said:
Keeping this thread along the same lines, wouldn't want to go off-topic.... it's only against the law to use a GF2MX in an A64 computer! :p

I'm actually using a GF2MX in my 64 bit system.. only until my XT PE comes that is. ;)

texuspete00 said:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight lol. I'd put a 3.0c @ 3.7-4Ghz against most any of the high-end A64's. The A64 will have an advantage in gaming because its on-die controller keeps its memory controller running at the same speed as the CPU and eliminates alot of latency but the P4 still has Hyper Threading and will be quite a bit faster in mulitasking, encodeing, rendering, and the majority of applications. It just depends on what you use the system for. But none of the A64's can beat the raw OC'ing potential of the D1 stepping 3.0c's :).

People got 1Ghz overclocks out of the 2.4c's and their getting 1Ghz out of the 3.0c's now. Gotta love those 200Mhz OC's on the A64's though lol ;) .

By the time a game even uses PS 3.0, the 6800/X800 will be piles of shit.

Yes Far Cry has a patch coming out that gives the game PS 3.0 for the 6800U. It's an add-in and it probably wont be optimized well..guess that's why the patch has been delayed another week. :)

merlin704 said:
By the time a game even uses PS 3.0, the 6800/X800 will be piles of shit.

Yes Far Cry has a patch coming out that gives the game PS 3.0 for the 6800U. It's an add-in and it probably wont be optimized well..guess that's why the patch has been delayed another week. :)

If they are already coming out with patches for PS 3.0 NOW then you know for a fact there will be games in 2005 using it and i'd sure hope a 6800 or X800 isn't going to be a pile of shit in that short of time span.

Back