BF2142 demo - I can't even begin to put into words...

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatfestival

[H]ard|Gawd
... how crap it is.

I don't know how many times I lost connection, to both the game server and the EA master server.
At one point it froze up, necessitating a reset.
Constant lag/twitching around.
Infantry combat is still a joke.
Aircraft still explode at the merest hint of a collision.
Most vehicles still handle like they're being driven through quicksand.
Substandard frame rate.
The graphics are incredibly bland.

were you expecting more from a 1.0 battlefield release? Don't be too worried if you preordered, I'm sure there'll be a patch out before you get the game to fix some of these issues. :rolleyes:

No, I have no intention of buying it. I bought BF2 + Special Forces, and after that vowed never to buy one of their shitty games again. I just thought I'd have a look out of curiosity, perhaps it would give me something to play until Quake Wars is out. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I wasn't expecting something quite so bad.

meatfestival said:
No, I have no intention of buying it. I bought BF2 + Special Forces, and after that vowed never to buy one of their shitty games again. I just thought I'd have a look out of curiosity, perhaps it would give me something to play until Quake Wars is out. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I wasn't expecting something quite so bad.

qft

QW better live up to the hype :)

I had a friend who played the beta, and told me that it was gonna flop. I trust his opinion but I tried it anyway last night.

I do not know what in the hell got into EA and/or Dices heads but they completely decimated any notion or "feel" of the other Battlefield games.

When I first got into a server, the game had reset my options so I was stuck in 800 x 600. Set my stuff up again, reverted again. Set it up a third time and it finally took. Ok, still looks like complete ass, even with everything on high.

The infantry combat has the worst "feel" to it out of any game I have ever played. Heavy armor or not, you feel like you are running through molasses the whole time. Even when sprinting. Literally, your "normal" run speed is almost equivelant to a walk speed in BF2. When you sprint, you barely get a speed boost. All the while your moving at a snails pase your screen is jerking around like your having a seizure.

Vehicles aren't much better. The hover tank is rediculious ecspecially. For one, the controls on it are incredibly akward, then add to that you can only move the turret up and down. To face a target you have to turn the whole bloody tank. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough. Shouldn't a "HOVER" tank be able to "HOVER" over water? Oh, wait, no, it sinks.
The only thing I did like about the vehicles is the mech's walk animation. They did a good job on it. Just don't try and shoot anything from the first person view while your walking. You bounce around like crazy.

The textures just make this game incredibly blah. The graphics looks worse to me then BF2 do yet its the same engine. How can a company make a game, on the same engine, which supposedly is supposed to be the "refined game that players want" according to some dev QA recently, look WORSE then the game that was released over a year ago.

BF2 and the issues had me on the edge of no longer buying Dice products. Its a good game but it has a ton of issues. PoE brought me back for awhile, but even the newness of that has worn off to a degree. It just seems like EA and/or DiCe refuse to actually listen to what their customers have to say... or if they are they are listening to some weird ass test bed they have set up where everyone is brainwashed into thinking they are gods. Ok.. probably not, they are just horrible lately.

Just my 2 cents. Won't be touching this one.

Lets hope EA just leaves the PC Game industry all together and focus on crap console games.

YOU GUYS SHOULD START A bf2142 BOYCOTT OR SOMETHIGN SO I FLOPS HORRIBLEY AND THE COMPANY LOSES PROFITS AND GOES UNDER

cLaWz said:
Then, as if that wasn't bad enough. Shouldn't a "HOVER" tank be able to "HOVER" over water? Oh, wait, no, it sinks.

Idiot, didn't you ever see Back to the Future 2!

YOU GUYS SHOULD START A bf2142 BOYCOTT OR SOMETHIGN SO I FLOPS HORRIBLEY AND THE COMPANY LOSES PROFITS AND GOES UNDER

A company of EAs size will take sometime to go under... but if they keep up the current pump out of crap games its only a matter of time till they start hurting. Im almost tempted to short a big chunk of ERTS stock, Im almost certain it will be a nice gain in the next few months.

Putting my money where my mouth is I just shorted 190shrs of ERTS. I will update you guys in the future of how it goes.

Has anyone else played the demo to verify his opinion. I have and all I can say is it was great. I recieved no lag or graphical glitches. Infanty combat is greatly improved from the beta, guns now kill in a few hits. The only reason the demo is a bit unbalanced is because unlocks are not available leaving vehicles pretty dominant.

I h4t3 EA! They took my birthday and spit on my mom! Then they said they weren't going to patch it! Then the fairy came and help up her wand with the unlock! OMG the haxors!

Hey... What day is it?

meatfestival said:
... how crap it is.

I don't know how many times I lost connection, to both the game server and the EA master server.
Substandard frame rate.

Describes my experience with the BF2 demo from last summer to a T.
I'm gonna play the 2142 demo just to see the trainwreck.
Thank god for ET Quake Wars.

Stereophile said:
Thank god for ET Quake Wars.

Totally! It runs great on my system, TONS of people play it, I can't get enough of the fantastic gamplay/graphics/audio and it never needed a patch! Holee frickin' crap it's the Godsend of PC games!

Where did you buy your copy?

It's the best hope for upcoming team oriented MP fps.
Your sarcasm is a bit over the top. :rolleyes:

I can't stand the demo. I pre-ordered via the EA downloader and I'm trying to find a way to get my money back.

I'm guessing i'm SOL.

Jeff

Stereophile said:
It's the best hope for upcoming team oriented MP fps.
Your sarcasm is a bit over the top. :rolleyes:

It is National sarcasm awareness month. ;)

But you're right, QW is a great hope for MP FPS. Yes, hope. So is comparing a released demo/game with hope relevant?

playrh8r said:
I can't stand the demo. I pre-ordered via the EA downloader and I'm trying to find a way to get my money back.

I'm guessing i'm SOL.

Jeff

Well if you don't get your money back you can rest assured you'll be ridiculed by many a [H]ardForum member for pre-ordering it. (me being excluded from that crowd) Good luck to ya.

I too fell victim to numerous disconnects. This problem wasn't apparent to me in the beta, but is quite a pain in the ass, in typical EA fashion.

Sphere

WhyYouLoveMe said:
But you're right, QW is a great hope for MP FPS. Yes, hope. So is comparing a released demo/game with hope relevant?

I didn't say ET Quake Wars is the best game I've ever played.
I meant at least it is something to look forward to.
I'm not sure what the controversy is about ? Are you bored and just looking to start trouble ?

Stereophile said:
I'm not sure what the controversy is about ? Are you bored and just looking to start trouble ?

No, but I thought you were.

What happens if QW isn't the savior of all things MP FPS gaming?

I've had no technical problems with the game whatsoever, but I do dislike it.

The one and only thing I like about it so far is the Titan mode.
It's extremely exhilarating to fly up to the enemy Titan when the shields are down, parachute down onto it, and raid it with your squad.
And then, escaping it and parachuting to a win. :p

But, other than that, it's basically BF2... except now the screen bobs. Ooohh...
lol

hrm....... well, I wasn't that trilled with the demo.. very bland to me.. I like BF2 better still.

where are u guys getting this demo from?

i'm getting it from Gamespot and it's going very slow

LOL @ the hover tanks sinking....I had no idea, I'm gonna try that out when I get back from work.

I wish the game would run well on my computer...thats my biggest gripe with it now...apparently theres a major bug where your FPS takes a nosedive if the commander moves the titan.

pookguy88, you can get the demo from the EA downloader at this point (EA's version of Steam), and will probably get decent speeds.

MJCfromCT said:
LOL @ the hover tanks sinking....I had no idea, I'm gonna try that out when I get back from work.

I wish the game would run well on my computer...thats my biggest gripe with it now...apparently theres a major bug where your FPS takes a nosedive if the commander moves the titan.

pookguy88, you can get the demo from the EA downloader at this point (EA's version of Steam), and will probably get decent speeds.

but i didn't preorder..

There are alot of sites who already have it hosted. I personally grabbed it from the newsgroups.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Totally! It runs great on my system, TONS of people play it, I can't get enough of the fantastic gamplay/graphics/audio and it never needed a patch! Holee frickin' crap it's the Godsend of PC games!

Where did you buy your copy?
Your sarcasm is getting as old as those EA/DICE hate threads. No offense dude, coming to these boards everyday and reading the same stuff over and over about widescreen support for BF and bugs and how EA is the devil and blah is getting old and can get annoying, but you well know that this games has flaws and BF2142 is just an attempt to milk the same players who play BF2 as well as new players out of money for a face-lift is just plain and simple wrong.

bazylik said:
Your sarcasm is getting as old as those EA/DICE hate threads. No offense dude, coming to these boards everyday and reading the same stuff over and over about widescreen support for BF and bugs and how EA is the devil and blah is getting old and can get annoying, but you well know that this games has flaws and BF2142 is just an attempt to milk the same players who play BF2 as well as new players out of money for a face-lift is just plain and simple wrong.

Is Coca-Cola trying to "milk" me when they release a new flavor of Coke? Last time I checked EA isn't forcing people to buy their games.

EDIT: October is national sarcasm awareness month. ;)

meatfestival said:
... how crap it is.

Substandard frame rate.

HAHAHA!

Is anyone really actually supprised?

Didnt think so.

BarneyGumble said:
Idiot, didn't you ever see Back to the Future 2!

the hoverboard in back to the future 2 didn't sink...the guys just didn't have anything to push off of to gain forward momentum...

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Is Coca-Cola trying to "milk" me when they release a new flavor of Coke? Last time I checked EA isn't forcing people to buy their games.

EDIT: October is national sarcasm awareness month. ;)
should've underlined the word attempt but *shrug* whatever.

I, like many of you, have been exprienceing and huge number of bugs as well. Ive had so many dropped connections and freeze up that i can rarley even finish one whole round. My PC is in decent shape and I have a cable connection so this simply should not be happening.
God damn EA has shit the bed again.

bazylik said:
should've underlined the word attempt but *shrug* whatever.

So they're not milking you. So what's the frickin' problem? EA can do whatever they want. You want EA to act your way go take it over.

Did you pay for it? No? Then go hang out with all the Vista RC1 bitchers in your world where free software is supposed to be perfect. Have a nice day.

Stereophile said:
lol @ online trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back