BF Vietnam. I'll never buy EA games again

IceWindus

n00b
Ok, I dunno about you guys but i've had it with EA's shitty quality control, lack of desire or care for what we want in a game, and just a general lack of sense of any kind quality in the games they have been making these past few years. Like many of you, I was dying to see BFV in action. Ever since I saw the screenshots, I could not wait to get my hands on the next gen of BFV. Everything about it screamed top not action, better controls, bad ass weapons...ect..ect..Bring it on!!!!

Pleasantly suprised to hear it was coming out this month, I reserved my copy like many of you did. And like many of you, I finally managed to pick up a copy at my local Gamestop *Had one copy of UT2k4 Special Edition but I didn't get it*

I have to say NO GAME has dissapointed me the entire year of 2003 and beginning of 2004 like this game has.

1. Absolutely horrid menu system. At first I thought I was looking at a fucking mexican restuarant menu. It doesn't even have the title of the game on it!!!
Trying to work through the settings and the different menu selections is an absolute nightmare! It took me a good 10 minutes to figure why the fuck it wasn't storing my control settings only to find the SAVE button is nicely blended in with all the other menu options that are no joke, .5 centimeters apart!!!

2. Piss pour sound. I expected some very nice booming from my new Klipsch system when I fired the game up. Instead I got weak little "woof, heeezing" When I fired anything loud. Even firing a tank sounded like I was wearing ear plugs. Changing the sound types doesn't do any good, and reducing the sound quality makes it sound even worse!!

3. WTF is up with the ATI video card problem and this game general piss as peformance all together?

4. Even the packaging sucks. My second CD was practically attached to the case itself. I had to push down with all my weight and the CD still did not come out of the case and I was bending it at a 45 degree angle!!!! I had to take my leatherman and BREAK OFF the cd hold tabs to get the CD out of the fucking case!

Boy, and did I love the fact how your readme.txt states that us 9800 owners are basically SOL.
Wow EA, are you that fucking stuck up to to dismiss that maybe 50% of us or more DON"T USE NVIDIA cards for one reason or another. I get the distinct impression you just gave us the bird for this game.

Like I said, the game runs absolutely rancid! I ran at a terrible 33 FPS with 8X AF enabled, no AA. The game herked and jerked and OMG it was a beautiful slide show when anymore then 10 bots were in the area.

Hell, ok, lets take off shadows and AF. Hmmmm, so what we got here is a game that look WORSE then BF1942! I am not shitting you, the textures are a complete joke without the highest settings. And the framerate is still nothing to write home about, I puffed along at around 40fps but OMG, the second I got into dense jungle or into a serious firefight, al la la la, slide show once again!!!

Now, for dumping the money into the machine I have, I should be able to run 1280x960 just fine and beautiful. Well Far Cry is far beyond graphics wise and it runs MUUUUUCH better then this!!
Hmm ok, so seeings how I have an ATI card, I have to limit myself to a so gay 2000 standard of 1078x768 to get a decent framerate. Boy, were looking good now!!!

You know what EA, thats it. Iv'e had it. Iv'e had it with spending my hard earned money on your worthless, unfinished, poorly polished and just plain shitty games!!

You burned me on Need for Speed Underground with no LAN mode, no Replays, No customizable music and not even the ability to download new parts or anything!!!

Before that, you really pulled a good one with NFS Hot Pursuit 2. I think I would rather play Crash Bandicoot racing then that pitiful example of a sequel that didn't hold so much as a candle to the original

Then you released that piss ass of an excuse what was Command and Conquer Generals. Boy, the net code on that beauty was sure wonderful! Even our full T1 line wasn't enough to keep 4 players running at smooth pace! Not to mention the gameplay was nothing like the C&C that we knew for many years. Thanks again EA for destroy a classic genre!!!

Earth and Beyond: One word EA....Booooooooooooooooooooringg!!

Secret Weapons of WWII. Wow, this expansion pack was the most nicely covered up terd i've ever purchased. Hell I distinctly remembering myself playing it for maybe an hour after it came out, and I haven't touched it since. Felt more like I was playing "Humerous Jokes and Ideas of WWII" $30 down the tube for that rehash.

Oh yeah, and what about that wonderful news that you terminated Origin that made us the wonderful Wing Commander! Geee, I was kinda looking forward to a sequel after Phrophecy but I guess that wont happen now!!!

Oh, and lets not forget how much you have patched BF1942 this past year. Im finding 50% of the servers I am unable to connect to for "SOME" reason, no matter what changes I make to my DSL or my game settings. The netcode itself is still very much behind anything decent that so many other games run well *Cough UT2k4* Lets not forget how many people can attest to how just plain poorly it runs on numerous machines around the world, even if the recommended specs are reached.

Enough is enough EA! I refuse to put another dime in your ever growing pocket book. Your assimalation of good developers of past games and turning out wreckless POS games, thinking that were so retarded that we would buy then and not notice any difference makes me wanna puke. You gave us this nice little announcment that only NVIDIA hardware would run your games properly and us ATI owners, a HUGE portion of the market just morons.

First thing tomorroo, I'm go to my Gamestop manager who I know well and have worked for years. I will tell him what a gawdawful POS this game is and that every customer should avoid it at all costs and demand an exchange for UT2k4 that I KNOW will run will in amost every aspect.

Maybe enough people donig this will start putting a hurt in your pocket book and ego EA and make you change your ways, but I seriously doubt it.

if memory serves me correctly , bf1942 had the same issues , but was fixed with patches as time went on . and now its a really great game .

its a shame that things may end up like that, but ohwell

Anybody who consiters something in the state that BFV's in finished probably also thinks the world is flat and cars are powered by little demons who smash rocks together, and/or is a 50 cent groupie.

Anyone who uses the word "Worser" in their arguement gets an instant DQ. Kthx, come again.

Originally posted by IceWind
1. Absolutely horrid menu system. At first I thought I was looking at a fucking mexican restuarant menu. It doesn't even have the title of the game on it!!!
Trying to work through the settings and the different menu selections is an absolute nightmare! It took me a good 10 minutes to figure why the fuck it wasn't storing my control settings only to find the SAVE button is nicely blended in with all the other menu options that are no joke, .5 centimeters apart!!!

2. Piss pour sound. I expected some very nice booming from my new Klipsch system when I fired the game up. Instead I got weak little "woof, heeezing" When I fired anything loud. Even firing a tank sounded like I was wearing ear plugs.

LOL. Your review made me laugh so hard, I almost fell out of my chair!

Yea Ive been having some problems. I was so excited, I went out in the damn snowstorm to pick it up. I bring it home...and I have the same problem with the 2nd CD...they might as well have superglued it to the damn case. Almost broke it...
I realize that yes it is BFV 1.0....but still after all the hype and excitement they could have released it "somewhat" playable. I mean when a company releases a game...you want to play it right away dammit! I feel like im in a constant strobe light when Im playing this game....framerate is horrible.
I really hope they get a patch out....and soon cuz UT2K4 is lookin really good right about now.

Originally posted by IceWind
I ran at a terrible 33 FPS with 8X AF enabled, no AF.

cool i didn't know you could run the game with both 8x af and no af.

the fact is, it didn't really matter what EA game came out in battlefield vietnam's time slot. you would have still posted this thread ranting about EA.

IceWind, I thought your review was pretty good. I started hearing about this crap with the game, and now I know that I WILL NOT BUY BFV.

Damn, all I've heard are bad things about BFV, kinda wished I wouldn't have ordered it already.

But at least I get my free "Nam Rock Music CD" with my order!:rolleyes:

Patches and drivers will fix this sort of stuff likley. This happens to some games and it is the first day. I've had some issues with my graphics card in bf1942 and now its fixed. I just hope the patching for this game dosen't turn into gearbox's where they hardly do anything with each patch.

Originally posted by Catch22sk8r
if memory serves me correctly , bf1942 had the same issues , but was fixed with patches as time went on . and now its a really great game .

its a shame that things may end up like that, but ohwell

All that tells me is that EA better stop shipping games that need huge patches right out of the box.

It's like EA buying a town, pumping sewage to its residents for drinking water, slowly building a water purifying plant over time to clean the sewage water, and hoping nobody will notice.

Originally posted by electech98
All that tells me is that EA better stop shipping games that need huge patches right out of the box.

It's like EA buying a town, pumping sewage to its residents for drinking water, slowly building a water purifying plant over time to clean the sewage water, and hoping nobody will notice.

Hehehe.... Ew...

While... disturbing... as it may be, you have a very valid point and now I get to go to sleep with that mental image, thanks :p

the cd is melted to the case.

the grafx suck.

terrible frame rate.

total disappointment,yes.

all the hype and a $35 price tag, tough to pass up despite a spotted record(EA).

i can attest to all these things.

*do not buy bfv unless you are into the whole set the cd aside for a month or two till things get patched out.

Bah... EA gives pretty strict deadlines, so that's why games end up like this. Even though it's pretty weird that there are so many bugs in a sequel.

I was utterly bored with BF1942 and there is no way I am getting BFV.

UT2K4 all the way!

I've been playing it for about an hour now. No problems thus far. And im running a 9800XT. Its a good game, I think its a step in the right direction for the BF series.

Although I do hate the videocard deals, like EA is with nVidia, and Valve is with ATI... its all bull crap, they have to make it combatable with all systems, or they should get the asses sued off for it.

Gotta agree with many of the comments posted here.

I got BFV yesterday and after several hours of playing it I like it but there are definate problems:

I have a 9800Pro and the texture problem is definately evident with AA/AF on (needs to be turned off for everything to look right 100 percent of the time). Theres no excuse for this problem EA..........

At 1280x960 (using CAT 4.3 drivers) the game framerates drop DRASTICALLY in the thick jungle areas (and my rig is @ 3.5ghz overclocked). I needed to lower it to 1024x768 to keep everthing playable all the time at the highest settings (this is unacceptable in my opinion). If I turn off EAX3 sound the framerate improves in 1280x960 but I like the sound so I lowered the res instead.

I did like the sound however (sounds terrific with my Audigy2 and 6.1 speakers running EAX3).

There are also some nice improvements. I like the timebar that shows how long it will take to take over an enemy position. I also like the heli's and aircraft (much easier to fly than in DC).

These things are overshadowed however by not being able to run AA/AF and the framerate hits.

EA better get a patch for this out soon or alot of people won't be buying it...........

My UT2004 also arrived today, great game! And I can't wait for FarCry later this month. I really think BFV could be overshadowed.

I'm attending a weekend long LAN party this weekend where all we're playing is BFV and UT2004 so I'll be interested to see which ends up more fun.......

Kared

Most good games have problems in the beginning, ah hem..... Rainbow Six 3. Ah hem, BF-1942. Whatever I like it so far. I guess Im a true fan of the series.

Seriously, the fact that you whined that the menu screen doesnt have the game's name in it? Wtf are you going to forget which game you're playing? And second of all, BF:1942's menu functioned the EXACT same way with having to save your settings or they won't be applied, and if you can't even see the "save" option in the menu, good luck trying to find enemies in the foliage. As for the rest of your comments, I'm not even going to waste the time. Sure there's some bugs, what games don't have them? As many other people said, this isn't the final version, and I'll be EA will have a patch out very soon. Stop whining

Brad

Originally posted by MrPotsAndPans
As many other people said, this isn't the final version, and I'll be EA will have a patch out very soon. Stop whining

Brad

Finally a supporter! :D

I agree with most points. The menu is horrid, and the sound is terrible.

Whining? Yeah, you're allowed to do that when they ship a game that obviously isnt done, and still charge full price. Most games are like that, it doesnt make it right.

If I would have listened to, and believed the first reviews on all my hardware, and all my games, I would have never bought any of the shit I now know and love.

EA is a horrible game publisher, anyone who disagrees probably doesn't know shit about games and/or they are just an idiot and they are numbskulls. Most of EA's market is a bunch of 14 year olds who say OMG BFV!!! and the average console player who buys Madden every year regardless of the 2 changes.

EA does not care what its customers think, and does nothing to please it's customers. That is one way to run a buisness into the ground. I forsee that EA is going to run into problems by the next year or two.

I'm not even going to bother with BFV...

All these things can and will be fixed. I've been a fan of the BF 1942 series too long to throw in the towel now. Yes the game has problems but it's not unplayable.

Theres a sound buffer fix going around that reduces the stuttering. and i can live without the AA or AF for now.

As for me i'm having a blast.

AMD 2400+ 1024 ram
Radeon 9800pro 128

As many other people said, this isn't the final version, and I'll be EA will have a patch out very soon. Stop whining

Brad

So if everyone said: jump off a bridge, you would jump too? What kind of stupid logic is that??

If this isn't the final version THEN WHY DID THEY SHIP THE DAMN GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE???? Wake up and smell the BS!!

FYI - a game should be working out of the box, not after 10 patches. Stop making excuses for game publishers.

This game is very MEH.

UT2k4 and FarCry run a LOT better on my system than this POS, and they have better graphics.

As much as I love BF1942/DC, this game is probably not going to get any playtime right now. I'll probably give it a shot after a few patches and see what happens.

To tell you the truth BF1942 ran pretty decent out of the box for me. A lot better than this game, that's for sure. For some reason it's not playable even at 1024x768 res for me.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Its hard to get a game perfect out of the box. Think about the little testing most games get. A few hundred maybe a thousand people, beta test the unfinished game. Some expericene bugs some don't. The real beta test is the frist released version. Then people report all the bugs, then the first patch comes out. The patch causes more bugs, they are reported, patched again. Its a cycle that all PC games go through. Some are less buggy than others. But I glad EA released the game on time regardless of the bugs, at least they don't claim a game's release, and then push the date back on its release date..... like Half-Life 2..... or Doom III.

Ive always been an advocate AGAINST this shitty substandard game, I never and will never know what all the fucking hype was about. Maybe if I was some underage punk with his first PC and absolutly no knowledge of PC gaming I MIGHT think about. Other then that, I encourage ppl at my store NOT to buy it. Ppl cream over the fact they can climb into anything and use it meanwhile take out that factor and its a carbon copy of any FPS. BLAH.

SHELLSHOCK WILL OWN YOU ALL !

Originally posted by NowhereMan
So if everyone said: jump off a bridge, you would jump too? What kind of stupid logic is that??

If this isn't the final version THEN WHY DID THEY SHIP THE DAMN GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE???? Wake up and smell the BS!!

FYI - a game should be working out of the box, not after 10 patches. Stop making excuses for game publishers.

Well, Half-Life is a failure then, as well as UT and UT2k3, and soon to be UT2k4 as soon as they release a patch. Freespace sucked too then, and pretty much every game ever released for PC. OH what a horrible world we live in

Well, Half-Life is a failure then, as well as UT and UT2k3, and soon to be UT2k4 as soon as they release a patch. Freespace sucked too then, and pretty much every game ever released for PC. OH what a horrible world we live in

I was not saying that the games themselves are failures, I was saying that they should not be released until they are playable out of the box without the need of patches.

Now, I agree that in the long run patches can enhance gameplay, but they should not be a necessity to play the basic game.

Originally posted by pistola
Its hard to get a game perfect out of the box. Think about the little testing most games get. A few hundred maybe a thousand people, beta test the unfinished game. Some expericene bugs some don't. The real beta test is the frist released version. Then people report all the bugs, then the first patch comes out. The patch causes more bugs, they are reported, patched again. Its a cycle that all PC games go through. Some are less buggy than others. But I glad EA released the game on time regardless of the bugs, at least they don't claim a game's release, and then push the date back on its release date..... like Half-Life 2..... or Doom III.
Yea well I'd rather play an awesome game delayed a year than a great idea gone crap that came out on time.

You know what? Nobody forced you (people that have not given it a chance to mature) to buy the game and nobody will be forcing you to buy the game. I have been an avid gamer for a long while now. I will be dissapointed if it doesn't run correctly at first but I am patient enough to wait for a patch. To tell you the truth, I am really looking forward to the mods based on the new game more than the game itself. And yes, I do admit to "creaming myself" (come on, thats why you buy a game in the first place, its that great "creaming yourself" feeling, I love it. ;) ) when battlefeild 1942 first came out because it added a dimension that other games hadn't suceeded in adding. That would be interactivity with a (large) variety of vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I am not really defending EA, but as far as I am concerned they did a really nice job on bf1942 so I am probably going to purchase bfv. So to sum it up, you should be playing console games if you can't handle some glitches here and there. Personally I enjoy being on the bleeding edge of gaming (talking about pc's not bfv) and pc's offer that advantage (some may disagree here, thats ok, I dont care). And before you go ranting and raving that I am talking directly to you radeon owners, I am not. I considered very strongly sinking my money into a radeon a short while ago but a good deal for a fx5900 came up. Nvidia has never failed me before and they didn't fail me with this card. Its a great card.

By the way, I am listed as newbie cheese in the forum, but I have been here for a long while. I would say about 5 years if not more than that. I just know that someone will attack my cheezieness and I had to set them straight before they did.

I have seen so many posts like this on various forums its just rediculous. What I REALLY find amusing is how people with these supposed "great" machines cant get the game running smooth when I can with my 2500+ , 512 Kingston Hyper-X, and a 9800 Pro (non oc-ed at the moment). Even with 30+ bots the game runs smooth as can be with no problems encountered. Running the game in 1024x768 w/ everything on high including sound options. Have AA & AF disabled for the time being.

Menu System is fine, its the exact same as BF1942 but instead of having it across the top its along the side. Big whoop! Its gonna kill ya to look at a different part of your screen!

Sound is better then BF1942 and Im still running an old SB Live 5.1 X-Gamer w/ kXaudio sound drivers. Nothing sounds muffled, weapon sounds are excellent. Hearing the rush of napalm surrounding you is nice too :)

ATI problems will be fixed. No doubt about it. Nvidia was having problems as well which is why they put a version of their drivers on the CD. Learn to the read the WHOLE readme. Its not just ATI.

Packaging was kinda goofy for CD2 as well. But instead of breaking the damn thing (real smart there sparky) I depressed each of the tabs and forced them under the CD in a clockwise motion. Took all of 5 seconds.

Solid 70+ FPS on my rig, which is by no means the best that is out there. Runs just as well, if not better then the FarCry beta test did (there were so many god awful issues with that game and all video cards its rediculous).

If your having so many problems. I would highly suggest you take a look at your machines and figure out if something else is going on. Every single clan member I have spoken to has not had a single performance issue with the game and all of their machines range from alittle lower end them mine to extreme high end. Vid cards range from GF3's to 9800 XT's... no problems whatsoever.

Would suggest everyone take opinions found on ANY messageboard with a very LARGE grain of salt and just play the game for yourself.

IMHO Vietnam is much much better then the old BF1942 and its alot of fun. From the new traps, to the vehicles, to the multiple weapon selections, etc. So much new stuff in there and Im sure all the good mods for BF1942 will be porting over. The foliage system and all the new features with the engine are just to much to pass up.

I have have to say its running great on both my systems. I am even able to run it at 1280x940 on my Dell 8200 with Ti4200 which I am useing as a server and was even able to do 1600x1200 on my Ultra everything max. So those with grapics problems I think it may be a problem with ATI cards.

My issues.

Sounds-Its good but you cant realy hear futher away explosions and battles like you could in BF1942/DC. Very Mute and I run an Audigy ZS.

Resloutions- Some do not fit my screen, and by time I stretch them out with the monitor controls to fit the screen its at 100%, so with for instance 1280x940 I have to play with black borders at the sides.

Darkness-Maybe its my monitor but this game is very dak. Anyone else have this issue?

Everything else is pretty cool and I like especially the music and aircraft control compared to DC. And I have to give the EOD boys there just reward because this is not much better than there mod and infact I think EA took some of there ideas and in some cases improved on it.

Back