BF4 forcing me to upgrade...need recommendations

wixter

Weaksauce
So my current setup when running BF4 is bottlenecked by my current card...here are the pertinent system specs for the machine I play on:

Intel i7-3770
8GB memory
evga GT640
Asus Maximus V extreme
Win7 64-bit
Only use a single monitor setup, 1920x1200
can only take up 2 expansion slots

This setup, on low settings across the board, is getting me a measly 20fps...I need to get it up to 50.

I'm not really interested in SLI nor the latest and greatest stuff out there. I want to keep it to a single card, preferably around $200 but I might allow a little extra if I can. My mobo supports pcie 3.0.

Im running a 2600K at 4600Mhz with 2 Evga SC 780 GTXs in SLI 1150/1700 and BF4 1920X1200 Max settings are getting anywhere from 75 FPS to 130+ FPS in 64 player maps If that helps, i can disable 1 card and let you know what FPS im getting.

As the above poster said, if you can find a 680 for that price, that would work well. I run a 7950 and run ultra minus AA@1080p and it is very smooth. I haven't run a FPS meter to tell, but I hate laggy gameplay and it is definitely smooth. Stick the 7950, 7970, 680, 760, 770. They will all give you ultra at your rez smoothly.

With a $200 budget you can't beat the hd 7950's which have been on sale lately. Watch for the hotdeals section or look on newegg, amazon etc.

A used 680 would be a little better if you can find one for $200.

I have a GTX 760 and i run everything 1920x1200 with everything ultra, no slow down.

Not with msaa you dont. Well maybe but not competitively. Youd be dropping to the 30-40s quite often with 4xmsaa. But without it should be plenty playable with everything else ultra.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looking over Newegg's selection, I'm thinking maybe a 760 would best fit my needs. The 770 prices are just a little too high for me. I'm specifically leaning toward evga's 02G-P4-3765-KR. It's not absolutely mandatory I be able to play the game on ultra settings across the board, medium would be ok but higher frame rates are a must.

760 would run a lot more than 50fps on medium, the problem you have right now its the GT640 is a very basic card, not really intended for gaming at all unless you play very old titles or 2D sorts of games. With a mix of high and ultra settings with no msaa you could probably hit your 50fps target easily.

Your on crack. A 670 could run this game high/ultra with msaa off no problem. Same with a 760 id bet.

Lol, ok...man I must be telling stories pulled from my ass. He must not have been on low settings.... Brb, gonna write that down multiple times so I start believing what you say.

Even my 680's SLI on Ultra no AA is unplayable for me. There's too many dips where the FPS goes down into the 40s, on High it's constant 60+ though.

So my current setup when running BF4 is bottlenecked by my current card...here are the pertinent system specs for the machine I play on:

Intel i7-3770
8GB memory
evga GT640
Asus Maximus V extreme
Win7 64-bit
Only use a single monitor setup, 1920x1200
can only take up 2 expansion slots

This setup, on low settings across the board, is getting me a measly 20fps...I need to get it up to 50.

I'm not really interested in SLI nor the latest and greatest stuff out there. I want to keep it to a single card, preferably around $200 but I might allow a little extra if I can. My mobo supports pcie 3.0.

How did you do any gaming with a GT640? :confused::confused:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

Try this.it's under $200 and gives great bang for your buck.overclock the core to 1200 leave the mem at stock.works great for me.on an i5 proc.bf4 beta was smooth got an average of 45-50 fps on high(some settings were automatic ultra i think)@1080p.you should do just a bit better with that proc of yours.

Last edited:
Go up another $65 bucks and you could get a gtx 680. I purchased one for a friend and one for myself at that price both from sellers here on [H].

Get a GTX770 4GB once the price drops are in full swing, should serve you fine for quite a while.

Get a GTX770 4GB once the price drops are in full swing, should serve you fine for quite a while.

Yeah 770 should hold you up.. I mean i get very nice fps with ultra, 2xmsaa in bf4 multiplayer with a 660ti.. We'll see how ac4 perform since it's the next, next-gen game to be released on pc

Back