Beyond Good & Evil 2 Will Require a Constant Internet Connection

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Ubisoft’s Beyond Good & Evil 2 team addressed a number of questions regarding their follow up to 2003’s cult classic in a blog post yesterday. One fan was concerned whether the game would require an internet connection even in solo mode, and to the dismay of many, the developers revealed the game would only be playable online. While the original title was a single-player, story-driven epic, the sequel is designed around multiplayer features.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op and seamless experience. As such, the game will only be playable with an internet connection in order to have seamless navigation, receive dynamic updates, and play with friends (which is certainly better when you're playing as a Space Pirate!). The choice to play co-op, however, remains yours to make, so playing BGE2 solo is absolutely possible if you're into that lone Space Pirate kinda thing...

Last edited:
Ubisoft’s Beyond Good & Evil 2 team addressed a number of questions regarding their follow up to 2003’s cult classic in a blog post week. One fan was concerned whether the game would require an internet connection even in solo mode, and to the dismay of many fans, the developers revealed the game would only be playable online. While the original title was a single-player, story-driven epic, the sequel is designed around multiplayer features.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op and seamless experience. As such, the game will only be playable with an internet connection in order to have seamless navigation, receive dynamic updates, and play with friends (which is certainly better when you're playing as a Space Pirate!). The choice to play co-op, however, remains yours to make, so playing BGE2 solo is absolutely possible if you're into that lone Space Pirate kinda thing...
Yet another reason I will be avoiding this one

lulz.....haven't these developers learned anything? It will bomb.

In the first one, to get one of the pearls, you had to go online to a website. Of course the website has been gone for many years. So when they shut down the servers after 1-2 years, will the game be unplayable?

In the first one, to get one of the pearls, you had to go online to a website. Of course the website has been gone for many years. So when they shut down the servers after 1-2 years, will the game be unplayable?
I do believe that was patched/changed in the HD release, and I also think that previous Ubisoft games requiring always online have also relaxed that requirement over time/backlash?

So it’s ubisoft’s stab at the destiny styled game market.

Goodbye sales, that fad is over.

Of course that didn’t stop Bethesda and EA from also trying. Fallout 76 being a flop and then Anthem a soon to be flop.

So it’s ubisoft’s stab at the destiny styled game market.

Goodbye sales, that fad is over.

Of course that didn’t stop Bethesda and EA from also trying. Fallout 76 being a flop and then Anthem a soon to be flop.
FO76 never struck me as a Destiny type of game. Still doesn't. Having played Anthem, it may actually set itself apart from Destiny. Don't know if it will flop or not, but that's neither here nor there.

I'll be passing on this one. I don't play online games and don't see a need for the internet connection. Besides that, what happens when the servers are shut down? I'm left with nothing.

Cool, wonder how many years before it shuts down and no one can play it again.

I never played the original, and I guess O won't play this one either.

I'm an adult now and have responsibilities. I don't have the time to deal with online games anymore.

I need games I can power on, play for a short time and turn off on no notice without any consequences. Adding online players complicates things too much.

In fact, even games without manual saves you can save at any time tend to enfuriate me. Checkpoint style saves in games need to die in a fire.

Didn't the launch of Diablo 3 suffer a kerfuffle due to the requirement to always be online to play? Crap like this is why I still enjoy firing up Unreal Tournament 2004, playing for 20 minutes or so, then moving on with my day.

oh well no great loss. Game does not even look and feel like the original

oh and tq Ubisoft for taking a crap on your customers

Many years ago tried to replay the first game, but my very original software could not be activated, probably due to the activation servers being killed..... If its cheap enough, I guess its ok.. I don't really 'buy games' expecting that I 'own' them anymore if I honest.

I often wonder if any of these companies do any sort of customer surveying to gauge these kinds of decisions before bull-dozering forward on the idea - i.e. only online play, etc; but then I remind myself that they'll probably just use it to leverage paid DLC. I mean, I don't mind multi-player as an option, but I miss the days of being able to host your own local LAN server. Still often attend 5-10 person LAN parties every month or two and it seems ridiculous that everybody is all bouncing out to the Internet just to play with the rest of the folks sitting in the same room.

Back