BF2 questions before I get it

sparks

2[H]4U
I play AA, medal of honor and DF.

All my team just bought BF2. BUT this summer I tried the demo and
was not impressed. it looks just like DF. Tanks are too damn powerfull.
Helos are crazy 2 hits to disable. WTF
weapons are inaccurate as heck.

Have any of these issues been changed now so that it is more fun...?

Hacks....a lot ?????

thanks big time for info

ps anyone seen it cheap anywhere ?

sparks

only reason the demo sucked is because, well, Gulf of Oman is NOTHING compared to the other maps.

I think the game is awesome now that the new 1.03 patch is out.

Tanks are soposed to be powerful, their tanks :rolleyes:

I really dont think if you didnt like the demo you will like the full game much. The latest patch did fix and tweak some things but it was not major. Tanks are the same and they were not that powerful to begin with, 3 rockets can take them out. Hacks...cant say I notice any and the ranks have been lowerd so you can open new classes of weapons if you found one not accurate enough. Also whats DF?

Agree ^

If you didn't like the Demo, you won't like the game. I'd say you should pass on it. One less person on these forums complaining about what a horrible game it is.

Rank is nice, but dont play for rank. You will really only be comparing stats among your friends/team/clan.

Other then rank hacks I think the game is pretty secure, but Im no expert. Punkbuster helped '42 a lot and it seems to still work.

Tanks are powerful. A powerful magnet for every engineer, spec-ops, and anti-tank kit. ;) Last I checked, I've logged 50+ hours in armor, and it is no cake walk. I have dueled with a lot of guys in those stupid red berets...

DF is delta force ....black hawk down ...and newer versions of it.

I should not have said that tanks were tooo powerfull...but there were tooo many of them
in the demo...and I liked the smallish maps.

I purchased an tried bf1942 when it was first released and in multiplayer I did NOT like the BIG maps at all..but that was just me. I traded it to a friend for medal of honor and its expansion and never looked back..for run and gun its the best with its small maps.

accuracy wise the demo had the worst shooting guns I have ever seen in an online game.

well last night all my buds (who purchased the game over the weekend) upgraded it to 1.3 I will also listen to their input.

thanks to all of you here and glad to hear that there is not much hacking going on.

sparks

I actually disagree with not liking the demo means not liking the game. Funny thing is, I was never really partial to the BF series at all. Didn't really like it. Played the demo, and I wasn't impressed. However, I went out and bought the game and couldn't be happier. I like it a lot, and often play it more then CS:S. The game does have it's quirks like people that spawn camp and base rape, but I take it all in stride because it's a great game all around and I like it. It's your call if you want to risk trying it out though. Anyhow, just my 2 cents. :D

I Know this is probably a stupid Question..

Is there a Single Player component to BF2?

TheBluePill said:
I Know this is probably a stupid Question..

Is there a Single Player component to BF2?

Kinda... You just play "multi-player" with bots. Pretty much useless except for practice reasons. There is no story line or cut scenes or anything. :)

If you think that BF2's tanks are too powerful, then you shouldn't buy the game. A good squad can take down tanks and APCs quite handily, I almost always play Spec Ops and usually get the AT kit in my group to start shooting at the enemy armor. All the while I creep up from behind or the side and blow the bastard to smitherenes.

sparks said:

I should not have said that tanks were tooo powerfull...but there were tooo many of them

I purchased an tried bf1942 when it was first released and in multiplayer I did NOT like the BIG maps at all..but that was just me. I traded it to a friend for medal of honor and its expansion and never looked back..for run and gun its the best with its small maps.

accuracy wise the demo had the worst shooting guns I have ever seen in an online game.

well last night all my buds (who purchased the game over the weekend) upgraded it to 1.3 I will also listen to their input.

thanks to all of you here and glad to hear that there is not much hacking going on.

sparks

I like the big maps in the game. That's it's strongest feature. The feel of fighting a larger war. I wish even that they were bigger, for the jets to be able to fly futher. I also wish they could fly higher.

I don't know what settings you ran it at, but it looks a whole lot better than Black Hawk Down.

sparks said:

sparks

You can set the server browser to limit the list to servers running smaller maps. Every map scales to suite 16, 32, and 64 players by limiting the playable area and re-arranging the flag positions. Just set it to show you only the 16 and 32 player maps - it will limit the number of tanks and aircraft in the game.

Also, it sounds like you're an infantry kind of guy so you'd probably enjoy the city maps more then the bigger Chinese maps. There are a lot of servers that only play the city maps (Strike at Karkand, Mashtuur City, Sharqi Peninsula), you'll have fun in them.

I didn't like the demo much either, got the game free with my vid card and I'm not really liking the full game much either. All the things you mentioned, accuracy of the weapons and I just hate that I have to shoot a person 10 times only to have them wobble from the bullet hits like they're some kind of stuffed doll. The random cone of fire is questionable as well. It's all comical like a monty python sketch but unlike BF1942 it just doesn't hold my attention very long.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Kinda... You just play "multi-player" with bots. Pretty much useless except for practice reasons. There is no story line or cut scenes or anything. :)

Ah, That is what turned me off on Quake 3.. Although I did like UT 2k4.. So I guess its a tossup.. Might just have to try it out.

I think you should just buy and start plaing Joint Ops. Its made by the delta force people, then again the maps are huge...

I thought the demo sucked, ... but I bought the retail version of BF2 anyway, on the hopes it would be better. I was severly disapointed and BF2 has to be my number one wasted purchase. In my opinion the game flat out sucked.

Maybe you should wait for the up coming Expansion for BF2, Special Forces. It focuses on smaller city maps with less large vehicles (tanks, jets, apcs) and more civilan type people movers (jeeps, forklifts, sedans, jetskis). It will also include night vision things like grappling hooks.

Yes, you do not sound like you will enjoy BF2.

If you liked Call of Duty (COD), Medal of Honor, Delta Force, CS or Source for its small map tight battle ground type gameplay, that is not what you always get in BF2. If you like vehicle play, with large numbers to gain ground in a battle type environment, then you will like BF2. It really does play better than Battlefield Vietnam, but closer to the original Battlefield 1942, just faster due to the better weapons, and vehicles. However, if you think you can really aim a gun accurately after running around and jumping over a wall... Sure...

This game is based on larger scale team play. Just look at the Advanced Tactical program add-on. It is built for a good strategic General to give squads aid to take a territory within the game. Being in a squad that has medics, engineers, special-ops, and assault class players makes the game more ground based. Being in a squad of snipers may make the game boring for some. Being in a squad of Tankers and helis would encourage a more vehicular game.

I think you will like the add-on special forces, but the current game does not seem to be to your style. I for one really enjoy the current game. Lots of facets of other games, with the ability to really get into the strategy of a particular battle. Many of the games like COD/MOHAA/DF/CS:SOURCE/Red Orchestra/Day of Defeat don't get into other aspects of a battle, just the on ground combat. I for one like BF2.

"accuracy wise the demo had the worst shooting guns I have ever seen in an online game" ... i agree with you on that one ... there is no rime or reason why your shot goes left or right ... random ...

Each gun's accuracy is based on the statistical principle of Standard Deviation. Basically, the deviation rate describes the radius at the bottom of the cone of probability which represents where a bullet will hit. The tip of the cone is at the barrel of the gun and the bottom of the cone is at the maximum range of the gun. This is an elegant way of dealing with distance and time, rather than having unrealistic Q3 Railgun type physics. Obviously it would be impossible for the server to calculate wind direction and drag coefficients in realtime for every single bullet, so this is a realistic way of creating the same effect.

You can increase your accuracy by firing in bursts because the deviation rates increase with the amount of time you hold the trigger down. Besides having different guns offer different deviations, BF2 also tightens up the cones as you go from running -> walking -> standing -> crouching -> prone. Look at the Support gun, for example. Its pretty much useless while you're walking, but is one of the most accurate guns in the game if you're laying prone.

Tedium said:
I wouldn't count on that.

to be honest ive NEVER seen a hacker in Bf2, but theres no doubt that someone out there is using them. there is for every damn game out there.

i never see hackers, but my clan and i get called hackers an awful lot. it seems pubbers dont like getting killed by the same people and just cry hacker alot. so if you like pubbing and are the slightest bit good prepare for some whining 2 year olds they populate most servers. :eek:

"just make sure you ss everytime you get called a hacker so you can make your own im so leet thread lol!" jk but ss are always nice to save for memorys sake. :D

SilverMK3 said:
Each gun's accuracy is based on the statistical principle of Standard Deviation. Basically, the deviation rate describes the radius at the bottom of the cone of probability which represents where a bullet will hit. The tip of the cone is at the barrel of the gun and the bottom of the cone is at the maximum range of the gun. This is an elegant way of dealing with distance and time, rather than having unrealistic Q3 Railgun type physics. Obviously it would be impossible for the server to calculate wind direction and drag coefficients in realtime for every single bullet, so this is a realistic way of creating the same effect.

You can increase your accuracy by firing in bursts because the deviation rates increase with the amount of time you hold the trigger down. Besides having different guns offer different deviations, BF2 also tightens up the cones as you go from running -> walking -> standing -> crouching -> prone. Look at the Support gun, for example. Its pretty much useless while you're walking, but is one of the most accurate guns in the game if you're laying prone.

QFT! QFT!

This is the best explanation I've heard yet of the accuracy physics in BF2. I don't know if this is from Dice's mouth, but I'm convinced. :)

Also... Why all the whining about the accuracy? We're ALL playing the same game with the same physics... so... deal with it!

BF2 is a great game, what you'll find is a game suitible for high amounts of teamwork as well as a game that has some issues to be tweaked, but overall provides a very fun gameplay. As far as the accuracy of the game in terms of guns and the likes. I think BF2 has one of the best gun accuracy engines out there. Truth is guns are laser beams and BF2 makes room for a lot of tactics based on the fact that guns aren't laser beams... FUN FUN

I havn't played a full game (I've played demos) since UT2004, still play it, but I went out and bought this game cause it's great. Hope that helps!

WhyYouLoveMe said:
QFT! QFT!

This is the best explanation I've heard yet of the accuracy physics in BF2. I don't know if this is from Dice's mouth, but I'm convinced. :)

Also... Why all the whining about the accuracy? We're ALL playing the same game with the same physics... so... deal with it!

Hehe, thanks.
No, its not from Dice's mouth. I use standard deviation all the time at work and saw that bf2s.com has a list of all of the unlocks and their standard deviations.

Since you have several friends with the game, I guess my only suggestion is that you spend some time on their risg with the 1.03-patched game online. That's the only way you're really going to know if you like it or not. For me, I can't decide if I like it yet or not.

Back