BF2142: Northern Strike Booster Pack Announced

haha... f the detractors, i'm lookin forward to this!

And EA is looking forward to your money. Sooner or later EA will start selling just the game engine with no maps or weapons (for the same price as a completed game) and expect users to pay up for a new map released every 2 months or so.

And of course the fanb0ys will lap it up and try to justify EA's actions with the same rhetoric which they recite as if it was a mantra, typically:

(1) poor EA needs to make more money, they are a business after all;
(2) it costs money to develop content ya know;
(3) you spend more money on a happy meal than you do for this awesome new content.

Too bad EA/Dice have intentionally hamstrung the ability of the community to generate its own content on a regular and free basis, because I am confident that the amateur mappers could produce more creative and better quality maps than the paltry offerings from EA.

And EA is looking forward to your money. Sooner or later EA will start selling just the game engine with no maps or weapons (for the same price as a completed game) and expect users to pay up for a new map released every 2 months or so.

And of course the fanb0ys will lap it up and try to justify EA's actions with the same rhetoric which they recite as if it was a mantra, typically:

(1) poor EA needs to make more money, they are a business after all;
(2) it costs money to develop content ya know;
(3) you spend more money on a happy meal than you do for this awesome new content.

Too bad EA/Dice have intentionally hamstrung the ability of the community to generate its own content on a regular and free basis, because I am confident that the amateur mappers could produce more creative and better quality maps than the paltry offerings from EA.

I think that's going a bit overboard [the very first bit]. Whilst I don't agree with the booster pack scheme and think it's a bit shitty, I will buy the product if it appeals to me and is sensibly priced, it's my decision, after all.

That said; anyone register 2142 or NFS:C? You notice how nerly 90% of the questions they asked in their survey seemed to be very focused on to what extent PCs were a preferred platform for gaming? Doesn't take a genius to see what they're thinking.

Definitely buying this.

To all those still complaining about EA:

Have fun staring at you computer screen and crying because you cant deal with a few minor bugs. I play 2142 flawlessly.

Me too...unfortunately, I'm @ a LAN w/ 1/150 people playing 2142. Will CSS just die please? :(

Yeah, anyone else noticed how CS:S in actual fact has more frequently-occurring/gameplay ruining bugs than 2142 (or whatever) yet gets far less coverage? I've noticed that the majority of people complaining about bugs or gameplay are basing this either on the demo or presumption, and that 90% of the people that are having a fucking fantastic time are those that bought the thing [though, admittedly, going out on a limb by doing so]? I get the sound bug once every 50th server in 2142, but every time I play CS I see shadows through walls, people's feet through ceilings, etc...

Who knows? As if I cared about the little minds in the little heads of the herd, wha'?

The amount of people that cannot comprehend one simple sentence is disconcerting.

I think the 2142 player base got up to 2 a little later. :p

So that's where you were, yesterday, hehe.

And what's with all this BF2 hate? It's a game, and some people like to play it. Hell, quite a few people love to play this game, and I can think of about three in this thread. :D Now, because some of you didn't like BF2, be it because you sucked at it or because it didn't run 2530x1650 on your 6600GT maxed out, you guys seem to be 2142 haters as well. I really don't get it - at all.

They're great games, more so BF2. Go try them, as I can guarantee that many of you haters haven't even loaded the game onto your HDD yet.

I wonder if I will be able to buy this some way besides the EA downloader... I already have Steam on my system, I don't want another client like that. I bought and installed 2142 from a box, and like it that way.

Now, if I was able to go to EA's site and download the booster pack as an install file, and pay them with a credit card to play online... that would be nice.

For what it's worth the EA Link client is a bit lighter and snappier than the Steam client. Obviously you can set it NOT to run in the background or on Windows startup so I don't think it's a big hassle. I'm pretty sure that's the only way to get the booster for 2142.

Sucks that it requires WinXP, two of my friends are still using Win2k so they can only play BF2+SF. And I can't get them to upgrade just for a game.

I'm a bit tired of games taking over the system, but having Steam update wo/ any real intervention from me has got merit w/ this gamer. The main problem w/ these boosters and expansions seems to be a lack of folks buying them. I picked up Secret Weapons for BF1942, but Wake Island had more players on a map than the whole expansion. Remember the good ole days of free maps?

EDIT: Hey check this out. I sure wish Nvidia and ATI would do something similar.

Definitely buying this.

To all those still complaining about EA:

Have fun staring at you computer screen and crying because you cant deal with a few minor bugs. I play 2142 flawlessly.

amen to that shizzle. I enjoy the game, granted there are few bugs in it, but they are minor, I can call out more bugs on cs_office then I can in bf2142. Either way, I am getting the booster pack, I'd rather spend the money and enjoy the gameplay rather then stare at Hard Forum and bitch about how unjustified it is.

Because of that! Lack of widescreen support and the "rational" we've been given (it would be unfair) make me very sad. But you can turn off lighting and see me hiding in the shadows...or buy an X-Fi and "hear" me better (according to the pamphlet in BF2). And what about the ads? Surely they must be paying for extra features to be added later since it's priced @ 49.99?

Oh noes!! I don't think I hate EA.

Do I need professional help? Am I supposed to hate them? Did my mommy and daddy not teach me something about EA that I should know? Do I need a seething, relentless rage against EA and all their products? Can I still post on this forum if I don't hate EA?

All these questions...

Defiant007, I have an idea:

If you don't want to be on topic and contribute in a useful manner, then get out of the thread.

Oh noes!! I don't think I hate EA.

Do I need professional help? Am I supposed to hate them? Did my mommy and daddy not teach me something about EA that I should know? Do I need a seething, relentless rage against EA and all their products? Can I still post on this forum if I don't hate EA?

All these questions...

Ahh, too bad the posts have already been edited. I mean cmon, I do not have widescreen atm, I could care less if it is available or not in the game. All this hate, in the time it took you guys to debate this, you could have played a map or two in 2142.

I did. :D It's lame what's going on, but it won't keep me from my BattleCrack!!

I cant even play my 2142. It says the disc isn't the origianl. I can reinstall it and it will work for a few days then start saying it again. :(

Back