BF2 locks up from 5-10mins in

poison123

Limp Gawd
So I just moved over to a Opty 165 from a X2 4200. About 5-10mins into the game every time it hardlocks my system. I've updated the Bios on my Expert board, I'm running the newest drivers for the board and my 7800gtx. I've prime tested both cores out to 26hours, and I've Memtested my ram (G.Skill HZ DDR500 2x1gigs) out to 24 hours with out any errors. I'm also running the AMD 64 Fix Driver and the Microsoft dualcore hotfix.

I've got no damn clue at this point, nothing is overclocked. Anyone got any suggestions?

Sounds like a heat issue to me. Perhaps check the HSF on the video card and CPU. Also think about removing them both, placing some fresh paste down, and reseating.

You might want to check out the event viewer as well to see what was documented.

I thought about a heat issue too. I did reseat and repaste everything still the same. Actually it doesn't crash using 3dmark6. This has got me stumped.

I'm starting to think it might be the PS....just doesn't make sense that this started going from a x2 4200 to a operton 165.

And the survey says.....bad opteron proc. I threw back in my x2 4200 and it worked perfect again. Oh well

do u run on one core or two in BF2? do you know to change the affinity to one core?

Yes, I've tried everything. All the driver fixes, setting the core manually, I tried everything. I popped the X2 back in and it just worked. Its just weird, the opty would be prime stable 24 hours straight, but craps out whenever a game is played for some reason.

It's possible that it's the PSU, i've had very strange problems due to PSUs.. for example an old Enermax I had, would reboot every 33 minutes (on the nose). Changed the PSU solved my issue.

*shrugs* like is said in the past couple of posts i swapped back in the x2 and the machine started working perfect again. Oh well, someone had to get a bad core from monarch eventually on the 0608's or 0610's.

I had a strange incident a few weeks ago with BF2, was getting bsod's and the event viewer was pointing to ram or vid card. Needless to say, I uninstalled/reinstalled BF2 and every last error has not been present since.

Back