BFG 6800 OC Heatsink

Skrying

2[H]4U
Okay, I've been wondering about how the two fans work on this card. Do both of them pull air through the card and out into the case or do both of them push air into the card and the air goes through the heatsink? So does it suck or blow basically, lol.

I emailed BFG about it and I'm not totally sure what to make out of the answer:

"
Thank you for your request.

Basically, after looking at the architecture, the fans pull air onto the card and then the exhaust allows the hot air to be blown away from the cards core."

That's what they told me, still confused though.

lcboyee1123 said:
the fans blow onto the core, just like the fan for a CPU heatsink

Thank you very much, now I have to creat some crazy extreme air cooling device of fury.

hmmm... thats a pretty stupid reply on BFG's part. duh, of course it pulls air onto the card and blows hot air away... what a concept! :eek:

Bugalaman said:
hmmm... thats a pretty stupid reply on BFG's part. duh, of course it pulls air onto the card and blows hot air away... what a concept! :eek:

Yeah no kidding. That's why I came here. I figured it was a pretty stupid question, but after I got that reply I'm just kinda like "wtf" in my head.

Anyway, another question. The card has the large shield like thing, can that be removed or is it part of the heatsink? By the looks it would seems part of the heatsink.

I took mine off once I upgraded to an aftermakarket cooler. It is attached with screws to the heatsink and would have no effect on the operation of the fans, though, without the proper air flow, it might run hotter. thats my thought anyways

EDIT, I'm talking about the dual fan cooler atop a BFG 6800 GT OC

Bugalaman said:
I took mine off once I upgraded to an aftermakarket cooler. It is attached with screws to the heatsink and would have no effect on the operation of the fans, though, without the proper air flow, it might run hotter. thats my thought anyways

The screws dont run through the actual card do they? If by any chance you have the old stock cooler laying around and could take a pic of the shield off that'd be great, I was planning on getting a slot cooler with two 80mm fans on it and blow onto the card.

sure, pics coming in a few minutes... god I am bored tonight!

here tehy are
screws in place
GT1.JPG

screws removed
GT2.JPG

GT3.JPG

GT4.JPG

back of faceplate
GT5.JPG

haha, don't ask me why I used Artic silver 5 on the memory thermal pads :rolleyes:

Bugalaman said:
sure, pics coming in a few minutes... god I am bored tonight!

Lol, thanks a ton for it. I wanna see how this works to see if I have the time for it in the near future or not.

Sadly it's a pretty lame design...the temps aren't terribly impressive. The units I've tested were all poorly soldered together, and the thermal pads made marginal contact. :rolleyes:

Back