BF3 servers lag and rubber-banding feedback.

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
I heard from a few people that there are issues like lag and rubber banding on the servers. I would like to know a few things to help us figure it out:

What server?
How many players?
What time of the day?
What map was it on?

What I do know that Conquest Server 1 (64 Player) was laggy and rubber banding alot when full. From what it seems it doesn't look like a server issue but a game, net code, or map issue.

Conquest 1
7 to 9 pm EST
64 man server
all maps
server full

Seemed intermittent early on, and became progressively worse until I logged. I wouldn't call it "unplayable", but rather merely "annoying".

I played on the 32 man servers the previous night with no noticeable issues.

45ms ping, connecting from Boston-ish.

Conquest 1
7 to 9 pm EST
64 man server
all maps
server full

Seemed intermittent early on, and became progressively worse until I logged. I wouldn't call it "unplayable", but rather merely "annoying".

I played on the 32 man servers the previous night with no noticeable issues.

45ms ping, connecting from Boston-ish.

+1 to all of that.

I dropped the 64 slot to 48. Gonna give this a try, if not its going to 32 players.

Hey Loco I think it was pretty much a BF3 wide thing not just your servers. I was playing on the [H]ard servers and watching mine at the same time. They were both experiencing lag at the same time. So not sure if it's local server problem or just a BF3 problem. My server is on NFO.

I heard from a few people that there are issues like lag and rubber banding on the servers. I would like to know a few things to help us figure it out:

What server?
How many players?
What time of the day?
What map was it on?

What I do know that Conquest Server 1 (64 Player) was laggy and rubber banding alot when full. From what it seems it doesn't look like a server issue but a game, net code, or map issue.

I've played on quite a few of the [H] 32 conquest and TDM servers with no issues. Anytime i log into the 64 conquest the rubber banding has been an issue.

+1 to all of that.

Same here. I was on that server and I think I was even on Loco's team/squad while that was going on.

There was some lag and what I would call "microstuttering" for lack of better terms but basically Loco said it all better than I can. I was playing from about 8-10pm EDT.

It's probably the servers code/netcode. I would bet there are servers with this issue running on non-HT processors.

First patch will probably be for stuff like this, but really, we saw this in the beta and they never fixed it. Must be something strange since it's not like we haven't had 64 player battlefield games for nearly 10 years now.

Someone should look at the IP traffic and see if the server lags output for a moment, or it sends outdated/bad packets.

I do experience lag and rubber-banding issues, but I do not think it is a problem with the hard servers. I think it is the net code. For me it seems to be random and not tied to a specific map, except tehran highway which seems to have it's own problems. Server provider or location don't seem to make a difference. Sometimes I can play 3-4 maps in a row fine and then the next map it's horrible. Sometimes I can only play 1 round before I get lag problems. Quitting and rejoining sometimes helps, but usually I will just switch to another server and it will be fine.

I do experience lag and rubber-banding issues, but I do not think it is a problem with the hard servers. I think it is the net code. For me it seems to be random and not tied to a specific map, except tehran highway which seems to have it's own problems. Server provider or location don't seem to make a difference. Sometimes I can play 3-4 maps in a row fine and then the next map it's horrible. Sometimes I can only play 1 round before I get lag problems. Quitting and rejoining sometimes helps, but usually I will just switch to another server and it will be fine.

Highway has been taken out of the rotation for the reason you just described. That map alone has bad rb issues in itself.

I noticed some rubber banding on the Conquest 64 player server 1 while it was full, but then again I've noticed the same on every other 64 player server I've been on..

Last edited:
I think it is the server hardware. I frequent 5-6 other servers that are always packed and it runs very smooth, never any lag or rubber banding. I also ping better to the [H] server than some of these servers.

I think it is the server hardware. I frequent 5-6 other servers that are always packed and it runs very smooth, never any lag or rubber banding. I also ping better to the [H] server than some of these servers.

it is most certainly not the hardware at all. I look at the logs every night and were not overloading.

Our hardware is:
2x Intel E5620 2.4ghz 8 core/16 threads
24GB DDR3
15K RPM SAS HDDs Raid 10
Dual Gigabit LAN

And no HT doesnt affect servers like it does client side.

I had some banding on the 48 player Conquest 1 server 3 hours ago. Went to another 64 player server I've been playing on and didn't experience any. Pings were comparable in battle-log. Looks that that [H] server is empty now so I'm guessing it has issues.

Was just on. I have no idea what you are talking about.

This was about an hour and a half ago. I tried to play on that server for about an hour with complete purges of the players, purges of some of the players, etc. Then they would slowly trickle back in back up to 48 players.

when I played the 32 player on the conquest 2 server yesterday there was rubber banding, don't think the hardware or connection can handle it. Also it showed me pinging below 50 in the server browser.

Can you set the server to only accept IP's from North America or with a certain ping?

Conquest 1 is booting everybody every 10 or 15 minutes. VERY annoying.

Valued Customers,

We are performing the R5 update to all Battlefield 3 servers this morning. This update is mandatory by EA. The update window is 10am EST time to 11am EST time.

If after 11am EST time you are having issues due to the update please let us know.

Thanks

could be why?

This server: [H]ard | Gaming TDM | HC DMG Server hard-gaming, just lost all its players. When I reconnected, I was the only one in there, nobody else tried to reconnect? Strange behavior. Either something is wrong with this server, or ..I dont know. (btw, this server was full also.)

Last edited:
Servers all updated to R6.

Please let us know of any new bugs or old bugs still resident. Also let us know about performance.

Here is what I believe to be the R6 patch notes, hopefully someone else knows more:

- Fix for crashes usually occurring during level switches. Server providers may see a little bit of memory leakage instead in this situation

- Game servers should no longer quit in some situations where the online backend servers are down. Server will reconnect to the backend once it's up again

- Fix for ghost servers which didn't accept connections

- Kick reasons should better match situations where they are issued. This will help battlelog provide more accurate information to the player

- Connection fixes to avoid players sometimes being rejected while joining the game server on one of the last slots

R6 should fix most/all the crashing errors they are not localized to just the HG server.

Brak thats all i got for my other servers as well

Yes, there's rubber banding on most servers. Seems some maps rubber band a lot and some none at all. Karg Island and Tehran Highway is rubber band central, I find.

Can't wait for these fixes...most game are ok; I was on 2 this week that was unplayable.

I'm not sure, I've been running into this issue on almost every server I've played on with more than 32 people. Doesn't stop me from kicking some ass but it's incredibly irritating.

Yes, there's rubber banding on most servers. Seems some maps rubber band a lot and some none at all. Karg Island and Tehran Highway is rubber band central, I find.

QFT. These maps are the worst for it for some reason, though it is on all maps to certain degrees. Has to be a net code issue.

Karg Island was so bad last night that I felt like I was going back in time a few seconds.

R7 Server build has been implemented. Please let us know how it does.

Changes
- Fix for rubber banding

- TDM/SQDM spawn point fix

- 2 crash fixes in end of round

- Fix for connection problem when joining password protected servers

- Removed ‘vars.allUnlocksUnlocked’ once ranked server settings are enforced, this may come back in some form.

Back