BF4 optimized for AMD; marketing gimmick?

Tych-0

Gawd
So BF4 is touted as being optimized specifically for AMD hardware. Are there any indications as to what exactly this means? Will this mean the game will have better graphics if played on an AMD gpu? Perhaps it will just run smoother than it would without optimization? Or is it all just marketing?

I'm looking for some evidence as to what this optimization will be, but I'd accept speculation if AMD or Dice haven't revealed any details. It seems to me that if it's as significant as better graphical options they'd be spilling the details ASAP, hoping to steal some sales from nvidia. I couldn't find any details myself.

Last edited:
It Just means it'll run 5 fps faster than the competition at launch but will be about the same after a week or so.

Yes and no.

Typically in these situations the developer provides early builds so the vendor (AMD) can hammer out performance and stability related issues.
Unless, DICE does something along the lines of what Crystal Dynamics did with Tomb Raider (TressFX), there really isn't any other reason to go
with the partnered vendor other than promise of the marketing guarantee of stability/performance at launch.

It would be interesting if they moved to using the integer cores more than floating point. Though, I don't really know what I'm talking about, and can't confirm how feasible this would actually be. :D

The big thing with this is at the driver level, less bugs on release.

Since both cores support just about the exact same thing there really is no difference from what you will see with Nvidia vs. AMD. This is mostly an advertisement for AMD to show off their developer relationship is growing versus how much more uber your experience will be with a 7970GE over a GTX780.

TressFX runs just as well on Nvidia hardware as it does AMD hardware. AMD doesn't have proprietary things it that it does like Nvidia PhysX. It's all things that can be run on a GPU that adheres to the standards and agreements that Microsoft, Nvidia, and AMD signed long ago.

Optimizations in BF4 for AMD means to me that the game will be more multithreaded than before to get the most out of multicore processors as their entire processor lineup utilizes multicore technology. Currently lots of software is singlethreaded. This will push the software industry to create more efficient and faster products that get the most out of this new tech. Intel makes faster multicore processors than AMD so once again no issues for those that own Intel chips.

Also like someone said above AMD gets earlier builds to optimize their video card drivers first. One to two weeks down the road Nvidia will have their optimized drivers and get the same performance as AMD. Also AMD gets to put "AMD Evolved" on the box images.

So that's about it in my opinion.

Xbox One and PS4 have something to do with it, I think, no wait, im sure it does.

What's funny is that if BF4 was announced as backed by nVidia, no one would blink an eye.

Perhaps because other than marketing, nVidia does actually add extras to their sponsored games like driver-level ambient occlusion (far more performant than the built-in one for Hitman Absolution for example.... oh, and that's a Gaming dEvolved title at that :eek: from AMD, oops!) and PhysX + nice stereoscopic 3d support. AMD's Gaming Evolved program has produced titles that perform better/equal on nVidia hardware, with 1-2 that are a bit better on AMD's hardware. Small wonder people yawn and sometimes wince when AMD's the sponsor, while they're generally indifferent when nVidia is.

Perhaps because other than marketing, nVidia does actually add extras to their sponsored games like driver-level ambient occlusion (far more performant than the built-in one for Hitman Absolution for example.... oh, and that's a Gaming dEvolved title at that :eek: from AMD, oops!) and PhysX + nice stereoscopic 3d support. AMD's Gaming Evolved program has produced titles that perform better/equal on nVidia hardware, with 1-2 that are a bit better on AMD's hardware. Small wonder people yawn and sometimes wince when AMD's the sponsor, while they're generally indifferent when nVidia is.

First one to jump in when nVidia is mentioned, huh?
Sounds about right ;)

That's OK by then the 8970 will be out and I'll be bored with my unoptimzed gtx 780

LOL. No way you that obtuse? NV and AMD use this as a marketing tool -- hands down no question. It is much like a commercial while you are watching your favorite sporting event and you see ad for beer. In marketing it is the 'always keep in mind' concept. Unlike your sporting event that has millions upon millions of viewers and ad time to that event, video games do not have this. Instead they pay for rights of 'the way it's meant to be played' or 'AMD evolved' to remind, incite, educate/market directly.

It is Marketing 101. Things like Physx are a different issue altogether -- think what MS did with Crysis 1 and DX9 on XP and DX10 only on Vista (read: Crysis 1 could be played with the same graphics fidelity in XP as Vista, they just locked it down as marketing ploy).

Never forget with F500 companies it is all about perception and money....money, money,money. It reminds me of the George Carlin on religion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo

Last edited:
LOL. No way you that obtuse? NV and AMD use this as a marketing tool -- hands down no question. It is much like a commercial while you are watching your favorite sporting event and you see ad for beer. In marketing it is the 'always keep in mind' concept. Unlike your sporting event that has millions upon millions of viewers and ad time to that event, video games do not have this. Instead they pay for rights of 'the way it's meant to be played' or 'AMD evolved' to remind, incite, educate/market directly.

It is Marketing 101. Things like Physx are a different issue altogether -- think what MS did with Crysis 1 and DX9 on XP and DX10 only on Vista (read: Crysis 1 could be played with the same graphics fidelity in XP as Vista, they just locked it down as marketing ploy).

Never forget with F500 companies it is all about perception and money....money, money,money. It reminds me of the George Carlin on religion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo

Um, yeah, that was said already including by me, hence why I provided specific examples as exceptions. So surely you were able to understand that, right?

First one to jump in when nVidia is mentioned, huh?
Sounds about right ;)

When someone is logged in and happens to see a thread really indicates much.... Riiight..... :rolleyes: more useless off topic as usual from you though, sounds about right. Well, to use your phrasing that is.

If I remember right, didn't you have to disable HT in BF3 on Intel? That could be considered optimized for AMD I guess.

Maybe AMD also uses code which are optimized for upcoming consoles, and therefore optimized for AMD by default.

If I remember right, didn't you have to disable HT in BF3 on Intel? That could be considered optimized for AMD I guess.

Maybe AMD also uses code which are optimized for upcoming consoles, and therefore optimized for AMD by default.

What does optimized mean? Can anyone define that? We have no idea how this is going to help AMD.
AMD will be on a different arch next year, different drivers etc. Totally different for what's in consoles.

Everything will remain the same. It will come down to GPU Power and driver quality.

Pure marketing.

I've never disabled HT, and BF3 runs great for me. Perhaps I should try?

I think we've got some fairly logical speculation here, I think cageymaru put it best. It seems most everyone is on the same page that this is probably just marketing hype and BF4 isn't likely to have some proprietary graphical setting only for AMD users.

I've never disabled HT, and BF3 runs great for me. Perhaps I should try?

I think we've got some fairly logical speculation here, I think cageymaru put it best. It seems most everyone is on the same page that this is probably just marketing hype and BF4 isn't likely to have some proprietary graphical setting only for AMD users.

When I first read about AMD's optimizations, I thought it was at the CPU level. Hopefully we'll see that happen. From what I've gathered, it's not that AMD's cores are BAD - it's just that they're more focused on integer performance than floating-point.

It would be interesting if they moved to using the integer cores more than floating point. Though, I don't really know what I'm talking about, and can't confirm how feasible this would actually be. :D
Not very. There are generally few opportunities to use integers in anything related to graphics.

"Optimized for AMD hardware", are we talking about CPUs? GPUs? APUs? Consoles? Everything?

The only thing I can think of optimizing for AMD cpu's is maybe their extremely complicated scheduler, but that mainly deals with the OS level.

Either way, I'm still trying to come up with what they can optimize for.

Pretty sure the way amd looks at it is they can have weak floating point because if you get an amd cpu you are more likely to get an amd gpu. That way they can rationalize their push for HSA.

Actually, BF3 runs much better with HT on.

Yup, a lot better. I have no idea where this "turn off HT in bf3" myth comes from.

When BF3 was released, HT caused the frametimes to increase to the point of stutter.
Turning it off reduced frametimes and smoothed FPS. The issue was fixed soon after.

Maybe because Dice has always fucked ATI/AMD cards over...$10 says that Crossfire is still going to blow [H]

It Just means it'll run 5 fps faster than the competition at launch but will be about the same after a week or so.

Pretty much this, and things like multi-gpu support will likely work right away with Crossfire and need a driver update for SLI. It's not like all games will always run better with AMD because the consoles are using it. If that were true, we'd have been seeing that trend for the last 7 years since the 360 uses and AMD (ATI at the time) GPU.

Pretty much this, and things like multi-gpu support will likely work right away with Crossfire and need a driver update for SLI. It's not like all games will always run better with AMD because the consoles are using it. If that were true, we'd have been seeing that trend for the last 7 years since the 360 uses and AMD (ATI at the time) GPU.

Ancient architecture on that gpu. ATI had some good support with their following X1800's, but their transition to the next architecture was a nightmare.

Ancient architecture on that gpu. ATI had some good support with their following X1800's, but their transition to the next architecture was a nightmare.

Ancient by today's standards, ahead of it's time when it came out though. 8800GTX came out shortly after the 360 and in terms of PC gaming, it kicked the crap out of AMD/ATI equivalent hardware for a good while. I really don't think the fact that the consoles are using AMD are going to amount to anything more than some games having a slight advantage initially which would be corrected by a subsequent NVidia driver update. It has a bigger effect on marketing than real-world implications.

So BF4 is touted as being optimized specifically for AMD hardware. Is there any indications as to what exactly this means? Will this mean the game will have better graphics if played on an AMD gpu? Perhaps it will just run smoother than it would without optimization? Or is it all just marketing?

I'm looking for some evidence as to what this optimization will be, but I'd accept speculation if AMD or Dice haven't revealed any details. It seems to me that if it's as significant as better graphical options they'd be spilling the details ASAP, hoping to steal some sales from nvidia. I couldn't find any details myself.

It will just ran faster/smoother on AMD hardware. Which means the code will likely be developed/optimized for AMD hardware but not likewise for Nvidia.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Doesn't mean you need to run over and change platforms if you are using Nvidia video card currently.

Back