BF1942 revival?

If they do remake 42, don't overexaggerate the old maps. Just same buildings, no additional structures, maybe more details and make them destructable would be how I would want it.

For example, not a big fan of the remake of Wake Island on BF3...

Agreed, there is a bunch of shit thrown everywhere on that map now.

·PitBuLL·;1038707404 said:
RMP, do you remember a pilot named "busta"?

I remember getting my ass handed to me several times by him. :D
both in the air and in a tank. He was on that CAL ringer team... Can't remember the name. Think we got our asses handed to us in a CAL Open match by that team. Even though we probably had the best team that year "on paper" LOL

I also remember him from the TWL and CAL forums.. Good times.

He was definately one of the 1337 pilots.
=HPSF= Had two of the best and a bunch of greats.
DreadKnight aka: Dread aka: csab.dread aka: LOL
Nazgul
Lookback
Face
Jynx
Me (legend in my own mind) :)

And the self proclaimed worst pilot ever. Sgt Milla. :)

I remember getting my ass handed to me several times by him. :D
both in the air and in a tank. He was on that CAL ringer team... Can't remember the name. Think we got our asses handed to us in a CAL Open match by that team. Even though we probably had the best team that year "on paper" LOL

I also remember him from the TWL and CAL forums.. Good times.

He was definately one of the 1337 pilots.
=HPSF= Had two of the best and a bunch of greats.
DreadKnight aka: Dread aka: csab.dread aka: LOL
Nazgul
Lookback
Face
Jynx
Me (legend in my own mind) :)

And the self proclaimed worst pilot ever. Sgt Milla. :)

Haha yeah... That was me, I thought your name and clan tag looked familiar. I just recently built myself a new gaming PC, unaware at how much the competitive shooter scene has changed. I hadn't played a game since maybe 2006. After '42 I won some CAL/TWL stuff in BF:V and BF2 with 20ID, but most of the guys are AWOL these days.

BF42 was the greatest game I ever played, and the only reason why I ever considered myself more than a casual gamer. Unfortunately these days I can't find anything that I enjoy... Shame.

enemy submarine spotted!!!

wait what? this is the middle of the desert!

Haha I had a few teams share their Ventrilo/TeamSpeak logs with me after I played against them. I really frustrated some people lol. That's great that you have that Shoutcast... I was hoping to find the one from the CAL-i season 2 championship match when I played for Paradigm..

·PitBuLL·;1038713441 said:
What "cheating" scandal are you referring to?

I forget what season it was, but Demise was busted for using exploits that allowed faster than normal respawns for vehicles and such on their server. We caught them DDoSing our server as well on several occasions.

Well I'm certainly getting a strong feeling of nostalgia reading this thread (and watching the linked videos).

For some reason just reading "Forgotten Hope" gives me chills. I remember it being so well done that it gave me that immersed feeling when I played.

Those were the days. 12v12 was greatness.. Wish I had recorded vent on some of those matches. LOL

I do have a CAL match versus FRAG recorded HPSF vent and Shoutcasting by H-Street as a bonus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KIUpwuVsF8 (this is part 1 of 6 if you are bored :) )

A nice little archive.

http://www.teamwarfare.com/forums/forumdisplay.asp?forumid=27

I was looking at some of those threads in the TWL forums. Good stuff. The first two seasons of Cal were my favorite.

·PitBuLL·;1038713016 said:
Haha yeah... That was me, I thought your name and clan tag looked familiar. I just recently built myself a new gaming PC, unaware at how much the competitive shooter scene has changed. I hadn't played a game since maybe 2006. After '42 I won some CAL/TWL stuff in BF:V and BF2 with 20ID, but most of the guys are AWOL these days.

BF42 was the greatest game I ever played, and the only reason why I ever considered myself more than a casual gamer. Unfortunately these days I can't find anything that I enjoy... Shame.

Agreed. Most of =HPSF= went AWOL as well. Some still gaming with the clan tag and others never to be seen again. Thank you WoW! :mad:

Man, 20ID...I remember those guys from the AQ2 days. I think that was one of the first games they played.

busta was dirty good.

Bf42 was the bee's knees, DC just made it all that much better. I switched from CS to BF42 and never looked back.

I too am in the process of building a gaming rig (after not having PC gamed for ~5 years) and am sincerely hoping something can come close to BF2.

There was also a community organized around having 12 hour battles a few times a week that I remember as being a lot of fun, especially since most folk weren't exactly top tier. Some pretty epic battles. I think it switched to FH at some point if I remember.

I'm really hoping Planetside 2 can come close to what BF1942 was!

Moon Gamer Omaha beach!

Medic class American starting at the naval ship.
Storming the beach with the transport shit as
all the machine guns Tiger Tank and Panzer Tank open
up on you.

some how manage to make it up into the trenches and kill all the
fuckers looking out at the beach.

Then moving up the hill to the right side and storming the Anti-Naval ship gun
all the way deep. Takign the Massive gun from the germans and blasting
the Tiger tank and Panzer tank to pieces.

Ohh the memories!

BF1942 is still the best Multi player FPS to me!
BF2/BF3 dont have shit on it!

For me bf1942 was the first game to deliver on 100% what was promised. I remember seeing their launch/preview trailer. All the vehicles,tanks,ships,subs,planes. Then I remember seeing the zero fly right down the side of a battleship and I was like "NO WAY!" I shat myself when I was able to do it in game. I love killing novice tankers because they didn't know aiming for a specific part of the front tracks were 1 shot kills.

So does 1942 work on Win 7 64? I tried BF2 a few months ago and the game installed and played fine but I could not get the latest patches to install to play online.

There was an I-82 mod? Damn! How'd I miss that one?! Interstate 76 was one of my favorite games ever.

I don't remember BF1942's vehicle physics being all that great, but I can imagine that still being a blast.

There was an I-82 mod? Damn! How'd I miss that one?! Interstate 76 was one of my favorite games ever.

I don't remember BF1942's vehicle physics being all that great, but I can imagine that still being a blast.

Wasn't I-82 a car racing mod on vanilla 42?!? ROFLMAO! I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I played it.

Is it just me or Desert Combat was the mod that started it all for both BF2 and BF3?!? Kinda gets old after about 10 years. I wish they would go back to the 1942 world war eras vs this modern-day BS. I love flying planes with propellers on them; you have much more control.

Is it just me or Desert Combat was the mod that started it all for both BF2 and BF3?!? Kinda gets old after about 10 years. I wish they would go back to the 1942 world war eras vs this modern-day BS. I love flying planes with propellers on them; you have much more control.

Yes. The dev team of and project was bought up by EA games and then promptly screwed over.

I miss those days....I was the leader for the Black Hawk Down Mod.... We were started up before DC, and when DC was being made Frank asked us to join his mod to just create the Mogadishu map...and we should/would have but the BHDMod team was all over the place. And not much commitment. (It's hard to get a hard working mod team together)....And we actually declined the offer since we didn't think we would help a well established team like them except for a couple of us...

Last edited:
right now , arma2 sits on top of steam charts... cause of mods.

in your face EA!

loved BF1942, havn't played a game since that had the quality of dog fighting desert combat had. I'd like the see lost village and the other maps come to bf3.

those were the days, now 99% of the stuff we get is crap.

I wont argue that. In fact, there were ton's of mods from 42. Hell, it was on par with Half-life!
let me list my favs. :)

DC - Pre BF2
Action BF - NUKES!!!
Interstate 82 - DISCO!!!
Pirates - ARG!
EOD- Pre BFV
FH
Galactic Conquest - Use the force!

Interstate 82!!! i have to find my BF1942 disks now.. i loved interstate 76!

loved BF1942, havn't played a game since that had the quality of dog fighting desert combat had. I'd like the see lost village and the other maps come to bf3.

those were the days, now 99% of the stuff we get is crap.

Agreed, I always felt the entire DC mod was incredibly well balanced. Each class had a role to play and it was a great rock-paper-scissors game.

Without the mods the fun isn't there.

Q: Can I use this version of the game together with old Battlefield 1942 mods?
A: This is officially untested and we cannot guarantee any mod functionality. Sporadic testing leads us to believe that Desert Combat 0.7 works, as well as Eve of Destruction 2.5. For more discussion on popular mods, head to the new Battlelog forums we have set up specifically for this release of Battlefield 1942. Please share your findings on which mods work and which do not.

Q: Can I run a dedicated server for the game?
A: Yes, you can run a dedicated server by running the file “DedicatedServer.exe”. It is located in the folder where you installed Battlefield 1942 through Origin. This will present you with all available settings, maps and modes for you to customize before pressing the button “launch server”. This server will be visible to all other players via the server browser.

As far as I can see, there's no guarantee that the mods will work, but nothing stopping you from trying.

BF1942 is just one of those gems, much like Raven Shield, that will probably never be recreated in this day and age of mainstream gaming. :(

BF1942 is just one of those gems, much like Raven Shield, that will probably never be recreated in this day and age of mainstream gaming. :(

Raven Shield was awesome. Probably the best tactical shooter made. I was SO dissiapointed when R6: V was announced...

BF1942, the best FPS I've played since it came out. I haven't enjoyed a FPS as much since. It's way past time for a proper revival but even if they did I'm sure it would be screwed up.

It would require

- Offline LAN play first and for most or its dead in the water for me and my friends just as BF3 is.
- Private servers you can set up on your PC and not have to rent
- Massively updated to the BOTS AI (not a requirement but be fantastic for smaller LAN groups)
- Updated graphics and physics of course BUT DO NOT MAKE IT COD TWITCH GAMING PLAY STYLE.

Id buy 20 copies for me and my boys immediately upon release. :)

I play BF1943 on Xbox live at least every other day

NOT...
the....
same!

Forgotten Hope, the rediculous level of added detail and equipment and DC for the ability to lie down on the back of an Abrams and provide support. :D

Loved me some vanilla '42 and the DC mod. Was unlike anything at the time. For BF:V it was the PoE mods. BF2 had the PR mod. I firly believe that the success of those mods is why BF3 gave us official DLC content and no mod support.

Control the longevity of the game + Control ALL contect = Control over the $. Its business, but sucks for the enthusiast. My best memories were not from the stock games.

That said, I think they are best left as awesome memories that should not be revisited. We tried installing BF:V again for old times sake and were let down by the quality of game play. Was it stellar for its time? Damn right. Did it age well? Not as well as I would have liked. Your opinions may varry, but we decided to let the memories of TWL ghosts past lay undisturbed.

+1 for Raven Sheild as well. Good times.

Loved me some vanilla '42 and the DC mod. Was unlike anything at the time. For BF:V it was the PoE mods. BF2 had the PR mod. I firly believe that the success of those mods is why BF3 gave us official DLC content and no mod support.

Control the longevity of the game + Control ALL contect = Control over the $. Its business, but sucks for the enthusiast. My best memories were not from the stock games.

That said, I think they are best left as awesome memories that should not be revisited. We tried installing BF:V again for old times sake and were let down by the quality of game play. Was it stellar for its time? Damn right. Did it age well? Not as well as I would have liked. Your opinions may varry, but we decided to let the memories of TWL ghosts past lay undisturbed.

+1 for Raven Sheild as well. Good times.

Yup. Except I never played raven shield. Weird. Probably playing bf too much.

Back