BF2/2142 and Vista 64?

Run as admin, sometimes you have to enable xp compatibility mode aswell. They both run, but considering both are still buggy as shit your odds are pretty much 50/50 getting it working anyway. :p

BF2 works fine on my vista 64 bit, I don't remember doing anything special. Not sure about 2142

Thanks Mat.

The game has major conflicts with Vista and 64 bit. Some get it to work, but most never do. They are coming out with a new patch so hopefully that will cure it.

Thanks Mat.

The game has major conflicts with Vista and 64 bit. Some get it to work, but most never do. They are coming out with a new patch so hopefully that will cure it.

Actually, it runs about as well on any version of vista as it does on xp, which is to say that it does work, usually. :p

As for the new patch, I can pretty much safely say with 100% confidence that it won't change a thing when it comes to the stability of either game.

BF2 works fine on my vista 64 bit,
I really appreciate that you took the time to let me know that man. It doesn't do squat for the fact that it is not working for the majority in my situation, but I am glad that it works for you. Thanks man.

I really appreciate that you took the time to let me know that man. It doesn't do squat for the fact that it is not working for the majority in my situation, but I am glad that it works for you. Thanks man.

his answer was as helpful as your description of the problem.

Whats wrong? Why wont it run? any errors messages?

I never realized there were compatibility problems for BF2/2142. I have BF2 installed on 3 different computers all 64-bit and my friends and no problems.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but when you need help and someone makes a blanket statement like he did saying "it works fine for me" well, thats just unacceptable.
Offer a solution if it works fine for you.

I never realized there were compatibility problems for BF2/2142. I have BF2 installed on 3 different computers all 64-bit and my friends and no problems.

OK man no problem, just frustrates as hell.

Sorry man, me and all my buddies run have run both games on Vista 64 without a hiccup!

Try a fresh install of Vista!

another here who has Bf2 running fine...(i disable UAC myself)

Specs are

vista 64 ultimate
Q6600 @ 3ghz
visiontek 4850 with cat 8.11
DFI x38 T2R Dk board and 8 g of Viper ram (4 x2G)

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but when you need help and someone makes a blanket statement like he did saying "it works fine for me" well, thats just unacceptable.

and posting a thread with little to no info is just as unnacceptable, so get off your high horse and if you want answers, provide more details and maybe others will provide more info right back at cha!

if it works "fine" for someone how can they offer a solution, since there was no problem to find a solution for..

Hardware?
Drivers versions?
what exactly as said above is NOT working for you...

Why is that unacceptable? All you did is say BF2 doesn't work on vista 64, and me telling you that it works fine for me means that vista 64 isn't necessarily the problem. It's not rocket science.

if it works "fine" for someone how can they offer a solution, since there was no problem to find a solution for..

That is the reason that i don't really need any of their advice on this issue. They are not having problems and cannot help. Thank you for clearing that up for me so more will understand.
Boy this horse is tough to climb back up on...

Specs on the way...

Why is that unacceptable? All you did is say BF2 doesn't work on vista 64, and me telling you that it works fine for me means that vista 64 isn't necessarily the problem. It's not rocket science.

OK there buddy no problems.

Here is my computer specs:
Gateway P7811FX Gaming Laptop (recommended here btw)
Processor: 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Storage: 200GB hard drive, 320GB Back up hard drive
Optical Drives: DVD±RW
Display: 17-inch TFT
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS (512MB)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

This is the link to the full specs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gate...tag=mncol;psum

I tried the 180 driver that is out but this is the recommended driver.

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 01/02/2009 16:15:51
System name: SCOTT-PC

[Display]
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz (2261 MHz)
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 10.0
GPU processor: GeForce 9800M GTS
Driver version: 179.28
Stream processors: 64
Core clock: 600 MHz
Shader clock: 1500 MHz
Memory clock: 799 MHz (1598 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 256-bit
Total available graphics memory: 2301 MB
Dedicated video memory: 512 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1789 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.94.37.00.13
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x1

[Components]

nvCplUIR.dll 2.2.360.00 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCpl.cpl 2.2.360.00 NVIDIA Control Panel Applet
nvExpBar.dll 1.5.740.10 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 2.2.360.00 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvViTvSR.dll 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA Video and TV Server
nvViTvS.dll 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA Video and TV Server
nvDispSR.dll 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA Display Server
NVCPL.DLL 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Display driver, Version 179.28
nvGameSR.dll 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 7.15.11.7928 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

Thanks Mat.

So what is the problem here with your BF2? I have had zero problems playing it and so have my 20 or so friends/people I know that all play it on Vista 64 and Vista 32 all with no issues.

Let's get down to the meat of your problem so we can help you troubleshoot it. Post your specs... including your sound card.

Also, are you re-using your profile from Windows XP, as in did you keep your BF2 folder in your MyDocuments? If so, rename that folder to Battlefeild2BAK so that BF2 creates a new profile for you with all the default settings. BF2 and DirectX refresh rates can be a real pain in the ass with BF2...for example: change your monitor and you might find your BF2 crashing to desktop at loading with no indication of why.

First off, most DO get it to work (without any kind of workaround I might add) so saying most never do is stupid. Probably some hardware problem. Try formatting again.

On 2 different computers with vista 64? are you nutz? Thanks but no thanks.

ive been playing bf2, bf2 special forces and bf 2142 on the rig on my sign vista ultimate 64 bit and so far no problems at all.....i even changed the properties on the desktop icon so i can get a resolution of 1680 by 1050 on all of them

I used to play BF2. Never had a problem on 64-bit Vista. I don't think I had to run it as an administrator or in compatibility mode, and I left UAC on.

I would suspect a driver issue.

Are you gonna post what your problem actually is or just troll?

Installed game, updated game, tried to run game and it tried to run (meaning that the pointer icon started spinning), nothing happened. I checked my running processes and it was there using alot of processor power, but would not run. Thats it.
That is where I am so far on that. coincidentally I am having the same problem with one of my Steam games: Fallout 3. All other games run.

i also have another post regarding Fallout 3 as most of you know. Nothing yet though.
Btw, when i run both games in XP pro on the same PC they both run fine.

Sounds like a vista issue then, something wrong with your install or drivers. I am running x64 Ultimate,m and I have no issues running Fallout 3 or any other games so far.

Installed game, updated game, tried to run game and it tried to run (meaning that the pointer icon started spinning), nothing happened. I checked my running processes and it was there using alot of processor power, but would not run. Thats it.
That is where I am so far on that. coincidentally I am having the same problem with one of my Steam games: Fallout 3. All other games run.

i also have another post regarding Fallout 3 as most of you know. Nothing yet though.
Btw, when i run both games in XP pro on the same PC they both run fine.

Long shot, but did you update Punkbuster? http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Also, when it crashes, are you able to alt-tab out instead of CTL--ALT-DEL? Often you will get to see a strange error message.

Another long shot, delete your BF2 folder or rename it in your my docs if you haven't tried that yet.

And finally, are you using the graphics drivers from your manufacturer instead of the nVidia reference drivers? Try your manufacturer driver if you aren't already.

Long shot, but did you update Punkbuster? http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Also, when it crashes, are you able to alt-tab out instead of CTL--ALT-DEL? Often you will get to see a strange error message.

Another long shot, delete your BF2 folder or rename it in your my docs if you haven't tried that yet.

And finally, are you using the graphics drivers from your manufacturer instead of the nVidia reference drivers? Try your manufacturer driver if you aren't already.

The game never even starts up for me. I have not deleted the BF2 folder yet. I will try the manufacturer drivers.
Thanks ill let you know

The game never even starts up for me. I have not deleted the BF2 folder yet. I will try the manufacturer drivers.
Thanks ill let you know

Ahh... by spinning icon, I thought you meant the red 2 that rotates.. you mean the spinning "CD" looking icon?

That would point to the copy protection. SecuROM problem perhaps.

Well since I just got mine working again I figured I'd chime in here. It ran fine for me on my Vista 64 machine then it just stopped a while back but forgot about it since I don't play too much anymore. I started messing around with it today but soon just ended up reinstalling it and it started right up...I know that don't help you but it reminded me that I was also getting my other XP machine to play BF2 with my 42" wide screen TV and had to download this little program and edit the desktop icon...etc etc. so it can run 1920 X1080.

Maybe it's the display settings on your laptop? Maybe add a line to the startup for the laptop's native res.

I found it a few pages back here but you could do a search for Widescreen Fixer and it should come up.

Just a shot in the dark. Hope this helps.

Ahh... by spinning icon, I thought you meant the red 2 that rotates.. you mean the spinning "CD" looking icon?

I meant the pointer arrow when you click on a shortcut. The old one was an hourglass in XP and it spins in Vista.
I installed the manufacturer's video drivers and it still doesn't work.

Well since I just got mine working again I figured I'd chime in here. It ran fine for me on my Vista 64 machine then it just stopped a while back but forgot about it since I don't play too much anymore. I started messing around with it today but soon just ended up reinstalling it and it started right up...I know that don't help you but it reminded me that I was also getting my other XP machine to play BF2 with my 42" wide screen TV and had to download this little program and edit the desktop icon...etc etc. so it can run 1920 X1080.

Maybe it's the display settings on your laptop? Maybe add a line to the startup for the laptop's native res.

I found it a few pages back here but you could do a search for Widescreen Fixer and it should come up.

Just a shot in the dark. Hope this helps.

I will try another re-install, but I have to say, I totally forgot about that resolution fix. I will give that a shot too. Thanks.

Both BF2142 and BF2 used SafeDisc. Might still be a disc check problem though, yeah.

On my Vista 64 I can not play single player but multiplayer works ok

if you copy and pastad your old settings into the profile folder it might be causing it assuming you had a widescreen resolution set. try moving the profile somehwere so it loads fresh and use the wscreen fixer.

i'm on 64 ultimate, runs normal for me.

q6600 ocd
8800gt
ip35
4gb

and off topic but i also just installed bf1942 with fh last night , i was pleased that it works still. aslong as you make it win98 compatible , xp doesnt seem to work when i run forgotten hope.

Not all applied to me and I do have SP1, but I will try anyway.
Thanks.

Back