BF2 is kicking my $&%@!!

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Installed BF2

Installed full patch 1.4

Installed full patch 1.5

When I click on BF2 to play the screen goes black like it's about to load but then it goes back to the desktop. I am using Vista and need help. :mad:

Change the shortcut's command line variable "+fullscreen 1" to "+fullscreen 0" and it'll run in windowed mode so that you can get a better idea of what's going on.

Also, http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_3.html

I had an issue where my Dell U2410 would flicker off and back on while the game changed the desktop resolution to 800x600 temporarily whenever it loaded even though it was set to run at 1920x1200. The only way I was able to fix that was to add the force widescreen variable to the shortcuts ("+szx 1920 +szy 1200").

I changed the fullscreen to 1 from 0 and still didn't work. I'm uinstalling it right now and will reinstall.
Do I have to reinstall patch 1.4 and 1.5 after reinstalling the game?

Yes, because you're patching the game. If you remove the game, you remove all subsequent patches. Did the fullscreen variable at least provide you with any sort of error?

find the BF2 cache folder and delete the whole thing. If that doesn't work, try rolling back your graphics driver.

Don't feel bad I'm actually playing the game and it's still kicking my ass >__<

How do I find the cache folder?

Go to the link I provided up above. It covers how to clear the cache in detail.

Actually, here:

Clearing Shader Optimizations: When you change the graphical settings or install a new patch, BF2 attempts to optimize the shaders used in the game for the best performance on your particular hardware. These optimized files are stored in your \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\ directory in XP or \[username]\Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\ in Vista. If you've changed your settings several times, I recommend you finalize your changes, close BF2, go to the above directory and delete everything under the \cache\ directory. The next time you start the game and play single or multiplayer, your shaders will be optimized again. Close BF2 one more time, defragment your hard drive, and now things should be much smoother and load much faster the next time you go to play BF2.

Dont you have to run as admin right or something like that?

Right click, run as admin or in properties.

Dont you have to run as admin right or something like that?

Right click, run as admin or in properties.

Yeah, that too. If you have UAC enabled in Vista it can create some problems. So make sure you right-click and run as administrator when you install the patches.

How do I find the cache folder?

Been a while, but i think i remember it being in My documents inside a "mods" root folder. Just delete the whole folder. It will create a new one the next time it starts up.

My BF2 folder seems to have only 2 folders in it:

dmp
profiles

they don't contain the info that's listed in the tweak guide:
[username]\Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\

I ran into a similiar problem quite some time ago with XP. The game would start up and all I'd get was a black screen. It's been a while, but I seem to remember fixing it by switching to an older set of video card drivers.

How do I switch to an older set of video card drivers? I've never done this.

Are you installing 1.4 or 1.41? 1.41 was the last patch before 1.5 and should be the one you're installing first, not 1.4.

Are you installing 1.4 or 1.41? 1.41 was the last patch before 1.5 and should be the one you're installing first, not 1.4.

IIRC, this is what you're supposed to do here. Humongous Pain in the Ass (FU DICE/EA for making 1.5 incremental only), but hopefully it will solve your problem.

I did 1.41 full and then 1.5 full on Win 7 x64 with UAC off (at the time, it's on now after reading more about it) and have no problems. I think I got my files off of BigDownload.

BF2_Patch_1.41.exe
CRC32: 87F3AD7A
MD5: 2D927E2FED9C349F99DD617ABFCA12E2
SHA-1: 4956F67DBE8873D20F40F87E051F08170420E164
http://www.bigdownload.com/games/battlefield-2/pc/battlefield-2-141-patch/

BF2_Patch_1.50.exe
CRC32: 39174307
MD5: 513A415DBCA69F995E866A9DC7CBD305
SHA-1: 578E66B5695723CE375F52BEF780D853220734CC
http://www.bigdownload.com/games/battlefield-2/pc/battlefield-2-v15-patch/

reinstalled BF2, reinstalled full patch 1.41 and 1.50, still does not work. When I double click the icon it goes black like it's loading and then goes back to desktop.

I may be really wrong about this but i thougth in order to go up to 1.5 you had to have Special Forces?

Might be a longshot, but this is what worked for me...Go into your device manager and disable onboard sound if you have another soundcard installed.

Just give up. I have run into this before. It worked the next time I did a REFORMAT. Nothing else worked. Sorry. Even a registry edit did not help. Try the reg edit if you haven't yet. That actually did work twice before. I have re-installed bf2 too many damn times. Will not do it again.

got something you could try...

in the windows control panel - sound go into the properties. Under advanced change the default format to anything 44100 or under. some games dont like 48000

Game still doesn't work fellas. This is a brand new PC so I can't roll back the video card and the soundcard is the one that came with the PC.

I'm bumping this up for more advice.

He's not saying rollback to another device. He means reinstall an older version of your drivers. From the top, what video card and sound card are you using?

Ah, I know what the issue is. :) I had the exact same problem last year until I figured out that the game was trying to launch with the wrong refresh rate, which crashes straight back to the desktop without any error messages. Browse to \Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default (as well as \Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001, if present) and open the Video.con file in Notepad. Edit the VideoSettings.setResolution line to something such as 800x600@60Hz. Save and launch Battlefield 2, it should do the trick! :D

-R

Installed BF2

Installed full patch 1.4

Installed full patch 1.5

When I click on BF2 to play the screen goes black like it's about to load but then it goes back to the desktop. I am using Vista and need help. :mad:

there is a 1.41 patch before 1.5 i think.

sounds like you have aero turned on? With Windows 7 I had to set it that when i run BF2 it turns off aero. I did not have this issues with Vista, only on Windows 7.

Bump. I am trying to play BF2 and BF2142 on Windows 7 64-bit and can't get it to work. Both load for a second and then fall back to the desktop.

UAC off
Tried Compat mode
Tried basic mode (no aero)

Any ideas?

What's funny is that CSS plays fine. The game that refuses to die.

Ah, I know what the issue is. :) I had the exact same problem last year until I figured out that the game was trying to launch with the wrong refresh rate, which crashes straight back to the desktop without any error messages. Browse to \Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default (as well as \Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001, if present) and open the Video.con file in Notepad. Edit the VideoSettings.setResolution line to something such as 800x600@60Hz. Save and launch Battlefield 2, it should do the trick! :D

-R

Mine already says 800x600@60

Make sure Compatibility Mode is turned off. I had the same symptoms as you until I turned off Compatibility Mode through shortcut. You may look into your soundcard being the culprit.

Last edited:
Welcome to BF2!

This is my favorite online FPS EVER! But this game is the buggiest damn game I've ever seen. If you don't patch it in the right order along with the expansion, have a relatively clean install of Windows, and do the DICE (rain) dance just right while installing it, it's gonna crash to desktop constantly for no valid reason whatsoever and give you no indication of why it does it.

My latest fiasco of playing it on Win7 a couple months ago involved me disabling SLi and I think I had to force it to do 60 hz in the video.con file in the games profile folder it puts in your "documents" folder. In my instance though, it would ONLY crash while joining an online game. As soon as my kit selection screen came up, it'd CTD with no error (the only way it crashes, right?).

GL! You'll need it.

resolution and refreshrate are big killers of that game

I think you are right. On my two Win 7 64-bit machines with exact parts:

1. PC to Dell S2409W = works like a charm

2. PC to Onkyo Receiver to Projector = Game will not launch

Oh well, I tried every trick on the net last night and it won't load. I get the renxxxx.dll driver failure every time. What's funny is that CSS, the game that refuses to die, plays perfect on my projector. Too funny.

Punkbuster A and B are kicking my #$(%*. Either A or B is the problem (forgot) and I've updated punkbuster several times to the current version. Firewall is allowing the program to go through. I gave up.

Try plugging a microphone into the mic port. I know this sounds stupid, but i have had games not want to load because i did not have a mic plugged in.

Try the microphone randomly working when it wants to with BF2. That's my only problem with my BF2 installation under Win 7 Pro x64. X-Fi titanium sound card too.

I think you are right. On my two Win 7 64-bit machines with exact parts:

1. PC to Dell S2409W = works like a charm

2. PC to Onkyo Receiver to Projector = Game will not launch

Oh well, I tried every trick on the net last night and it won't load. I get the renxxxx.dll driver failure every time. What's funny is that CSS, the game that refuses to die, plays perfect on my projector. Too funny.

Ok, I grabbed the S2409W and plugged it in the machine connected to my projector. Both games booted like the other machine did. I went into both games and changed the resolution to match my projector. I then unplugged the monitor and replugged in my projector. The good: BF2142 works, yea!!!. The bad: BF2 still will not boot. Both games have the same tweaks noted above, but for some reason BF2 does not like the refresh rate of my projector.

What's funny is I can unplug the projector and plug in the S2409W and BF2 boots instantly. Unplug it and replug in the projector and the game won't boot.

However, when typing this what I should try is to boot the game with the S2409W and while the game is running, switch the plug over to the projector. Hmm.

Ok, I grabbed the S2409W and plugged it in the machine connected to my projector. Both games booted like the other machine did. I went into both games and changed the resolution to match my projector. I then unplugged the monitor and replugged in my projector. The good: BF2142 works, yea!!!. The bad: BF2 still will not boot. Both games have the same tweaks noted above, but for some reason BF2 does not like the refresh rate of my projector.

What's funny is I can unplug the projector and plug in the S2409W and BF2 boots instantly. Unplug it and replug in the projector and the game won't boot.

However, when typing this what I should try is to boot the game with the S2409W and while the game is running, switch the plug over to the projector. Hmm.

I did the switch when the game was running and it worked. However, once I left the game I could not relaunch it even after the shaders and such were set for the projector.

What's odd is that BF2142 loads fine. I wonder if BF2 has some refresh rate tweak that BF2142 does not. Ugh.

Back