BF2142 demo - I can't even begin to put into words...

Status
Not open for further replies.
altcon said:
Downloaded it pessimistically, installed while crossing my fingers, tried to launch it with happy thoughts in mind....
Crashed straight to desktop, uninstalled POS (after checking drivers, DX, Stability and making sure ALL MY OTHER GAMES RUN GREAT), erased wasted disk space,
swore off EA Games forever and came to Rant...
Great demo, allways the best from EA and dice, BF2 was a POS and now this demo (obviously not thoroughly tested) follows its footsteps.
I agree with you. I really stopped caring about the Battlefield series after all of the booster packs....what I am disspaointed with is fing NBA LIVE, I was so hyped about the release....

Another vote for stupidest fps since tribes.
-Bland graphics (cant even play at my native widescreen res).
-BORING
-Its RARE to find any infantry on foot.
-Same game.. new package.. only worse.
-Bf2 wasn't that bad.. this game is.
-what happened to the graphics??!?!? This game is an obvious downgrade from bf2. It looks like ghost recon... the original ghost recon.
GOD DAMN IT THIS GAME SUCKS.

You have to bear in mind, of course, that this is just one map - the Beta map, whatever it was, was far from boring on foot, yet not vehicle-dominated. If you loved every single aspect of every single BF2 map, or even CoD, CS or any other fps, then you may well be disappointed; just bear in mind that it's a demo, and as such you only get a limited taste of what the game is going to be like. KEKE? It really doesn't make sense to label the entire game as "boring" because they released a vehicle-heavy or open map with the demo, because they're not all going to be exactly the same.

I personally loved Gulf of Oman when BF2 was released, but a few months into owning it I couldn't stand it compared to some other maps, for instance.

i haven't played it with what i have seen here just skimming, i think im gonna stay far far away from the new bf and any other parts of it

just like i did with bf2 when the shitty control system was carried over from bf1..

EA just cant release a game thats truely player friendly interface/config wise and

BUG FREE

every game they release on pc is fucking horrably littered with bugs

I played the demo only for about an hour. It is too short time to evaluate the full content, but here I go. Graphics look bad even with every quality setting set to high. The visual style is somewhat dull. Bad sounds. A bit odd, because Battlefield 2 does have good aural impressions. Soon to be come Quake Wars can not be worse than this.

I think they should have concentrated on fixing the bugs and performance of the good-to-play-but-technically-bad BF2 game.

I played the shit out of Battlefield 2. Mostly on LaidBackCrew.com. May fire it up from time to time but Im tired of the Battlefield series. EA completely killed it with shit patches, shit support, and shit expansions.

I urge others to not give in and buy 2142, stop supporting EA on this franchise, let it fail and maybe just maybe they'll wake up.

Question: What's with this error at runtime? I try to run the demo and boom, I'm hit with a cannot find "d3ddx9_somethingsomething"? I have DirectX 9, I'm sure of it... why would this be a problem?

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_29

download that and drag and drop the unzipped .dll into your C:/WINDOWS/System32 folder.

As for the game being boring, I guess it depends on which servers you play on, as with most things; for me the first server I joined had 45 people, and was amazing - intense firefights with squadwork to keep the central point (on conquest), people manning stationary weapons, running around resupplying, air drops and air support left, right and centre... no bugs either. I personally loved it, but there you go. Can't argue subjectivity.

Also, you can turn off screen bob if you care to look in the options.

I agree with you wally. I was playing on a 64 man server with 58 people on it and it was actually running good. You would never see me on a server larger then 32 on BF2 because of the intense lag, but in 2142 it ran flawless. Im really liking the new weapons especially now that they made them all accurate. Thats one of the main things that frustrated me in BF2. Overall I definately think this is worth a buy.

Wow this game is terrible, youd think in the future guns would have better accuracy that BB rifles. I find it very bland. To the person who compared it to Tribes, HOW DARE YOU its nothing like it!!! Tribes was a good game.

At least they released a demo, now I know not to ever touch the retail game.

I was a hardcore BF2 fan. I used to play everyday, for at least two hours if not more. I thought it had to be one of the best, if not the best MP FPS to date. With that said, I was pumped for 2142. Though I didn't like the whole futuristic setting, I was willing to give it a shot. I shelled out the $7 for a FP subscription, and played two phases of the beta. As of yesterday, I also got to play the demo.

First off, for those who complain about stupid things, like the screen bob . . . why not just turn it off?

Like Jeff, I also found that this game runs like shit compared to BF2. As you can see in my sig, I consider myself to have a high end machine (Opty 170 @ 2.5, 7950GX2, 2GB RAM). It is in no way near as smooth as BF2 runs. Granteed I have everything on high, 4xaa 16xaf, and advanced lighting on @ 1680x1050 - however it should still run. I haven't yet monitored my FPS, though I will do it today when I get off of work.

I only had one disconnect, so I can't really complain here, however something I can complain about is the immensize amount of network lag. People weren't walking or running, but rather sliding across the battlefield. I had originally thought maybe it was something with my router, however 2 of my buddies report the same issue as well.

As far as the vehicles and guns go; I don't really have a problem with them. A new game, brings new content; so I'll just have to adapt to the handlings of the weapons and vehicles. However, one vehicle I will comment on is the hover tank. It's stupid, plain and simple. It's not the handling that bothers me, but rather the idea that you have to turn the whole tank in order to spin the turret. It's retarded . . .

As far as the map goes, so far I think Sidi sucks. I liked Verdun much better. Besides the fact that the textures on sidi suck ass, Verdun seemed to have more action. Which speaking of action, what the hell is with this new gun movement? 2142 is far from realistic. There is no need to have gun swaying in the game. Just like the hover tank, it's retarded.

As I spoke above about the textures, what the hell happened? Verdun actually looked good. Sidi looks like some CPU test from 3DMark06 . . . I'll leave it at that.

If I had to rate the game as it stands right now, I would only give it a 6 or 7; whereby a 7 is pushing it. While they did come a long way with bugs from the beta, the game overall is still very bland. It doesn't feel anything like any of the BF titles. As far as will I buy it, I'm not sure yet. My feeling right now is I probably will, however who knows if I'll put anywhere near the 700 hours I have in BF2.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Ok, you guys with your shocking revelation that 2142 is kind of like BF2...

EA: "2142 uses the BF2 graphical/audio engine."
Player: "OMG, it feels like BF2! This is the suxorz!"

Brilliant.

With a decent enough engine you can make practically any game, the amount mods for the unreal engien are outstanding, there's space sims, racing games, FPS games, top down shooters.

I've seen FPS games built with flight sim engines and brand new games using engiens that are still based on old legacy engines which have components dating back to the orignal quake.

So what if the game uses the same graphical/audio engine, I bet there's a lot you can do with it if you wanted to. Yet by the sounds of things all they've done is updated the weapons looks and sounds and tweaked the game mod slightly, nothing thats going to re-hash interest for a lot of people.

It's no shocking revelation, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it's using the same engine, it's because we all know BF2142 is just BF2 and all EA/Dice have done is make as many cosmetic changes to the game as possible, then repackage it and sell it as new, with all the same bugs and problems the original had.

And supprise supprise.

Using the same engine is no excuse for the bumbling mess that is BF2142

2142 sucks.

My clans sticking to BF2 until QWs comes out and

FFS PLEASE SAVE THIS GENRE FROM EA!!!

Unbelievable how badly they botched it on every level. asshats

i played a few times but every time i play i get kicked out after about 10 minutes because I always lost connection with the EA master server... anyone else run into this problem?

For those of you who play BF2, do you ever get a login failure when loging in? I get it about 70% of the time. This game is no different but of course it takes like 3 minutes to time out and not 15 seconds like Battlefield 2.

As soemone said earlier, this would probably be quite fun as a $10 mod, and if it were a community mod it would likley be very excellent, but after playing the demo I cannot imagine paying $50 for it...

Titan mode looks fun, but it looks as if I am going to save my money for UT2007, crysis, and other games that are actually new games :)

Ive had 0 problems with it apart from my sound stopping when the game starts.. the movies play fine.. menu is fine..soon as I get on a server..crickets.. nada.

But I would like to say that having green, yellow, and red latency meters is so goddamned stupid. We're not idiots. Most people know what ping/latency they want to play at.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
No, but I thought you were.

What happens if QW isn't the savior of all things MP FPS gaming?

What happens is we have a highly moddable ID engine that is stable(given the history of ID) and has vehicle support built in.

Sky15 said:
Umm I can't even move, DisConn every 5 secs?

I had that problem too. It is a dual core issue. Strangely, BF2 only exhibits the problem on LAN, but 2142 exhibits the problem on the net too.

Before you login, ALT+TAB out and set the BF2142 affinity to a single core(use taskmgr, right click, set affinity, uncheck one on your cores).

Or, you can use prioaff.
Here is my 2142 shortcut:
"C:\Games\Battlefield 2142 Demo\prioaff.exe" 2 01 "C:\Games\Battlefield 2142 Demo\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1080
Here is prioaff: http://www.valhallalegends.com/adron/prioaff/prioaff.zip

Dew said:
What happens is we have a highly moddable ID engine that is stable(given the history of ID) and has vehicle support built in.

I had that problem too. It is a dual core issue. Strangely, BF2 only exhibits the problem on LAN, but 2142 exhibits the problem on the net too.

Before you login, ALT+TAB out and set the BF2142 affinity to a single core(use taskmgr, right click, set affinity, uncheck one on your cores).

Or, you can use prioaff.
Here is my 2142 shortcut:
"C:\Games\Battlefield 2142 Demo\prioaff.exe" 2 01 "C:\Games\Battlefield 2142 Demo\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1080
Here is prioaff: http://www.valhallalegends.com/adron/prioaff/prioaff.zip

Got any fixes when it's single core and I get in sequence now

1. Had to manually fix the d3d error
2. Finally got everything together loaded the map JUST about to play then Lose connection to server
3.Then try joining another server only to get

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!

4. Uninstall demo, run registry mechanic, reboot and forget about this buggy POS.

IanG said:
were you expecting more from a 1.0 battlefield release? Don't be too worried if you preordered, I'm sure there'll be a patch out before you get the game to fix some of these issues. :rolleyes:

And some people are still waiting for them to fix BF2. Fuck you EA! Fuck you!

Frontlines for life.

Not impressed with this game :( ..... BF2 is lot better if you ask me even the graphics are better in BF2. They could of did better but they went the cheap route. :rolleyes: BF2 all the way if you ask me. :)

the demo sucks, I imagine the Retail is gonna be better, but man, the demo is just BORING. /back to bf2 for the moment.

one of these days a ninja is going break into EA and chinese star them to death, then with sharks with laser beams attached will destroy what other companys like DICE that havent been liquidated by EA.

Just wondering - why is everyone that complains of lag and such blaming the game? Does it not occur to you that things like the server quality vary? I've had no problems so far, but maybe i'm not trying hard enough :p
Time to start connecting to the red-barred servers, I guess, maybe then i'll finally see what i've been missing.
Seems to be a lot of people knocking about with their opinions of the game already predetermined.

IanG said:
were you expecting more from a 1.0 battlefield release? Don't be too worried if you preordered, I'm sure there'll be a patch out before you get the game to fix some of these issues. :rolleyes:
Looking at BF2 today, I wouldn't be expecting any more from a full release than what they have now.

I just finished playing the demo on various servers and boy was it laggy.

The very poor hit detection enabled the enemy and I to strafe each other at close range ( 1 meter ) with automatic weapons for about 10 seconds. Hilarious. This happened on more than one server.

Although, sometimes it didn't lag as bad so it was iffy at best.

Other games, I would say "Oh, they'll fix it soon." However, these people are the ones who created the mediocre patch support for BF2.

The game play was ok, nothing stellar.

My current opinion: Pass and stick to BF2.

y'all a bunch of haters. i agree with all of you. but i hate bf2 just as much since it refuses to run without issue for me (out of the blue).

I just downloaded and tried the demo. I can get a BF2 connection (POE2 FTW BTW) with no issues but it took several retries for me to connect to the main server just to create an account. Same complaints as earlier: control key settings not changing correctly. Why did they even waste time with a beta if they can't get little things to work correctly. I was looking forward to this but it basically feels like a half-a55 mod for BF2.

I love special forces and armored fury -those had me still playing BF2 until POE2 came out. That basically felt like it finally "fixed" the game. I never had huge buggy problems with BF2 but POE2 has kept me from regular BF2 since it came out. I have several friends who stopped or "never" played BF2 because of the bugs in the game: crashing with initial install, crashing after patching. If I see 2142 on sale for like 25 bucks I might buy it after seeing what the initial thoughts/reviews of the full game are but no way is EA getting 50 bucks for this from me.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
It is National sarcasm awareness month. ;)

But you're right, QW is a great hope for MP FPS. Yes, hope. So is comparing a released demo/game with hope relevant?

Simply put, BF-whatever has always been clunky and buggy.

RTCW and RTCW-ET were awesome games. Splash dammage (makers of ET), got it right. I have high hopes for QW-ET. I suppose they could botch it, but historically speaking, they have a good chance of getting it right.

This is the first time I have heard of Frontlines. What happened to Trauma Studios? Changed their name or is it because Dice bought them and the company and they were fired so then had to regroup under a new name?

Anyway, the game looks like it could be what battlefield should be.

I played some of it. It's pretty much what I figured it to be, a BF2 reskin. Why would I pay $50 for that. BF 2 even looks nicer.

I am now convinced that Wally and WhyYouLoveMe are EA shills. There is no defensible argument any reasonable person could make saying 2142 is in any way a "good" game yet here you two are, same as in every BF thread denigrating anyone that thinks a BF game is in any way sub-par.

The demo is no different than the beta. It's horrible.

Opie said:
I am now convinced that Wally and WhyYouLoveMe are EA shills. There is no defensible argument any reasonable person could make saying 2142 is in any way a "good" game yet here you two are, same as in every BF thread denigrating anyone that thinks a BF game is in any way sub-par.

I just think their ignorant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(computer_gaming)
Mod or modification is a term generally applied to computer games, especially first-person shooters and real-time strategy games. Mods are made by the general public, and can be entirely new games in themselves. They can include new items, weapons, characters, enemies, models, modes, textures, levels, story lines and gamemodes. They also usually take place in unique locations. They can be single-player or multiplayer. Mods that add new content to the underlying game are often called partial conversions, while mods that create an entirely new game are called total conversions.

Yeah its kind of wierd how there is always some people that go against the tide like that... You can add Bo_Bice to that list :rolleyes: . Sometimes it makes you wonder if there are EA staff trolling the various message boards pumping postive propaganda and bashing those who think the recent EA games are horrible.

nullzero said:
Yeah its kind of wierd how there is always some people that go against the tide like that... You can add Bo_Bice to that list :rolleyes: . Sometimes it makes you wonder if there are EA staff trolling the various message boards pumping postive propaganda and bashing those who think the recent EA games are horrible.

If only so much effort went into fixing two year old bugs.

I personally liked the Game.

I had only 1 disconnect outta the 7 or 8 hours i played it. Although i found the hovertank a little awkward to drive i got used to it pretty quick. I agree the turrets should turn however. Only problem i had with the game had to do with the EMP stuff. The EMP artillery strike is rather gay. If it's gonna shut peoples vehicals down, it should be for more than 5 seconds. I think i'd prefure good old fashioned ballistics Artillery.

I was Very impressed in the animation and functioning of the walkers. I didnt have a problem with being abe to hit anything while i was walking.

The flat out run time on the infantry is a tad short. That Endurance bar runs out way too fast.

I was gettig 40 to 60 frames per second, but that wasnt an issue with me. I didnt notice a difference between BF2 and BF2142.

The Graphics were defintly resembling battlefield 2, But i expected this and it wasnt a big dissapointment as i already knew that 2142 was built off the bf2 engine.

Overall, I liked the game. Although i likely will think hard before i decide to pay 50 bucks for the game, i will eventually buy it. But currently i belive 50 buckeroos is too much so i iwll wait till the price comes down.

I will agree... I give the game a 6.5 outa 10.

Opie said:

I liked the beta. For those of us that consider what we're saying occasionally, i'm going to come out with a bit of a revelation here - it is subjective. It is a matter of opinion, and in the 2142 demo's case, luck; i've had no issues running it, but i'm not saying other people haven't. It's not the first game engine to have lots of bugs or be less than perfect, but i'm not looking at that just yet because I can put up with it; I couldn't play BF2 for eight months after buying it because of a mystery motherboard problem with PB, but instead of bitching and crying I fixed it and then enjoyed a fucking fun game. Same with 2142.

I'm sorry if it's not your cup of tea, but trying to villify the minority that's got no problem standing up and saying "hey, well, you don't like the gameplay, fair enough, but I like this game and I don't see why you're pissing and bitching citing weapon bob as an element of a shittily-coded game, rather than just turning it off." seems a bit daft. The rest of the people that love and can play BF2/2142 are off playing it, not just sitting on forums telling everybody about how much they love it. I am.

P.S. CONANO LIKE IT AND SAID HE DID! UNDERCOV3R E4 4GENT !!
XTF !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back