BF2 runs choppy w/ a 7900GTX?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
I can't believe this but yes. I get normal 3D06 scores around 6200-6300 depending on my oc very mild 2.2 on an opty 170. BF2 is just slightly jittery or something and my FPS is the same REGARDLESS of settings around 50-90 fps but sometimes in the 40s! at 1280x1024. I noticed on my Core Center that my V core fluctuates b/w 1.32-1.41! I had to use an Antec 350 watt b/c both my Seasonic SLI and Antec Sli busted. I am using and APC backups and I had a SN25P run on the same power supply for 6 months without a hiccup. I need to reformat I think b/c I just did a repair install on this HD after it had run on another MSI SLI mobo a while back. just venting really but if anyone has a guess about the voltage Holla back?

Could we get a total system rundown

You've already got me nervous with the words 350 and 7900GTX :D

And have you run through the BF tweak guide?

have mercy. I believe it was due mostly to EAX. I still get crappy fps for that rig but turning that off and using X-Fi at medium and turning cmss 3d off helps that stutter. It's playable now I guess.

I have it running on High Quality on Basic to get rid of the shimmer and turned shadows, dyn lights and lights to low with all else on high w/ 4x aa.

I WILL replace the PSU just as soon as ANTEC sends me a replacement.

I ALREADY rma'd the Seasonic and they just shipped it right back to me busted just like it was when I sent it to tham.

THANKS SEASONIC

douchebags.

I have all the latest drivers and bios running btw. The voltage flux is worrisome for sure but temps are normal so is all benchmarks. Just Good ole BF2 being a bizznatch.

Oh 2 gigs of Corsair Pro and my temps are good. cpu under load is only 47-48, sys temp around 40 under load and gpu is under 70. I think it's a sound issue b/c when I reboot it says detect new multimedia device and wants to install drivers when the software for the X-FI is installed BUT it's from the previous install.

Turn all the lighting & shadow settings to low and you'll see a dramatic rise in performance. You'll also see your opponents better. I have 2 7900s and its not all peaches and sunshine for me either.

hungryduck said:
bf2 just wasn't made to run well....
QFT

EAX is a killer for performance in BF2. Turn sound down to medium, and turn off dynamic lights and shadows. They look like crap anyway... That should help :)

I disagree about dynamic lights and shadows looking like crap. You can see the shadow of a guy reflected by light on the ground as he moves, and shadows will project for somethng as complex as a chain link fence on the ground. They are pretty amazing IMO.

Hell, I have a 6800 GT and I run dynamic lights and shadows at medium as well as textures and texture filtering. Everything else is at high with 2x aa at 1280x960 100hz. I get great framerates and super smooth gameplay.

I also have an Audigy 2 and have no problems with high audio settings using EAX. If you have an Audigy 2 or better and you are turning your quality down you are doing something wrong.

If you have a 7900 and you have to turn the dynamics down to low to get good framerates you are doing something wrong.

One setting that may seem to affect graphics performance is the connection setting. Make sure it is cable/dsl and not lan/t1. Having it set incorrectly can make things pretty jittery.

hungryduck said:
bf2 just wasn't made to run well....

so right

tho i run vanilla bf2 with everything maxed out ... but special forces is another story...

ive come to the conclusion that bf2 sucks. throw it away and play some 1942 or even vietnam.

I run all medium settings (I play on 64 man servers so i rather be 100% SURE i don't get low fps at BAD times!) with EAX on and it works great on my Audigy 2 ZS! :D I recall thinking about buying a X-FI but checking around it seemed that the X-FI actually dropped frames for some reason versus other EAX cards! So maybe its the sound card in your case since turning off EAX helps in your situation! ;)

JustinSane said:
ive come to the conclusion that bf2 sucks. throw it away and play some 1942 or even vietnam.

are you retarded justin? vietnam?

we should play tonight for old time sake :p

bf2 runs fine and dandy for me? :p (16x12, 4xaa hq) even when i was running just 1 7800gtx 512 :cool:

so if u enable eax fps goes to hell? :confused:

Runs fine here, and I have sound quality set to ultra with EAX on. I think a lot of it has to do with RAM. Also, I noticed spyware has a huge effect on this games performance. Try running spybot/ad-aware before you run the game....works for me atleast.

I played at 2x AA 1600x1200 everything on/high with my 7800 GT.

I haven't tried with shadows off, but I've found them helpful so far. It's very handy to see someones shadow cast from a rooftop or around a corner.

Why should he turn his shadows/lighting to medium? I haven't noticed any performance problems with them on high, and the 7900GTX is about on par with the X1900XTX

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Why should he turn his shadows/lighting to medium? I haven't noticed any performance problems with them on high, and the 7900GTX is about on par with the X1900XTX

Even with my 7800 Go GTX, I will notice a 10-15% improvement with shadows/lighting on medium. Plus, you can't really tell the difference between High and Medium settings. Read this guide for more info.

Back