BF3 vehicles very disappointing? anyone else?

I was on a server with a couple jets in tandem ripping up the tanks, and they were supported by :gasp: our own AA / Stinger engineers. Teamwork required with vehicles, in a team based game, what a travesty!

You could not take out a tank in BF2 with one pass, in fact you'd probably need more than 3.

But in general vehicles in BF3 are not as well handling as in BF2, they have no "weight" to them at all, a helicopter takes off from the ground very lightly, like it weighs nothing.

Also the game is VERY collision forgiving. Rough landing, driving your tank into a ditch, nothing damage.

In BF2 you could definitely take a tank from full health down to nothing in 1 strafe, given its not something you can do without the proper angles. I did it numerous times on many different maps, one of the easier maps for that is Zatar Wetlands because there aren't many things you can crash into with you taking a bad angle in the first place.

I see vehicle unlocks as being COD'ish I really wish they moved away from being BC2, I want BF2 updated, with better hit registration, & better vehicle balancing on certain maps. If they want to make historic battles that you can replay ok, but make that a mode. Alot of people didn't like wake as chinese because once you lost the airstrip it was definitely difficult, but it was hard as hell to get boots on the ground anyhow when the J-10's and the Z-10 knocking everything out of the sky (that wasn't teamkilled for first, ie the Cobra and the F35 which both had decently long respawn times.)

In BF2 you could definitely take a tank from full health down to nothing in 1 strafe, given its not something you can do without the proper angles. I did it numerous times on many different maps, one of the easier maps for that is Zatar Wetlands because there aren't many things you can crash into with you taking a bad angle in the first place.

I've tried it many times and was never able to do that, on Zatar or wherever, APCs can be destroyed easily though.

Is there a video or something that shows a jet destroy a tank with it's machine gun?

Well I have a 4ghz i7 with gtx 580 sli and a 30"... not too sure how much higher I can go really... The game was laggy on multiple servers (I have a very fast connection, no other games lag, google.com pings at 12ms) and things were jumping around a lot.

But technical issues aside, I'm really talking more to the "bland-ness" of the vehicles. They brought nothing new, and I don't find myself feeling like I'm really even flying a jet or helicopter. Seems just sloppy and lacking cool features, especially lacking missiles - what were they thinking?

I have pretty much the same setup as you bro...I was feeling the same as you too....Ibuilt this rig to kill and kick ass and the lagg and clipping in this game sux....I had to swallow my pride and I backed off a few of the ultra settings..mainly..turned aa down to 2x and turned HBOA to off....

and magically, most of the lagg and clipping went away....I think it has a lot to do with are 580's and Nvidia's lame ass cap of 1.5gb of vram on the card....a lot of ppl are saying that on the 64 player maps the ram useage is pushing close to 2gb....try to scale back on those 2 settings and see if it helps...remember with are 30" inchers, we also are pushing out some high ass resolutions....

I read an interview with one of the games devs and he said the beta is over a month and a half old. Because they had to license the beta for all 3 platforms the game was submitted at that time and since then they have said lots of things have changed and been fixed, so I am still hopeful.

I'm not having any of these issues. Maybe you need to buy a new computer or upgrade yours.

that's just ridiculous, 80% of the caspian servers I've tried have been really laggy. The other 20% have been a blast, but the idea that you've played this beta extensively and haven't experienced this at some point is just not true.

that's just ridiculous, 80% of the caspian servers I've tried have been really laggy. The other 20% have been a blast, but the idea that you've played this beta extensively and haven't experienced this at some point is just not true.

I would say it's been the other way around for me. Only a few servers have been laggy and the rest were great.

I see vehicle unlocks as being COD'ish I really wish they moved away from being BC2, I want BF2 updated, with better hit registration, & better vehicle balancing on certain maps. If they want to make historic battles that you can replay ok, but make that a mode. Alot of people didn't like wake as chinese because once you lost the airstrip it was definitely difficult, but it was hard as hell to get boots on the ground anyhow when the J-10's and the Z-10 knocking everything out of the sky (that wasn't teamkilled for first, ie the Cobra and the F35 which both had decently long respawn times.)

Check this out, A-10, Su-39, one pass easy tank destruction!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRhw9MHJZeo

Maybe F-18 and Su-35 can do it too with enough distance?

I was only able to play for maybe an hour on Caspian and it looked very good.
the stingers were pretty good. I was just shooting down helis and jets.

My experience with taking out tanks with the EXPL squad perk using mines and RPG is somehow weak. It takes 2 mines to disable a tank, 3 mines to fully blow it up. With the RPG, it takes 2 to disable, 4 to fully blow up even if you hit the weak spots(rear, front/rear threads, top cover)

Against heli and jets, the stinger disables them with 1 shot and 2 shot to blow up.

My experience with taking out tanks with the EXPL squad perk using mines and RPG is somehow weak. It takes 2 mines to disable a tank, 3 mines to fully blow it up. With the RPG, it takes 2 to disable, 4 to fully blow up even if you hit the weak spots(rear, front/rear threads, top cover)

Against heli and jets, the stinger disables them with 1 shot and 2 shot to blow up.

Damn near anything can take out a tank in this game and the fact that there is so much ground clutter makes evading or escaping in a tank a PITA. Then there is dealing with the huge smoke cloud hiding your target after every tank round fired.

Its about time tanks get buffed, IMO.

Only if you were crap at avoiding and countering them. Now they are absolutely useless. If people hate them so much why not just play on infantry only servers!?!
the only way to counter a jet in bf2 was in another jet. Trying to fight against them with groundbased AA weapons was pretty much useless against decent pilots and only made you a easy kill by them. And you cant really avoid them unless you want to be useless to the team and hide out all game long.
And infantry only is the dumbest mode ever. Its just a mindless nadespam and sniper camping fest.

Check this out, A-10, Su-39, one pass easy tank destruction!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRhw9MHJZeo

Maybe F-18 and Su-35 can do it too with enough distance?

Yes in BF2 you had to have enough distance in your pass, or slow down but that was always risky. On Average 2 passes on a tank was enough to make it smoke if the guy wasn't engineer. The A10 and the SU-39 are Close Air Support Jets, they are meant to have heavy gun damage plus a bomb package.

In BF2, you had the F35 (terrible hit box on it), F18 and F18, all of which glided pretty well under low power so you could move slowly. Then you had the Mig-29 and SU, which were pretty good in all scenarios, the J-10 and Su, which were terrorizing the F35 players all the damn time. Lastly you had the Eurofighter which dipped forward all the time, not sure if that was a game flaw or if it really flies like that and I believe the Tornado or Typhon bomber, which was meh.

Of course if you were awesome in a Jet, you could own all day, if you were decent you could take some stuff out, but most time you would be flying around trying to take something out with out being shot down. I personally loved flying the Helo's vs flying a Jet, and enjoyed playing I/O when it wasn't crazy nade/clay spam.

the only way to counter a jet in bf2 was in another jet. Trying to fight against them with groundbased AA weapons was pretty much useless against decent pilots and only made you a easy kill by them. And you cant really avoid them unless you want to be useless to the team and hide out all game long.
And infantry only is the dumbest mode ever. Its just a mindless nadespam and sniper camping fest.

Not true at all, you just had to play smarter, sure AA was terrible in the game with out a doubt, but you could ways Tank a Jet down, AT it down, or use vehicle mounted weapons. I wished that some of the vehicles didn't get lit up on the Jet's "bomber mode" screen such as the mounted LMG but that is probably fixed with deployed bipods on the support class now.

IO wasn't always what it is now, people made it that way, certain servers tried to curb the nade/clay spam via rule sets and strict Admin work.

LOL @ people whining about a beta as though its the final release...

I hope you submitted feedback to DICE if you found the vehicles lack luster.

The beta was a great taste of what is going to come. It wasn't polished, wasn't a final release, chill and see what the retail game is going to be like. If you hated the beta then go play MW3, something for everyone.

I agree that flying jets was less interesting than it used to be. Very Console-esque.

Biggest frustration was not being able to change the key bindings. Having to fly with WASD and arrow keys was pretty lame.

Yup. You can also place land mines on the front of your car and ram it into people. :D

I prefer to just run over the people and keep driving (plus you get bonus points) - but can you ram tanks and blow them up with the vehicle mounted land mine? If so, that's awesome.

I like the land vehicles. Jets feel lousy, the op is absolutely right about that. Besides the cartoony (or simply non-existent) physics, they fly too slow. The helis feel alright though, maybe a half step down from BF2.

Hopefully they do a lot more fine-tuning on air vehicles before release. That is what the beta was all about, right?

I reinstalled BF2 after the beta ended just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I played BF2 up until a month before the beta started.

What I found was kind of shocking to me, personally. When I first got in the AH-1Z in BF3, I thought to myself "wow what the hell is going on with this thing, even if I point it at the ground it doesn't accelerate very much."

I got used to it after some flight time. After I hopped back into the same aircraft in BF2, I had the exact opposite reaction...along the lines of "holy shit this thing hauls ass!" However other than the speed, I actually found the handling to be very similar.

Before you go calling me a noob and I don't know what I'm talking about, I was top 50 worldwide in the beta for chopper kills. I put in nearly 60 hours of time into the beta (only a fraction of that spent flying) and I can honestly say that I kind of prefer the BF3 chopper handling to BF2, both from a balance and enjoyment point of view.

The choppers only need a few things to really shine. The biggest is a buff in durability, namely jets/tanks rolling the choppers with only a burst of the machine gun needs to be taken out. Also the vehicle disable shouldn't happen until under 35% for any vehicle (imo) so its more like BF2 when your vehicle caught on fire and you had to bail out, fix it immediately, or die.

People fear change, but once you relax and take a step back...look at the big picture from a neutral standpoint - it isn't so bad. :)

I feel like the air units actually require some caution while piloting now. Once you get the unlocks they are pretty powerful against other vehicles. I think the whole unlock system for them is pretty retarded though.

I feel like the air units actually require some caution while piloting now. Once you get the unlocks they are pretty powerful against other vehicles. I think the whole unlock system for them is pretty retarded though.

I tend to agree. The first thing they need to look at after they look at the way bullets from tanks/jets affect helicopters is the unlocks for all aircraft.

I think it's completely backwards for helicopters to unlock air to air missiles before unlocking air to ground missiles. I think it's also a huge mistake for flares to be an unlock on ANY aircraft. A lot of people brought up a valid point that whoever unlocks flares/heatseekers first wins. If anyone comes late to the game, unless you are a VERY good pilot, you will not prevail against an opponent with heat seekers if you do not have flares.

It's also worth noting that engineers will almost surely unlock their handheld AA before pilots unlock flares. If I was a betting man, I would say that DICE likely made some of the unlocks baseline.

It's easier to fly (choppers at least) in BF2 if for no other reason than there is nowhere near as much AA, and flares are more effective in BF2. I like to think I'm a pretty good chopper pilot in both games, and while I can place the chopper exactly how I want in BF2 and make it maneuver a little bit quicker - I hate the feeling of always being on the ragged edge of losing control during intense flying.

In BF3 the only time I didn't feel as if I had complete control over the choppers was when I would get shot by a jet/tank. Another thing regarding damage to ground vehicles by the chopper, if you approach a tank from the front - you likely won't kill it in one run. If you approach it from the back, you will be surprised how fast it dies to just the gunner's cannon. BF2 pilots are not used to that.

TL;DR - some perks need to be baseline, the order of perks needs changed, DICE probably already addressed both of those concerns, and the helicopter handling in BF3 isn't worse - it's different, people fear change.

It's also worth noting that engineers will almost surely unlock their handheld AA before pilots unlock flares. If I was a betting man, I would say that DICE likely made some of the unlocks baseline.

Only needing one missile from an engineer to disable the helo also has to suck for help pilots - not a lot of margin for error there. At least the engineers have to choose between anti-air and anti-tank, so it seemed like there was normally only one or two guys with anti-air missiles when I played.

Only needing one missile from an engineer to disable the helo also has to suck for help pilots - not a lot of margin for error there. At least the engineers have to choose between anti-air and anti-tank, so it seemed like there was normally only one or two guys with anti-air missiles when I played.

Initially it was really bad, everyone wanted to try out their shiny new toys which had no use on Op Metro. If your chopper has 100% health and you get hit by a stinger, it takes you down to 59% if memory serves. You're not disabled until below 50% in the beta, but from what I've seen in other footage that number appears to have been changed to 35%.

The only way I found to deal with everybody on the map doing their best to shoot the chopper down as soon as they saw it (no matter what class or what vehicle) was for the gunner to use flares and the pilot to use the extinguisher. Even with the extinguisher, either the pilot or gunner needs to be an engineer for when the extinguisher is on cooldown and you get disabled. It would be really nice if you could just return to base and land on the pad for repairs.

Rofl...planning and skill, if you say so!

LOL So true... I really wish they made the helicopters at least as hard as they are to fly in Arma 2. Honestly I wish they would take it farther and go with something along the lines of the Take on Helicopters flight model. IMO you shouldn't be able to fly a helicopter with a keyboard and mouse.

LOL So true... I really wish they made the helicopters at least as hard as they are to fly in Arma 2. Honestly I wish they would take it farther and go with something along the lines of the Take on Helicopters flight model. IMO you shouldn't be able to fly a helicopter with a keyboard and mouse.

Shocking fact: BF3 is not Arma 2.

meh, the controls are relatively similar to the real thing. the handling isnt, but control wise, its biggest change is location of antitorque pedals.

I agree that flying jets was less interesting than it used to be. Very Console-esque.

Biggest frustration was not being able to change the key bindings. Having to fly with WASD and arrow keys was pretty lame.

Darkside from 21CW ?!?!?!?!

Actually I am a keyboard pilot, some people prefer the mouse/keyboard combo, some people prefer the stick..... I personally use the KB for all purpose, on precision I use the the mouse as well however I was a pilot for a long time, not necessarily the best one but I was a damn decent one.

I didn't really have a problem with the flight model or controls of the jets.. They seemed to be pretty standard for a BF game. The one thing that did bug the shit out of me though was the fact that i felt like the pilots helmet was glued to the Hud. The FOV is absolutely horrible. I feel like im looking through a funnel trying to dogfight.

I do agree the game will have a long way to go before release on the PC. 4100Mhz i7 920 SLI gtx460s at 900 core 2200mem with a 35/35 FIOS connection. I'm keeping my pre order as it's the way they release games now. Get the sales then fix what is potentially a great game.

While at times it was exciting and felt much more involved, I can't say that I miss watching a handful of bombs from an su-34 plummeting towards the flag I am capturing.

Back