BF2: anyone else hoarding some weapon unlocks?

I'm the Dude man

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got BF2 and SF and I'm sitting on 5 weapon unlocks. I guess I'm holding on to them at this point because I'm thinking that some of the new Euroforces weapons will be unlocks that can be used in BF2 also. It's like I'm worried if I use my unlocks I'll miss out on something cooler just around the corner.

I guess it's also because with the new patch I've been playing more Support class and already have that unlock, but I still tend to fall back to the AT class and I have the DAO already, and everyone says the P90 unlock is useless. Just to put it in perspective, I currently have the DAO, the PKM, the G3, the F2000, and the G36C.

Anyone else hoarding some unlocks? Give me your feedback.

I have all the unlocks except the new sniper and the SF support gun. Support was never for me, so I always unlock it last. What type of player are you? Rambo? Sneaky? Sniper? Heal/Ammo person?

As far as unlocks in EuroForce ..they are for Euroforce ONLY...wont be able to use them elsewhere.

So go ahead and use them...or wait...whichever...

essentially....the weapons you get in Euroforce..are the weapons you get...I dont believe there will be any extra unlocks...something to do with memory usage in game.

You are correct.
According to DICE, they will not add any more unlocks to normal BF2 because of the extra memory it takes up. It would consume too much and lag the game they said.

I thought the newest unlocks were for Euroforces, EA released them and gave everyone 2 unlocks because of the booster.

Maybe Im wrong....hopefully someone has the facts all bookmarked to set me straight.

I'm the Dude said:
I've got BF2 and SF and I'm sitting on 5 weapon unlocks. I guess I'm holding on to them at this point because I'm thinking that some of the new Euroforces weapons will be unlocks that can be used in BF2 also. It's like I'm worried if I use my unlocks I'll miss out on something cooler just around the corner.

I guess it's also because with the new patch I've been playing more Support class and already have that unlock, but I still tend to fall back to the AT class and I have the DAO already, and everyone says the P90 unlock is useless. Just to put it in perspective, I currently have the DAO, the PKM, the G3, the F2000, and the G36C.

Anyone else hoarding some unlocks? Give me your feedback.

Wow! You have unlocked 5 weapons already and can unlock 5 more? How long have you been playing to get to this point? Do you get extra unlocks with the SF expansion?

Just use them and have fun! :) The Euroforce weapon unlocks will not be allowed in the vanilla BF:2.

Starfox said:
Wow! You have unlocked 5 weapons already and can unlock 5 more? How long have you been playing to get to this point? Do you get extra unlocks with the SF expansion?

I played BF2 a TON since it was released, and then tapered off to nothing around a month or more before SF expansion came out. Once SF came out I only played those maps.

I'm at around 17,000 global points.

I think SF owners get extra unlocks somehow, but they might not apply to BF2. I don't have all the in's and outs down about it, but I know when people first played a few rounds of SF they were granted 2 or more unocks immediately. Remember the rank requirements changed too.

SO I guess you do get some extra unlocks by having SF that aren't available to non-owners.

I have the regular BF2 and don't even have 2000 points yet :(

I am jealous of your unlocks.

I've got every unlock. (61,000+ points) I'd say the engineer unlocks were useless to me even though I play a bit of engineer I just use the initial shotgun. The P-90 unlock for the AT kit is almost utterly useless. I use it for a change of pace but not normally. The DAO-12 is where it's at. ;-) The medic unlocks are decent especially after the last major patch because they improved the L85. The support unlock obviously rocks. The PKM is one of the most devastating weapons in the game. The assault unlocks (both the G3 and F2000) are good weapons. I use both when playing assault. The sniper unlocks are also good. The M95 is beastly while the L96 is quicker and has an awesome sound. The spec ops unlocks I think are just equal to the original. They have their place and I don't think there's much advantage.

Oh FYI... This is all IMHO. :D

I guess my next unlock will be the PKM then :)

I have the L85, LOVE IT, and the G36c, regret unlocking it :(

But I would love to get a L96, or is it only available for SF?

Starfox said:
I guess my next unlock will be the PKM then :)

I have the L85, LOVE IT, and the G36c, regret unlocking it :(

But I would love to get a L96, or is it only available for SF?

I think you can unlock the L96 if you don't have SF. Can't confirm that though. (I thought they released the two new unlocks in 1.20)

I really, really LOVE the G36C for the medic kit. When I play medic I almost always use that weapon. I love the accuracy and damage/hit. I think it's more of a personal preference than anything when choosing weapons. (except in the case of the PKM - lol) The AK series are awesome for the medics, too. I'm not a big fan of the M16 'cause it seems to be less accurate than the G36C. I dunno... :D It's all good fun!

Yeah I'm siiting on three. Due to some horrendous previous decisions and my general reluctance to make decisions. :D

Been meaning to dig up an unlock discussion. Sweet.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
I think you can unlock the L96 if you don't have SF. Can't confirm that though. (I thought they released the two new unlocks in 1.20)

I really, really LOVE the G36C for the medic kit. When I play medic I almost always use that weapon. I love the accuracy and damage/hit. I think it's more of a personal preference than anything when choosing weapons. (except in the case of the PKM - lol) The AK series are awesome for the medics, too. I'm not a big fan of the M16 'cause it seems to be less accurate than the G36C. I dunno... :D It's all good fun!

Get your weapons right WhyYou..! The medic unlock is the G36E. The SPec Ops is the G36C. :D

Regarding the PKM, I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but that thing has been de-nerfed to the highest degree possible. I saw a video on totalbf2 forums on putfile. Guy with PKM up on top one of the highest buildings in one of the urban maps. It was ludicrous how accurate and deadly the PKM has become. Like a semi-auto super sniper weapon.

Don't everyone become PKM whores!! (it's already kinda happening somewhat).

I'm the Dude said:
Regarding the PKM, I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but that thing has been de-nerfed to the highest degree possible. I saw a video on totalbf2 forums on putfile. Guy with PKM up on top one of the highest buildings in one of the urban maps. It was ludicrous how accurate and deadly the PKM has become. Like a semi-auto super sniper weapon.

I saw that video, too. A sniper would have more success than the PKM in that scenario. You could also sit up there with any long/medium range weapon and have success. I agree that the PKM may be a bit too powerful but that video just blends circumstances/location/spawn-killing to heighten the sense of the "overpowering" gun. Stick someone up there with an M95/L96/SVD/Type 88 and the same thing would happen.

My bad on the G36s. lol Too many to keep track!

Of the recent two free unlocks, I used one for the AWP, I have my choice of the PKM or the P90 left to unlock. I dont think I'll be making a choice for a while since i dont play those kits very much (since I've already gotten their verteran badges), and I like hearing the drum roll announcement everytime I start up BF2.

Yeah I have seen that one too. A Spec Ops with a SCAR-L could do the same amount of damage from there.

However the PKM is powerful. It can get you from a quick prone and have you dead laying in the grass looking at the sun (or some dudes mug) very quickly.

I am ok at bf2, but I know I can get better. I still think the PKM is a little too powerful and accurate though.

(nick is Chocolatemilk)

kuyaglen said:
Of the recent two free unlocks, I used one for the AWP, I have my choice of the PKM or the P90 left to unlock. I dont think I'll be making a choice for a while since i dont play those kits very much (since I've already gotten their verteran badges), and I like hearing the drum roll announcement everytime I start up BF2.

lol - I love that sound, too. I also love the ranking up sound. If I were you I would unlock the PKM before the P90. The DAO-12 is still the most used weapon in the AT class and the P90 just takes the basic AT machine gun and makes it worse with a red dot for aiming. lol

See, that's another reason I hoard some unlocks because if enough AT people bitch to EA, they will "un-nerf" the P90, and since I like AT I'd hate to use all my unlocks and then find out they turned the P90 into an uberweapon. So someone get bitching! :D

I mean look at the PKM. If someone used all their unlocks because they thought, "man support guns blow," they are bumming now because it's a one man killing machine now.

I'm the Dude said:
See, that's another reason I hoard some unlocks because if enough AT people bitch to EA, they will "un-nerf" the P90, and since I like AT I'd hate to use all my unlocks and then find out they turned the P90 into an uberweapon. So someone get bitching! :D

I mean look at the PKM. If someone used all their unlocks because they thought, "man support guns blow," they are bumming now because it's a one man killing machine now.

You have a very fine point. With that said...

Back in the day... It used to be you bought a game and you played it. You either hated, loved it or somewhere in between. NOW you whine, moan, complain, "suggest" and demand things and the game changes to those who whine the most/loudest. I seriously think that BF2 has become "nerfed" to the lowest common denominator. Look at CS or the UT series. Did those players have enough influence to affect major gameplay changes? No. In BF2, they did. That's wierd, man. I really think we should go back to BF2 1.0 and just fix all the bugs. I don't like the way this patching thing is headed if BF2 is any indication. I think a company should release a game and ONLY fix the bugs and NOT the gameplay. This discussion belongs in a thread by itself but I had to blurt that out.

Ok, so, I still love BF2. :D

Actually some changes they made are really cool. I was on Ghost Town one day and got into the quad AA vehicle. An attack chopper flew by so I could hit it from the rear at say 200 meters or so. I fired for like 2 seconds and the thing erupted. Sweet!! AA guns work! I'm all for that change.

I'm the Dude said:
Actually some changes they made are really cool. I was on Ghost Town one day and got into the quad AA vehicle. An attack chopper flew by so I could hit it from the rear at say 200 meters or so. I fired for like 2 seconds and the thing erupted. Sweet!! AA guns work! I'm all for that change.

That's all fine and good but what if didn't change? You would be in the chopper and said, "I was in the chopper as a gunner and this dude launched AA missles at me but I blew him away before he could get off a second salvo." My point is that we all would have adjusted... we would have played what was good and not played what was bad. That's all. :D I also welcome the AA change but I just think the principle of it kinda sucks. I wish we DID NOT have the power to influence gameplay. Let the chips fall where they may.

I'm the Dude said:

In Des Combat the machine gun was very similar, you could pick people off at incredible range, BUT you had to be skilled at leading and targeting. Also it had to be fired prone and only in 3 shot bursts to be effective at any range. Close in and standing it was easier to hit things then in BF2. Anyway my point is that this wep was devestating in the right hands but I dont think it was by any means the most commonly used wep in game. It comes down to skills and the proper usage. Prone, at range and semi conceled are the best conditions, but how often are you attacking or defending under these conditions in BF2?

WhyYouLoveMe said:
That's all fine and good but what if didn't change? You would be in the chopper and said, "I was in the chopper as a gunner and this dude launched AA missles at me but I blew him away before he could get off a second salvo." My point is that we all would have adjusted... we would have played what was good and not played what was bad. That's all. :D I also welcome the AA change but I just think the principle of it kinda sucks. I wish we DID NOT have the power to influence gameplay. Let the chips fall where they may.

naw, because I prefer to play as a ground pounder. I'm a converted old school FPS player--Quake 2, etc. For example, on Ghost Town the other night, I would only take the transport chopper, basically to bail out of to get somewhere. :D

I HATED the unkillable from the ground choppers before, but I'm not one who complained to EA, that's for sure. I actually think the play dynamics are cool now. The PKM is a beast now though.

urbsnspices said:
In Des Combat the machine gun was very similar, you could pick people off at incredible range, BUT you had to be skilled at leading and targeting. Also it had to be fired prone and only in 3 shot bursts to be effective at any range. Close in and standing it was easier to hit things then in BF2. Anyway my point is that this wep was devestating in the right hands but I dont think it was by any means the most commonly used wep in game. It comes down to skills and the proper usage. Prone, at range and semi conceled are the best conditions, but how often are you attacking or defending under these conditions in BF2?

I hear you. Thing is, now you can fire the PKM like a single shot semi-auto sniper, without bursting. Seems odd for a weapon intended to be a LMG. Then again I just saw a clip on the news last night of an Iraqi soldier firing one and he WAS able to single shot it pretty easily, so maybe it's just that good!

I'm the Dude said:
I HATED the unkillable from the ground choppers before, but I'm not one who complained to EA, that's for sure. I actually think the play dynamics are cool now. The PKM is a beast now though.

What unkillable from ground choppers? I'm assuming you referring to a blackhawk full of self-repairing engineers and not the attack copters. The attack copters were easy to take out if you had a partner working together. Seems like that is how it should be, since there are two people working together to make that copter effective, right?

Oh, guess not, rambo has to be able to remove any force multiplier by himself, reducing BF's combined arms game to braindead 64 player team deathmatch.

I had the most fun with BF2 in the summer months shortly after the release, blackhawking with a good group on ventrilo was great, and everything just seemed more balanced and fun then it is now. :(

eastvillager said:
What unkillable from ground choppers? I'm assuming you referring to a blackhawk full of self-repairing engineers and not the attack copters. The attack copters were easy to take out if you had a partner working together. Seems like that is how it should be, since there are two people working together to make that copter effective, right?

Oh, guess not, rambo has to be able to remove any force multiplier by himself, reducing BF's combined arms game to braindead 64 player team deathmatch.

He was speaking of the way prior to some of the recent patches, where a person lying prone was pretty impervious to the attach chopper's cannon. Basically, you saw a Havoc or Cobra incomming, and you went prone while they spent 20 seconds laying waste to you only to do no damage.

It has since been fixed (somewhat).

Blackhawk cannons never suffered from that.

Bullitt said:
He was speaking of the way prior to some of the recent patches, where a person lying prone was pretty impervious to the attach chopper's cannon. Basically, you saw a Havoc or Cobra incomming, and you went prone while they spent 20 seconds laying waste to you only to do no damage.

No, I was talking about how you could fire AA guns endlessly at any ATTACk choppper and it would never go down, and now it blows up nicely. :D

The PMK is finally worth unlocking!
I remember back in 1.0 and 1.1 the PMK was a huge let down.
I unlocked it to try to get my support badge and was SO FRACKING mad when I realized I was geting a kill to death ratio of 1:10 cause you couldnt hit shit!

I would stand there 3 feet from someone and open fire and only hit them 2 times before I was killed!

Bullitt said:

Shit, that's a bug I wish I could've been affected by. I lost track of the number of times I got wasted by an attack chopper's nose gun, while I was proned out trying to dig a virtual hole in the ground..

Question.
I now have SF installed, with my next unlock in vanilla BF2, will I be able to pick a SF gun, or do I need to unlock the SF gun in SF then I can use it in vanilla BF2?

Flak Pyro said:
I had the most fun with BF2 in the summer months shortly after the release, blackhawking with a good group on ventrilo was great, and everything just seemed more balanced and fun then it is now. :(
That was the first thing I was looking for before first patch, blackhawk whore were ruining the game for everyone.

Majin said:
Question.
I now have SF installed, with my next unlock in vanilla BF2, will I be able to pick a SF gun, or do I need to unlock the SF gun in SF then I can use it in vanilla BF2?

I think it'll show up as an unlock after the login screen regardless of which game you're playing. Meaning you'll be able to choose whatever gun you want that's available from either pool of weapons.

About the unlocks, I'm kinda new at BF2 but I do know that if you have SF you get to use the unlocks on any choice you want. I also found out that if you have the vanilla bf2 and someone with SF installed on thier comp logs in with your char you get all the the SF unlocks on your comp when you log in again.

Example I was a SGT and used all my unlocks on my comp. Went to friend house and played SF. Came back home and I logged in and I got 3 more free unlocks. Also the "system" remembers because I picked up StaffSgt and I got 2 more unlocks instead of the standerd 1.

Yeah, I learned about that little trick at another forum and mentioned it in one of the gazillion BF2 threads here. Cool for you, but if you don't have SF, you're still missing out on a couple sweet maps.

Back