BF2 Demo 1st Impressions - Won't be buying

vchip

n00b
I was a BIG BF1942/DC Mod fan and i was expecting BF2 to be DC on steriods

WRONG...

Where do I start...

The Menu GUI is simply intolerable, feels like everything is in slow motion, you really have to experience it to see how bad it is.

But that I could deal with that, the real problems start when you get in the game.

Major Malfunction #1.

Your team members are aways "blue", dosen't matter if you are playing on
the MEC side or US. The enemy is always red. This drives me insane.
WTF didn't they give each side its own color? I ended up TKing my own guys
1/2 the time while playing on the MEC side because I was so used to
the USA always being the blue guys. I hate this and this alone would just
about have been reason enough for me to not buy the game.

Major Malfunction #2

Remember the tanks in BF1942? Not the DC Mod, just plan BF1942? Remember how slow and sluggish they were to drive? Well get ready for that experience all over again in
BF2. Compared to DC, the tanks in BF2 drive like slugs.

Major Malfunction #3

The choppers and planes. No where near the quality of control in DC. What's with the
gray laser site for weapons guy in one of the planes? Totally impossible to hit anything
with it and it does not seem to guide anything?

Major Malfunction #4.

No zoom on sniper scope? Maybe there is and I just can't find it. Seems pretty much impossible to hit a moving target no matter how you lead it. No dirt "puffs" to show you where you are hitting at any distance.

Major Malfunction #5

Graphics. Remember Deltaforce by Novalogic? The grass and trees kinda has
that "look" to them. Some of the graphics is ok but it's not anything that is going to
blow you away. I was expecting more.

Major Malfunction #6

Lots of hills that look like you should be able to run up you can't. The game interprets them as "too steep".

Major Malfunction #7

The entire game just feels like it's in slow motion. Just like BF1942 felt like it was
in slow motion compared to DC.

Major Malfunction #8

Load times are horrible and any change to your video settings and game goes thru some sort of analysis process that takes 2 minutes.

Overall rating 5 out of 10.

Have you ever driven a tank? Just exactly how fast do you think a hunk of armor and weaponry weighing in at over 70tons is supposed to move? The M1 Abrams can hit 70mph yes...but that's IN A STRAIGHT LINE - not a slalom course or city streets. And it doesn't accelerate like a Ducati or stop on a dime either.

Ever fire one of those camera guided missiles in real life? Ever see a missile in mid-flight? They don't exactly go slow and aren't super-maneuverable. Last time I checked, the hellfire missile travels at Mach 1.3...and that doesn't give much reaction time when you're within sight distance of a target. And fwiw, I've taken out enemy choppers and land vehicles with them in the game. You need to have a decent pilot - it makes all the difference in the world.

Sniper scope...I agree on.

Graphics...I think they're astounding. Ever see them in 1600x1200 high detail with AA/AF? I see absolutely nothing wrong...looks great to me.

I haven't had the hills problem though...but anything more than 40 degrees angle is hard sto scale when you're loaded with combat equipment.

As far as your slow motion comments...I have no idea what you mean. The game plays PLENTY fast for everyone I've spoken to about it. Are you playing on servers that have lag? Too low FPS?

I also agree with the video settings and shader optimization stuff. But I also have 1.5gb ram...so they're not bad...a minute at most.

A lot of your points sounds like your computer cannt handle it. I havent played but watched my friend play and it graphics were pretty damn nice.

nst6563 said:
Have you ever driven a tank? Just exactly how fast do you think a hunk of armor and weaponry weighing in at over 70tons is supposed to move? The M1 Abrams can hit 70mph yes...but that's IN A STRAIGHT LINE - not a slalom course or city streets. And it doesn't accelerate like a Ducati or stop on a dime either.

Ever fire one of those camera guided missiles in real life? Ever see a missile in mid-flight? They don't exactly go slow and aren't super-maneuverable. Last time I checked, the hellfire missile travels at Mach 1.3...and that doesn't give much reaction time when you're within sight distance of a target. And fwiw, I've taken out enemy choppers and land vehicles with them in the game. You need to have a decent pilot - it makes all the difference in the world.

Graphics...I think they're astounding. Ever see them in 1600x1200 high detail with AA/AF? I see absolutely nothing wrong...looks great to me.

I haven't had the hills problem though...but anything more than 40 degrees angle is hard sto scale when you're loaded with combat equipment.

As far as your slow motion comments...I have no idea what you mean. The game plays PLENTY fast for everyone I've spoken to about it. Are you playing on servers that have lag? Too low FPS?

I also agree with the video settings and shader optimization stuff. But I also have 1.5gb ram...so they're not bad...a minute at most.
Realism does not a good video game make.

I personally think it's a great move to make your enemy always show up red. This way you know that red is always enemy no matter what team you are on. Very easy to adapt to.

I've had quite a few times playing BF1942 when after playing axis for an hour or so that when I switched to allies I would get confused and shoot at team mates.

So, since you couldn't figure out that the enemy was always red, you decided not to buy the game? You have some logical and good points, but that first "major malfunction" has got to be one of the most idiotic things I have ever read.

dmonkey said:
So, since you couldn't figure out that the enemy was always red, you decided not to buy the game? You have some logical and good points, but that first "major malfunction" has got to be one of the most idiotic things I have ever read.

We took a bit to figure that out at the LAN we had right after the Demo... it's just somethign to rememember and isn't all that bad. Yah, we ended up with a lot of TKing before we completely figured it out.. not that we TK in the first place.. ever... (riiiiiight)

Peace,
Tim

Craftish said:

It all boils down to personal opinion.

BF2 needs to be even more realistic in that it doesn't take two shots from the US .50cal sniper rifle to kill someone (I don't care who you are...something that can blow a hole clean through most engine blocks and manhole covers isn't going to leave you standing in a position to fire back). Or that a head-shot is a head-shot...there's no fighting back when your brains are missing.

I prefer realism over "arcade-ism". Others prefer the opposite.

vchip said:
Your team members are aways "blue", dosen't matter if you are playing on
the MEC side or US. The enemy is always red. This drives me insane.
WTF didn't they give each side its own color? I ended up TKing my own guys
1/2 the time while playing on the MEC side because I was so used to
the USA always being the blue guys. I hate this and this alone would just
about have been reason enough for me to not buy the game.
You must not play WoW. If you did, you'd be very conditioned to the "red = dead" mentality. Is it really that hard to just shoot at people with red over their names all the time?

nst6563 said:
It all boils down to personal opinion.

BF2 needs to be even more realistic in that it doesn't take two shots from the US .50cal sniper rifle to kill someone (I don't care who you are...something that can blow a hole clean through most engine blocks and manhole covers isn't going to leave you standing in a position to fire back). Or that a head-shot is a head-shot...there's no fighting back when your brains are missing.

I prefer realism over "arcade-ism". Others prefer the opposite.
Most people do not prefer realism and realistic changes will never be made to BF2.

nst6563 said:

I agree. The spec ops guy can zoom in. I do it all the time. I've also been able to do it with the assault guy and the anti-tank guy. The primary weapon and even the pistols all zoom. I haven't played with the sniper really so I can't speak to how he operates.

Yeah, I agree on the BS of the graphics optimizations. As far as the game goes, I don't think it should have UT speeds. I think its great the way it is. As far as the controls for the aircraft, I find that there is a steep learning curve to them, but they are the best controls so far out of the BF series. I like flying alot. Whereas in BF1942 I never flew. I hated it.

My level load times are decent. With 1GB of ram and a Raptor for my C:\ drive. I also agree with the above post about the pilot making all the difference. I flew with a good pilot yesterday, I was the gunner in the chopper and it was like night and day compared to my previous experiences with pilots before. The craft was nice and steady and I racked up the kills nicely.

the whole red\blue player thing is for multiplayer when changing teams and whatnot, that way when autobalancing kicks in you still go after the red... how hard can it be...

note to self "shoot red names"
dammit shot another blue.. stupid note...

Craftish said:
you sound liek Yoda, lol

Ill be honest, it sounds like, you computer cant run the game

-Team members always Blue, why is this a problem, it rox once you get used to it.

-Tanks? Vehicles move like they should (hummers seem a tad slow) and act like they should, and people are not marathon runners, they feel like a standard GI with 75lbs of gear on his back.

-I cant belive you really thin DC even had the planes and choppers right? Yea you may have been used to it and know how to fly, but everything was so “arcade” like. The choppers in DC were so floatey, its not the mods fault the game didn’t not have the physics so hellies. But anyway, BF2 air vehicles are about a close as realistic is going to get without being a “SIM” DC sucks AIR sucks really bad always has..

-Snipers? I don’t know about it, My rifel seems to work fine? I get kills easy wit hit? And I see all kinds of dirt puffs, again you system probably can take it…

-Hill you can’t climb? Id like to see you in a 75lb pack scaling hills after you just ran 2 miles to get to it… go around, get in a buggy….. Maybe the map wasn’t designed for you to go that way…

“Load times are horrible and any change to your video settings and game goes thru some sort of analysis process that takes 2 minutes.”

-Get a new machine!
-ohh no not 2 mins… I guess you don’t remember when BF1942 just came out, I played that game since the closed BETA I was part of, and when it first came out with the current hardware, it was slow as shit to..

All and all, dont buy it, no sweat of my back, that one less cry baby on the servers, ill go play it with the other 30,000 people that dont seem to agree with you.

JL_Audio_User said:
Hey Yoda,

Since were all not members of the Jedi council maybe you should speak english.

HAHA, I called it first...look above....

I give this game a KICKASS award :) time to go play now PFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT

Wow, after reading that... I bet you are a newbie who is too used to flying around in DC.

Slow motion? WTF are you smoking? And DC doesn't have it? All the games feel the same to me and if I HAD to chose a slower one, I would choose... of course... shitty ass DC.

What? The team colors are fucked up? NO, you are just used to another games colors and are kind of slow on the change of things.

The "click-guided" missle is VERY useful, owns anything it hits and of course isn't REALLY easy to target while moving and such, but still pretty self-explainatory.

And how can you say anything about the graphics? It looks 50 times better than DC.

BF2 > DC by FARRRR. If you don't think so, your computer doesn't handle BF2, or you just suck in general.

P.S : Please don't make another thread.

nst6563 said:

I've driven tanks (Cavalry Scout, US Army '83-'86; 3/34 Armored Batallion; Erlangen, W. Germany); both the M1 and its crapola predecessor the M60A1. For a 70+ ton vehicle, the M1 is surprisingly manuverable.

But though it's "capable" of going 70mph, you can't actually go that fast. It's max speed was limited by a governor to something like 45mph. And there were severe penalties for both the driver and tank commander for disabling the governor and exceeding the max speed.

Cross country the most you could do was something like 30mph. The suspension was good -- for a tank -- but anything more than 20 mph or so would still rattle the teeth in your head. And an extended overland trip at speed would leave your back and tailbone sore for hours.

They're fast for tanks, but cars they ain't. The guy's expecting too much from a 150000 lb vehicle with a 1500hp engine.

Just random info:

An abrams can pretty much stop on a time. I've watched the history channel enough to memorize that :(

Something else that people have mentioned before: BF2 IS NOT DESERT COMBAT. Quit saying that it's worse because it's different than DC. It's an entirely different game. Do people say that Quake 3 sucks because it doesn't have the exact same models (or guns, maps, whatever) as Quake 2? No.

Luxor said:
BF2 > DC by FARRRR. If you don't think so, your computer doesn't handle BF2, or you just suck in general.

DC has better gameplay, physics, and superior maps.

I'll leave it to DICE to fix BF2's netcode and the mod community to make a good game out of it, because what's there leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd personally like to see a mode of conquest where you can only take one flag at a time, UT2004 onslaught style, so it forces people to fight in teams instead of spreading out all over the damned place. If you've played commander, you know how hard it is to tell people in public games where to go and when... most don't listen, the few that do lone it and get killed because the enemy is all over the damned place... regardless of the warning you give them.

I wish as commander i could demote the people who never listen to me (and i don't generally order them unless i have to) and let someone else into squad leader. Or kick them out of their squad altogether. Something to reprimand them except "you are a miserable excuse for a squad!" ect ect. After ignoring me and orders a few thousand times, there just needs to be a real kicker.

I'd also like a real coop, a real sp, with full options and maps.

Thats mainly what i want heh.

Didn't know the stopping power of the abrams was that good. It's been a loooong time since I've seen one (in action) or even looked at any info. I'm just going by the fact that it's quite hard to get a 70 ton tank to drive around arcade-style like a hummer or other lighter vehicle...and expecting it to do so is just wrong.

I agree with the coop thing too...off the top of my head, I don't know of any good coops recently besides the Rainbow Six series and Swat4. BF2 would kick ass as a coop.

Vagamus said:
I'd personally like to see a mode of conquest where you can only take one flag at a time, UT2004 onslaught style, so it forces people to fight in teams instead of spreading out all over the damned place.
That would be awful as it would eliminate a lot of the strategy. In one map, I joined when my team was getting slaughtered, but I took a boat to the farthest flag and capped it, and then capped the adjacent flag using the tank I found there. After that, my team proceeded to cap the rest of the flags and push the enemy back. Had I not been able to cap those flags my team would have continued to try to take the most heavily fortified point, only to keep on failing.

nst6563 said:
Didn't know the stopping power of the abrams was that good. It's been a loooong time since I've seen one (in action) or even looked at any info. I'm just going by the fact that it's quite hard to get a 70 ton tank to drive around arcade-style like a hummer or other lighter vehicle...and expecting it to do so is just wrong.

The stopping distance is pretty damned good, even for a 70 ton vehicle. I remember reading a light-hearted Road and Track or Car and Driver test drive of an Abrams a long time ago. IIRC, the reviewer said that the two things that stood out to him the most was the sound and fury of the main gun, and the fact that when you slam the brakes on, you could almost make the tank do a headstand.

Think about it from this perspective, though: in a car your contact patch with the road is four little pieces of rubber about the size of your hand. All your energy is transmitted through those tiny pieces of tire. But in a tank, your contact patch is a metal tread 2' wide and 12' long. It may weigh 70x more than than a car, but it has far more than 70x the contact patch with the road. This = great stopping power.

kick@ss said:
That would be awful as it would eliminate a lot of the strategy. In one map, I joined when my team was getting slaughtered, but I took a boat to the farthest flag and capped it, and then capped the adjacent flag using the tank I found there. After that, my team proceeded to cap the rest of the flags and push the enemy back. Had I not been able to cap those flags my team would have continued to try to take the most heavily fortified point, only to keep on failing.
In One map i played the whole team went their own merry ways and tried to Solo Flag Cap and in under 3 minuets all of them was dead and MEC had all the bases captured

Single handily capturing flags can't stand up to a good 2-3 Man squad defending each flag.

Craftish said:

you Sir are wrong, RavenShield is one of the best coop multiplayer games made, would love to see a sequel that include larger maps + vehicles

JL_Audio_User said:
Damn :(

I gotta learn to post faster :D

Thats what makes me [H]ardness Supreme! lol

j/k...

anywho, on topic, Some peopel will never be happy, so go back and play your 3 year old game...at least if BF1942 witch rox and your not talking about going back to CS lol

Alex A. said:
In One map i played the whole team went their own merry ways and tried to Solo Flag Cap and in under 3 minuets all of them was dead and MEC had all the bases captured

Single handily capturing flags can't stand up to a good 2-3 Man squad defending each flag.
Quality > Quantity. 3 people guarding a flag won't do much if they suck (most people do).

Labrador said:
you Sir are wrong, RavenShield is one of the best coop multiplayer games made, would love to see a sequel that include larger maps + vehicles
While you may like it, a majority of people (which is what really counts) do not find it to be one of the best games made. http://www.csports.net/(1zcy2g45oumtklysdzcyxp55)/TopGames.aspx

Hrm i might not buy this game eather i was not impressed
and i hate their list where it showes servers it's so slow

Wow, a major malfunction of the game is that you couldn't figure out that ENEMIES = RED? Thank God you're not buying the game then, one less n00b for me to play with. :)

Personally I think it's the best BF game to date. The engine is a huge improvement over the sluggishness that was BF1942 and BFV, and the game is actually very fun and tactical this time around

neoreturns said:
Personally I think it's the best BF game to date. The engine is a huge improvement over the sluggishness that was BF1942 and BFV, and the game is actually very fun and tactical this time around

I agree, its the only BF game I've liked.

Labrador said:

I also would love for a sequal or updated Ravenshield series with coop. Even for it's age though, it still looks good with decent maps and is a hell of a lotta fun at a lan.

By far the most bitching about BF 2 is from people that dont get that their 4 year old computer CANT FREAKING PLAY ON HIGH SETTINGS and blame the game instead of realizing they need to upgrade after 4 years.

I got 3+ years of great gaming out of my last build which was a Barton 2500+ and a 9500 Pro both OC'ed, but it barely met the published video card minimum requirements for the game. It was fine for BF1942/Vietnam, but it just was not going to cut it in BF 2. I sold the guts of the machine to a buddy of mine who cant afford better and I'm specing out new guts for the next 3 years now. Going dual core either X2 or P-D, depending on a lot of factors I dont need to get into here.

This goes double for all the GF4Ti owners. TIME TO BUY NEW CARD, YOU SIMPS. TIME MOVES ON, AND SO SHOULD YOU. :mad:

aZn_plyR said:
I give this game a KICKASS award :) time to go play now PFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT

IM RODNEY RENOLDS AND I GIVE EVERYTHING A KICKASS AWARD SO COMPANIES GIVE ME FREE STUFF!!

LoL.. i hate him

btw my comp is barely last gen and i cant run on high textures.. theres something wrong with that.. This game is good except for a few major bugs that can be fixed. Look at how good bf1942 got after the patches.

also, menu is pretty bad i agree :p

And the menu, NOTHING is wrong with it at all. You guys are just dumb fucks OR you're just mad that it runs like ass on your AMD 2000+ with 512 that you bought recently to play HL2(which you also probably bitched about too, saying how shitty it was and such). It shows what comes with each kit and everything. I like it, it's simple, and it's really easy to use. One click on what you want to be, hit enter. Even easier than CS.

QUIT BITCHING ABOUT THINGS YOU DON'T LIKE IN THE GAME, NO ONE CARES AND THEY AREN'T GOING TO CHANGE IT FOR YOU SO JUST SHUT ... THE FUCK... UP!

They made it the way they wanted it. If you don't like it, go learn and make your own game that's better. I'll buy it for sure. But let me tell you right now, I bet you $500,000 you can't. Yes, you, the person reading this right now. The one that posted a whiner thread. Crying.

:rolleyes: :mad:

Luxor said:
And the menu, NOTHING is wrong with it at all. You guys are just dumb fucks OR you're just mad that it runs like ass on your AMD 2000+ with 512 that you bought recently to play HL2(which you also probably bitched about too, saying how shitty it was and such). It shows what comes with each kit and everything. I like it, it's simple, and it's really easy to use. One click on what you want to be, hit enter. Even easier than CS.

QUIT BITCHING ABOUT THINGS YOU DON'T LIKE IN THE GAME, NO ONE CARES AND THEY AREN'T GOING TO CHANGE IT FOR YOU SO JUST SHUT ... THE FUCK... UP!

They made it the way they wanted it. If you don't like it, go learn and make your own game that's better. I'll buy it for sure. But let me tell you right now, I bet you $500,000 you can't. Yes, you, the person reading this right now. The one that posted a whiner thread. Crying.

:rolleyes: :mad:
The menu is slow as hell and my "AMD 2000+ with 512" is actually an A64 3500+ @ 2.7 GHz w/ 2GB of memory. I recently put the extra gig of memory in to try it out in BF2, but it doesn't really seem to do anything at all.

Back