BFC (big freeken case) chilled and phased

cre8chaos

[H]ard|Gawd
So I think that is the name of this one for now. BFC (Big Fing Case) I have the mobo tray in and have layed it out 15 times to figure out the best air flow/room to put it all in. I am planning on the chiller w/temp control for the video (some day sli) so I don't have to over kill the insulation, and the upgraded mach1 for the cpu.
I hope you fallow my progress (I am sure slow at that) and give any valid input as I go along.

I will be putting this on the [H] and XS.org if you read both.

Here is a couple pics of what I am talking about. More to come as time permits.

Image-2EA790F2F7C311DA.jpg

Image-2EA7DF25F7C311DA.jpg

dang now that is a BFC with a bunch of "stuff" cramed in it. Hope I don't push it that far. :D we all know I wll now don't we.

So day 2 and I have to work the next 3 on night shift so this is it for a couple days :mad:

anywho got the shelf in half ars but you get the idea.
Image-9D021850F80F11DA.jpg

and got the evap brazed but not cleaned up yet.
Image-9D023664F80F11DA.jpg

and on a side note I got a couple old window a/c's canablized and now have a 1 ton and a 1/4t compressor to play with next.
Image-9D024AF2F80F11DA.jpg

How am I doing so far? Be nice

How are you doing so far? Well, you're attempting something that's only been done in extreme rare cases, so +2 pts for that.

Shine up all that equipment and give it some nice paint I'd I'd rate an 11/10 (9 without the +2 for being so [H] :D)

I hope this works for you, as this looks like an awesome project. What's the vertical measurement of your case?

**EDIT** How much power does your unit use? What's it's BTU Rating (if you know) :).

case is 26h X 22L X 13w and 35lbs once gutted. proly around 80 at this point and not even a comptuer yet. Might have to put a jack under the floor to hold it up. :rolleyes:

As for power not sure yet but I have a seperat 25amp breaker for this pc alone :D

(you might want to put only the compressors and the fans that go with it on that one breaker and put the rest of the stuff on another).

thecoldanddarkone said:
(you might want to put only the compressors and the fans that go with it on that one breaker and put the rest of the stuff on another).

right I mean one for just the cooling and the other with the Mac on the APS.

and before some one gets on me about the wrong braze on the flexline to copper pipe going into the evap I all ready know I just slapped on the copper braze to hold it together till I can get to the weld shop and get the silver rod for it.

stilll waiting on time to work on it. :( I have 2 g-kids I am raising so my time is limited for sure. Also considering a dual Direct die w/o chiller. Don't know just yet.

I made this with all old parts just to see if I had it right. I put 134a in it so it is not for super cold but it does work. I had to wait 45min to get my beer out as it froze in the block of ice.
So it is a working chiller, not pretty or extreme but for my first try to make sure I get the idea of it, Hey it works. :D
Image-11556516000C11DB.jpg

Lookin' good so far. I'm reserving judgement for a more completed state but I definitely like what I see!

Thats an extreme beer cooler!!! BTW good work ... figuring out stuff is rewarding ... keep it going. BTW what's the noise level from those compressors gonna be like?

just one question from me. how do you plan to deal with the possible water condensation issues from the heatsink?

MrkXCeL said:
Thats an extreme beer cooler!!! BTW good work ... figuring out stuff is rewarding ... keep it going. BTW what's the noise level from those compressors gonna be like?

This one was out a a 5kbtu window air con so that is pretty much what it sounds like if the fan blowing inside was off. Not to bad. My 2x120 fans on my water rad was much louder than this is running. And again this is just for me to make sure I had it all right. I will just play with this one and keep my beer cold while I mod the other system. :D The 2 compressors in the case are almost silent. The fans will be louder than them. Piston type are not very loud. The one on the beer cooler is a roto and they can get loud and hot.

@conano
It will all be insulated when it is installed. I will take pics as I go and post them. Hope it inspires you to go start a big project :)

finaly got my hold down drilled out and ready. Had a couple hours to play.

Here is what I got done.
Image-EB2082380C7D11DB.jpg

Image-EB20B3150C7D11DB.jpg

Image-EB20D8820C7D11DB.jpg

got the evap drilled out and brazed up today for the mach1 upgrade.

Image-E4C50D81108011DB.jpg

Image-E4C55A06108011DB.jpg

Image-E4C57BC6108011DB.jpg

Image-E4C5A6FA108011DB.jpg

Doing good so far? All input welcome. :cool:

well if the latest pictures are hosted on the machine with your coolin system i would say it failed :)

Rockaholic said:
well if the latest pictures are hosted on the machine with your coolin system i would say it failed :)

Not real sure what happened there but got it fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

slapped the Mach1 back together with the now evap and charged with 134a to test it. Got -47c on the temp probe. turned it off for the night and came back the next morning to start ins. the head and decided to try it again just to watch it frost up again. leak! darnabit!
So I am making a new one with a different brazeing way and see if that works better.
Slow and steady. Life sucks.

Ran out of money to keep going but I am working on a chiller to make up some flow to get back on track. Hope to update soon.

No rly I am still alive. I am raising my 2 grand kids so money is tight. I am selling off the phase cooler to finish (I hope) the big arse case. It is in the F/S section if any one is interested. I will do what i can with this project. Family first you know. :rolleyes:

Back