BF Vietnam. I'll never buy EA games again

I know I will get bashed for liking consoles, but...
When a console game comes it has to WORK out of the box. Why can't the developer of PC game do the same thing. It is possible; look at Unreal Torunament 2004. There almost no issues at all for this game. If I am playing 50 dollars for a game I want it to work at least half right out of the box. This just isn't a problem with online game either on the PC. Deus Ex: IW had a lot of problems out of the box too, yet the xbox version worked fine.

Also, the gamecube is a great console. There are so many triple a games for that console....

Zelda WW
Metroid Prime
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil
Veiwtiful Joe
MGS TS
Mario Kart DD

After playing fps and rts on pc all the time, playing gamecube games is kinda of fun.

PC devs are getting lazy and projects that are too creative don't get supported by publishers. Consoles are where the big money's at it seems :(

Originally posted by uB3rn00b3r
I know I will get bashed for liking consoles, but...
When a console game comes it has to WORK out of the box.

Thats not true. Ever play Enter the Matrix..... :p

The game has been out for 48 hrs. They cannot possibly have every bug fixed on release. Even with beta testers, lets say, 1000 of them as opposed to say 700,000, its still not going to get everything.

What will it take to get this into your fucking heads? The Radeon 9800 is an INDUSTRY LEADER. It should have been a priority development goal.

Originally posted by pistola
Thats not true. Ever play Enter the Matrix..... :p

ugh, lets exclude the tangents... that game was just.. words cant describe it

Originally posted by WickedAngel
What will it take to get this into your fucking heads? The Radeon 9800 is an INDUSTRY LEADER. It should have been a priority development goal.
Ya never know, maybe they didn't come across enough of the problems people have been having during the beta testing. I have a 9800 and have had no problems. I'm sure they're working on the problem.

Consoles just aren't that great. I mean, if a game comes out and it has problems, you can't fix em. There aren't any patches. There are no addons. Games that suck on a console, will suck until the sequal comes out. PCs have expandablity. Not to mention it's harder to solve all the problems on PCs and such seeing as hardware is so diverse. Consoles are what they are. You don't really upgrade the video cards or CPU. It is what it is. Comparing a console game to a computer game just isn't worth talking about.

Patches solve little problems and large problems. Games come out all the time that will need patches. You may not notice any problems in UT2K4 but I'm sure there will be a patch coming out to deal with a problem that you may not have been experiencing but other have been. That's life in the world of gaming.

When will you get it through YOUR head that maybe they had a deal with Nvidia instead of ATI? Consider all the possibilities before you go shooting your mouth off like that. Everytime you swear, you just make yourself look stupid.

And every time you retort with such a pathetic argument, you do the same.

Making a deal with Nvidia gives them the right to screw ATI users? Nice logic there, chief. You should work for Microsoft.

Do you think that Half-Life 2 is going to have substantial problems running on Nvidia cards because Valve made a deal with ATI? Doubt it. Would you be happy if it did? Fortunately for this industry, some developers consider the other side of the court despite having made a deal.

Do you think that Half-Life 2 is going to have substantial problems running on Nvidia cards because Valve made a deal with ATI?

from what I understand, one of the big reasons HL2 was delayed for so long, was because of major issuses with nVidia's geforceFX cards. Valve was like "whoa we can't release that until its fixed". Thats what a "good" company does.

Just to let you guys know, I was having huge problems with the 4.3 Cats installed and someone recommended that I go back to the 3.7's. So I did it and it fixed my artifacting when AA was on and made things look a lot more crisp. It didn't fix it 100% though... on some buildings and vehicles I get fuzzy boxes as the textures and it still lags a little bit but not nearly as bad as it was.

Just wanted to let you guys know about it because it does make it somewhat more playable for some ATi users that are having problems. If you're desperate like me give it a try ;)

Originally posted by BoWser
Patches and drivers will fix this sort of stuff likley. This happens to some games and it is the first day. I've had some issues with my graphics card in bf1942 and now its fixed. I just hope the patching for this game dosen't turn into gearbox's where they hardly do anything with each patch.

Icewind's points particularly about sound all ring home for me. I just picked my copy up today. While I've only had about 15 minutes to check it out, I've already noticed sound problems. I even have an old Abit Ti4200 OTES card I swapped in anticipating problems with my 9600 Pro. The thing I don't understand is why people forgive companies like EA for releasing at full price software they know has serious bugs. There isn't one damn thing I saw on the outside of the package that warns ATI owners that their software and ATI's hardware have issues. I am tired of buying EA games and having to wait for patches to have my games run good. Icewind I think you got another person to send an economic vote to EA starting now!

Did...uh...EA even make the game? Or was it just the publisher.

I'm curious how involved in the actual process they were.

from what I understand, one of the big reasons HL2 was delayed for so long, was because of major issuses with nVidia's geforceFX cards. Valve was like "whoa we can't release that until its fixed". Thats what a "good" company does.

Wrong. That was just some BS ATI fanboys made up. Short story is that nobody except Valve has any idea why the game was really delayed - except everybody, because Valve blatantly lied about the first release date to generate interest - so saying anything like that is a long shot. If I remember right, they had actually fixed the GFFX problems before the leak.

Making a deal with Nvidia gives them the right to screw ATI users?
Actually, yes it does. If they don't want to have it working for nVidia users, they don't have to. It's their choice. If they wanted to, they could make it only work on a Radeon 8500 and nothing more but they didn't. I think they made a good decision by trying to fix some of the problems by putting the nVidia drivers on the CD for people to try out.

Originally posted by Screwz Luse
Actually, yes it does. If they don't want to have it working for nVidia users, they don't have to. It's their choice. If they wanted to, they could make it only work on a Radeon 8500 and nothing more but they didn't. I think they made a good decision by trying to fix some of the problems by putting the nVidia drivers on the CD for people to try out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the game DirectX?

That means that the game should be coded to some standard (as much as an MS standard allows...)

Therefore about the only thing that could be to blame would be "optimizations" (if the game were up to DX 8 or 9 standards)

In it's simplest form, not using any driver or manufacturer specific ops the games should theoretically run just fine.

So there are two things to blame here.
Shoddy Code, and shoddy drivers.

Yea sure, games and video cards, are made with DX in mind, but not nessecarily the video drivers, thats where the problems occur.

Yea sure, games and video cards, are made with DX in mind, but not nessecarily the video drivers, thats where the problems occur.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Let me put it this way.

I write decent code, for a DrectX title (meaning it compiles without warnings, follows all the rules of the DX SDK)

In theory, my code should run flawless on ANY DX Certified (WHQL?) card... Right?

So that means that there are 2 factors that create the graphics problems (and maybe some non-obvious DX related problems)

Shoddy DX coding within BF:V
Shoddy DX support coding in the driver set.

Combine the 2. and boom.

i don't really want to read through 10 pages of "it sucks/it doesn't" posts ... i'm just going to add my own.

im dissapointed. i don't know if there was pressure to release the game early or something ... but i don't care if they're going to fix it with a patch ... bf42 ran fine for me the first time. this is just a joke, an expensive joke that pisses me off. but its just my opinion ... and i'm sure there are people out there who had the complete reverse of my experience.

Originally posted by tekcajder
i don't really want to read through 10 pages of "it sucks/it doesn't" posts ... i'm just going to add my own.
This thread was hijacked a long time ago. Strange though how some of the offtopic posts are strangely getting back on topic.

I just wanna find John Kerry in this game, I bet someone will make a skin, lol.

I wonder if they put him in this game or something, driving a boat, holding a protest sign....lol.

Originally posted by Torgo
This thread was hijacked a long time ago. Strange though how some of the offtopic posts are strangely getting back on topic.

It's like taking a cross country road trip and getting lost.

Sure, you're on the wrong highway for about 3 states. But eventually you'll find the right one.

Originally posted by tekcajder

im dissapointed. i don't know if there was pressure to release the game early or something ... but i don't care if they're going to fix it with a patch ... bf42 ran fine for me the first time. this is just a joke, an expensive joke that pisses me off. but its just my opinion ... and i'm sure there are people out there who had the complete reverse of my experience.

Actually that reminds me. I'm almost positive I remember reading in a magazine last summer that the dev team was saying release was "a year or more" away. So if it's out now, that means it's several months ahead of schedule.

If that's the case, I wonder if they compressed the development schedule at all to avoid the crush of FPS games later in the year. 2004 is shaping up to be extremely busy in that area of the gaming segment.

I love BF:VN, and it's a whole lot more than what I expected. Visually it's great, sound is great, and the level of details in everything is amazing. I give EA and Dice a big "congratulations" on the improvements from even BF1942.

Online play the last couple of days, on 32-40 person servers, I've been getting 60 to 140 fps, with all video and audio on high settings and with EAX 3.0. I have witnessed choppiness from time to time, but it was specific to certain servers.

Note: to all those ATI owners barking at EA/Dice, you're barking up the wrong tree. Get after ATI to put out some compatible drivers. nVidia knew their 53.03 drivers wouldn't work with the game, so they got out the 56.55 and 56.64, which do.

I'm in love with the original BF1942, I was playing it since the SP demo came out a long time ago.

There are still a few things that bug me:

1) microlag of the controls, it doesn't feel as liquid as UT2004
2) guns sound like toys
3) close combat is more luck than skill, because of irrational bullet lag
4) minor bugs that should have been fixed a long time ago
- killing teammates while moving very slow in vehicles
- losing almost all your health when leaving a landing craft in motion
- unable to reload M1 until all out of ammo

Those things should have been fixed a while ago. When that happens, I will gladly name BF1942 the best game ever. :D

heh, I played the demo for secret weapons for fifteen minutes and couldn't tolerate it any longer. Of course I didn't buy it.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
I'm in love with the original BF1942, I was playing it since the SP demo came out a long time ago.

There are still a few things that bug me:

1) microlag of the controls, it doesn't feel as liquid as UT2004
2) guns sound like toys
3) close combat is more luck than skill, because of irrational bullet lag
4) minor bugs that should have been fixed a long time ago
- killing teammates while moving very slow in vehicles
- losing almost all your health when leaving a landing craft in motion

Those things should have been fixed a while ago. When that happens, I will gladly name BF1942 the best game ever. :D

heh, I played the demo for secret weapons for fifteen minutes and couldn't tolerate it any longer. Of course I didn't buy it.

I agree with you and unfortunatly those things have been passed over into BFV as well.

I only play any of the BF series because of the concept of the game, too bad in all reality the game sucks precision wise. I hate the player movement in the game with a passion, I hate how the guns fire, I hate the 'microlag' as you put it, and I hate the interaction between player and vehicle. Its without a doubt one of the shittiest game engines around.

But the type of game it is makes up for it.

I think personally one of the best games around for overall movement and playability is Wolf:ET. The movements are so fluid and close combat is supreme fun in that game. I guess it has to do witht he Q3 engine, but I cant remember for 100% but I think ET was better then Q3 movement wise.

This shows just how rushed the project was. In an effort to manually uninstall this cause my Installshield engine is borked... I was searching for all the related reg keys. Half the names they use are default InstallShield ones whihc would normally be changed. Like "YourAppHere"

Real professional.

On a nother not. Fuck InstallShield. Their engine sucks.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac

this isn't a bug, its the way the gun was made to act in real life.

Im sorry to laugh at all of your misfortunes, but I am getting really smooooth FPSs at 1280x1024 and all settings high on the system in my profile.

I mean, if a game comes out and it has problems, you can't fix em. There aren't any patches.

That isn't really a problem in the console industry. In the past five years, there have only been three console games that stand out as being terribly glitchy (And that wasn't the fault of the hardware); Morrowind (Xbox), Enter the Matrix (All), and Pirates of the Caribbean (Xbox). Two of these were done by Bethesda.

There are no addons.

Wrong.

Not to mention it's harder to solve all the problems on PCs and such seeing as hardware is so diverse.

Blah blah blah

We've already covered this. Of course they can't be expected to feature compatibility for every video card, but the least they can do is program for the industry leaders (And there aren't many cards in that category, nulling your point)

Consoles are what they are. You don't really upgrade the video cards or CPU. It is what it is.

It's on the developers to make progress with the technology. Instead of expecting people to spend hundreds on new cards every six months, console developers find new ways and invent new techniques to achieve better results. The hardware doesn't need to progress; they just learn to further utilize it.

You may not notice any problems in UT2K4 but I'm sure there will be a patch coming out to deal with a problem that you may not have been experiencing but other have been.

I've yet to hear a single case of anyone having troubles in UT2K4 that are as serious as those in BFV (And I've been reading multiple forums quite actively since they came out)

LOL, actually EA has been doing a lot better than they used to, thier Fifa, Madden, Fight Night and James Bond series have all been great the last go around, not to mention other projects such as LOTR, Freedom Fighters, etc. But EA still has a lot of work to do, I really dunno what folks expected off of BFV, try to innovate it too much and people will say "it strays too much away from BF:1942", but too little and it's repetative...

No win for EA...

well, the only thing i dont like about ut2k4 right now is the server lag...but i guess thats not the games fault now is it :p

W00t.

Works for me np. I've got a 9800XT and a P4 3.0@3525. 1GB of RAM.

UT2004 isn't even installed yet because this is fun. w00t.

I've had the game in hand for about 3 days now ... my opinions:

1) I would have rather waited a few more months for some of the video errors to be worked out. I'm not having texture glitches, I'm experiencing a complete loss of video. Screen goes black, monitor light goes from green to amber. This happens every 2 to 4 minutes, without fail, and requires a reboot to fix. Yes, I've tried all the drivers from version 3.7 to 4.3, same results. I've updated my monitor drivers, increased my sound buffers, included the line for the refresh rates, blah blah blah. Nothing works.

2) The game is actually quite fun ... what little I've been able to play.

3) The audio could use some work, but it's by no means "bad". Just a little lacking.

4) The music is bad ass ... my most favorite aspect of the game. Good decision to license the music. (I'll be loading up a playlist of Vietnam era music when a patch comes out so I can actually play the damn thing for more than a couple minutes)

5) The environment does feel like SE Asia ... as much as you can expect from a video game, anyway. They did a good job in this respect.

6) The vehicles are a pretty good, and fairly well balanced, with the minor exception of the helicopters ... they're difficult as hell to take out. I would expect someone firing a M60 a full 100 rounds at a low flying slick would be able to take it out ... but it doesn't.

All in all, it's a pretty good game, but I am disappointed that there are so many bugs that they render it unplayable for a large number of people (myself included).

Originally posted by KaosDG
It's like taking a cross country road trip and getting lost.

Sure, you're on the wrong highway for about 3 states. But eventually you'll find the right one.
including that one stop at the rest station off I-65 where you ran into a trucker named Wayne who just wanted to have "a few moments of fun" which turned out to be a day and a half kidnapping until you are rolled out the passenger side while Wayne is still doing 45 on an off ramp 2 states later. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Belan

6) The vehicles are a pretty good, and fairly well balanced, with the minor exception of the helicopters ... they're difficult as hell to take out. I would expect someone firing a M60 a full 100 rounds at a low flying slick would be able to take it out ... but it doesn't.

I took down a chopper with my revolver earlier today :)

Back