BF2:SF Released - Where are the Reviews?

NumbLock

Limp Gawd
Well, BF2 was released like minutes ago, but where are the reviews?

I personally am not touching BF2 until a patch, but I really love the game, and I want to know what people are thinking.

No reviews, but the previews I've read sound pretty promising.

Regardless, I'm waiting a few days anyways for the servers to get switched over.

There's also a BF2 patch coming out today. The server patch was released yesterday. I haven't found a fix list in English, yet... There's a web site in Dutch that has the list, but Google doesn't have a Dutch->English translator. *sniff*

And I ain't touchin' BF2:SF unless this newest patch finally fixes some crap. (even though I LOVE BF2)

I got my preordered SF last night and installed it. No servers showed up on the browser and then I tried to play BF2 and it said I had a newer version. Uninstalled SF and re-applied the 1.03 patch and said the same thing. Screw it, I'll just wait for everything to update...

Patch is out!

http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/editorial.jsp?src=communityupdate_112205

Special Forces Unlocks
In anticipation of the upcoming expansion pack, Battlefield 2 Special Forces, DICE has revealed the new unlocks for the game. Take note, in order to unlock these, you must first have unlocked the base Battlefield 2 weapons for that kit (for example: to be get the F2000 the user must first unlock the G3).

* Scar-L for Spec Ops
* G36E for Medic
* F2000 (w/ grenade launcher) for Assault
* MP7 for Engineer
* MG36 for Support

Update v1.12
The next Battlefield update is now available. ALL Battlefield 2 owners should install it. And yes, we have a list fixes and enhancements for you.

IMPORTANT
If you've installed the 1.12 update to the "core" Battlefield 2 product and then installed Battlefield 2: Special Forces afterwards, you will need to re-apply the 1.12 update to be able to play on the new 1.12 Servers.

BUG FIXES

* Fixed a crash when users switch weapons using the mouse wheel while piloting a bomber (SU-34, F-15 and J10) in core BF2 maps.
* Removed the Grappling Hook and the Zip Line from kits from "The Iron Gator" map.
* Fixed single player loading screens to match map selection image.
* Fixed an issue in the menus so that users can click on BF2:SF ribbons to view the descriptions.
* Fixed an issue in the Browser so that BF2:SF servers are now represented with a green "2" icon.
* Global improvement of collision detection on the Grappling Hook and the Zip Line.
* Fixed damage state artillery icon on the 3d map when an artillery is destroyed.

CHANGE of VIDEO SPECS

* GeForce FX 5900 family:
o GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
o GeForce FX 5900
o GeForce FX 5900XT
o GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
o GeForce FX 5900ZT
o GeForce PCX 5900
* For these cards, the default video settings have been changed to LOW.

UPDATE TO GRAPPLING HOOK AND ZIP LINE DESCRIPTION

GRAPPLING HOOK

* The GRAPPLING HOOK is part of the Assault and Anti-tank kits. Throw it using the fire or alternate fire buttons. Press "E" to get on and off of the rope.
* Use the direction keys to climb the rope. The rope will connect to any static object in the world, which means it will not work on terrain or vehicles. Any Assault or Anti-Tank kit can pick up any grappling hook, even those from other teams, as long as you do not already have one in your kit at the time.

ZIP LINE

* The ZIP LINE is part of the Special Forces and Sniper kits. Use the fire button to shoot the line and use the alternate fire button to check if the target is a viable connection point or not. Once the line is in place, use "E" to get on. You will slide down the line automatically. Any Spec-Ops or Sniper kit can pick up any zip line, even those from the other team, as long as you do not already have one in your kit at the time.

Nice. But they really need to give the Support class some love. I would have liked to have seen them get the grappling hook instead of Anti-tank.

Glad I saved one of my BF2 unlocks. Now I can pick it based on the BF2 SF goodies.

SO the preferred order is to install the expansion, and then Patch yes? Because otherwise you've got to apply the patch twice. Yeah.

I got SF installed form the EA download, its working great. No new bugs so far. (as if bf2 has bugs? I dont see any and its all I play)

the Gralphing hooks are way cooler than I thought they would be, there very usefull...

Downloading via EA click and buy as we speak. EA did this right because we don't need the program running to play the game. Buy, log in and download game. Cool stuff. Man their servers are fast especially being the first day. Only 1:15:00 to download 1 GIG.

Downloading it right now too. For me, the most incredibly fun time you can have with a new shooter is the first couple days after release. Everyone is screwing around, figuring out all the tricks.

I know this is an addon, but I'm hoping for some more of that "everybody's a noob" type experience

NumbLock said:

I personally am not touching BF2 until a patch, but I really love the game, and I want to know what people are thinking.

Not touchign it until a patch?

There was one a long time ago.

NumbLock said:

heh.. where are the reviews?? where the hell is the game i went to three stores... and none of them got them in :(

sherb said:
heh.. where are the reviews?? where the hell is the game i went to three stores... and none of them got them in :(
Buy it off of eagames.com and download. That is what I did and it works perfect. Not alot of people online yet though

im in the process of dling it... cant wait to play. really dont know why i bou8ght it, but knew itd be fun for abit, atleast the grappling hook. FASFasfasgaghasdgh@$%^@$@ ;)

how is it? is it much different than the normal bf2 and does it actually have "stealth like" gameplay or is it pretty much the same thing in the dark

u can dl this game off ebgames? thatd be great i dont want to get trampled over by the xbox360 ppl at frys lol

Arkanian said:
Buy it off of eagames.com and download. That is what I did and it works perfect. Not alot of people online yet though
is it cheaper? because of no boxes, and things like that?

Pretty cool expansion. not all the day maps are great but the night maps are pretty damn fun

worth getting if u like bf2 for sure

apparently with the new patch and the release of SF people who have SF can select the SF weapons(including flashbangs) and kits on regular BF2 servers, but people who didn't purchase the expansion can't select them. Alot of people who bought the expansion are saying its just like they payed for a patch, from what I read it seem like an average mod, nothing great, not worth the money. Looks like BF2 will stay on the shelf until some decent mods(FH) are released.

darkhorse said:
apparently with the new patch and the release of SF people who have SF can select the SF weapons(including flashbangs) and kits on regular BF2 servers, but people who didn't purchase the expansion can't select them.

Seems like a good way to either:

A) Make everyone buy the expansion
B) Piss everyone off that didn't buy the expansion and make them quit

It was 29.99 off of eagames.com. I would rate it a 7.5/10. Now I wouldn't consider this a patch but I would consider this a mod which is really what it is. I can not really commit on it alot yet as I haven't played it long enough.

Tedium said:

A) Why? its still 100% playable without SF once the patch is installed
B) I dont see how you can be pissed.. if you dont but the game you cant pick the kits..

PHP:
is it cheaper? because of no boxes, and things like that?
you still get the game shipped to you.. you jsut get it by download for release date...

Tedium said:

So far, I see the B response. With me as well as on my normal favorite servers.

Volkum said:
So how are stats working? Are BF2 core and SF combined or separate?

Combined. All I did was play SF today and those points are reflected when I open up vanilla BF2.

I(illa Bee said:
A)you still get the game shipped to you.. you jsut get it by download for release date...

Really? I couldn't find that info on their site....maybe I just missed it? :( (Not saying you're wrong or anything, I just wanted to doublecheck)

just buy it, if you can afford a rig good enough to play it, you can afford a $29 expanison.

Booby McNipples said:
Really? I couldn't find that info on their site....maybe I just missed it? :( (Not saying you're wrong or anything, I just wanted to doublecheck)

I was wrong you dont get it.. I was kind of mislead into thinking you did get it in the mail..dosnt matter thought I allready have a .iso of the SP disk...

I(illa Bee said:
I was wrong you dont get it.. I was kind of mislead into thinking you did get it in the mail..dosnt matter thought I allready have a .iso of the SP disk...

Ok, thanks. It's not like you get anything extra with packaging anyway and at least you don't have to worry about scratching the dang disks, just go and download it again! :)

Back