BF:V Slow Load Times

Tycoonbrad

n00b
Problem: BattleField: Vietnam loads EXTREMELY SLOW compared to similar computers. We play on my friends server via Internet. My ping times are 15ms comapred to my friends 45ms. Both of their computers load a full TWO minutes faster than my computer. One time after finally getting in, one of the players had 35 kills even before I came in.

Goal: Help me find the culrpit of slow load times in BF:V.

My System:
Abit KR7A-Raid w/AMD XP 2000+ w/Via 4in1 Drivers ie Busmastering
DDR2100 512mb Crucial
120Gig WD 8mb Cache
BFG 5900 Nvidia
Windows 2000 SP3

Buddy #1 System:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe w/AMD XP 2000+
DDR2700 512mb Generic
80Gig Maxtor
Geforce TI4200
Windows XP

Buddy #2 System:
Dell Dual AMD w/AMD XP 2000+
DDR2700 1gig
120gig Maxtor
ATI 9700 Pro
Windows XP

Last night I looked in the task manager to see if there was anything hogging resources. I couldn't find anything, but I did have 35 processes running.

What can bog down load times? Are there any tests I can run to figure this out?

35 process? I have 19. I think you may have some spyware running there. Use Ad-aware and/or Spybot to get rid of it.

I use Spybot and Ad-Aware every three days. I'm clean.

Maybe I'll post my processes running and see if we can unload a few things. That stupid Microsoft Messenger just will NOT go away. I know I don't need it for Gamevoice.

I DO need to Defrag my disk. It's been about three months since I last defraged the drive.

By turning off the In-Game Music, Unselected High Quality Audio, and unselected Menu Music, I've cut the load times by 3/4. It's amazingly better than it was.

Tycoonbrad said:
By turning off the In-Game Music, Unselected High Quality Audio, and unselected Menu Music, I've cut the load times by 3/4. It's amazingly better than it was.

Along with that, They both have faster RAM than you do, maybe upgrade your RAM to PC2700 and you will get better load times.

also overclock your 2000+, you will see some improvements also. i ocerclocked my 2600+ and saw a pretty nice difference in loading time in BF1942

Yes post them, Also install adaware and spybot s&d. You should also consider getting a good antivirus. I run zonealarm pro and like it.

I can confirm that your problem is RAM. My friend and I have the same RAM speeds of DDR400, yet he has 1GB and I have 512MB. I even have much lower latencies that him, although his BF:V and other games, load much faster. More RAM will also improve your in-game performance. Your friends may also have better quality hard drives.

you will notice not only slow loads but lock ups during gaming, slowwww frame rates, and you getting own cause you got lock ups and sucky frame rates

i was playing viet on my sister's lappy which has an athlon-m 2500+, >>512mb pc 2700 ram<<, and a sucky radeon igp 320m. i played it on the lowest detial and it didnt have any lock ups or slow frame rates at all.
but when i played viet(same graphic settings as the lappy) on my rig which has >>256mb pc2700 ram<<, even 2600+ OCed, radeon 9200 OCed. i got frequent lock ups and slowww frame rates

so you get the point :)

I agree more ram would help, but I don't know if upgrading to PC2700 ram would help. Since my processor is an AMD 2000+ XP and runs at 266Mhz, I would assume getting ram over pc2100 (266Mhz) wouldn't help. I've read it's better to run your ram the same speed as your CPU's speed (AKA Syncronous). I could be wrong, but that's what I've been reading. Now, if the PC2700 memory was a low-latency 2-2-2-5, I could see that helping.

When i get home from work, I REALLY need to post my processes.

Tycoonbrad said:
I agree more ram would help, but I don't know if upgrading to PC2700 ram would help. Since my processor is an AMD 2000+ XP and runs at 266Mhz, I would assume getting ram over pc2100 (266Mhz) wouldn't help. I've read it's better to run your ram the same speed as your CPU's speed (AKA Syncronous). I could be wrong, but that's what I've been reading. Now, if the PC2700 memory was a low-latency 2-2-2-5, I could see that helping.

When i get home from work, I REALLY need to post my processes.
that is my problem as well with my 2400+. i have 2x 256 mb pc2700 crucial that i underclocked to 2100 and running aggressive timings. although i was thinking of getting another 512 to get a gig.

Back