Beyerdynamic DT 770 vs Beats by Dre

Om1zzle

Limp Gawd
I have had my Sennheiser HD280s for about 3 years now and I think its about time I got some new headphones. I can get the Beats for about $150ish but I hear the DT770s are really nice as well.

I listen to Rap/hip hop mostly on my ipod and my computer (xfi plat. sound card)

I would like closed headphones with a bit of bass.

There is a Guitar Center nearby...If I get the 770s can I return them if I dont like them?

I have heard that Guitar Center has a great return policy as long as you have the receipt. That being said I think you will find that most people on these audio forums have a pretty low opinion about Beats by Dr. Dre and Skull Candy headphones. While I can't speak about the Dr. Dre headphones (since I have never heard them) I can say that the DT770s are very good headphones for bassheads and seem to have a cult following. If you're ever bored Google "Darth Beyer" and I think you'll be intrigued by what turns up.

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Sennheiser HD-25-1 II

/Thread

They dont sit around the ear like the Beyer dynamics or the Beats by dre, but they are extreme quality. Beats by dre are probably the worst headphones ive ever seen. Needing a battery in order to use the headphone is major fail. Then theres noise cancelling. I hate the feel of noise canceling and a pair of headphones with good isolation should be enough.

The Beats aren't as bad as Bose cans or anything, but they're definitely overpriced. My HD-25s performs on par in the bass department and crushes them otherwise.

Well, I have used the beats a bit and there are a few pros and cons:

Pros:
looks
bass/sound
active noise cancelling
comfortable

Cons:
Too light imo, they feel cheap
batteries to use
active noise cancelling
music bleeds out of the headphones

That being said, I would like some phones with better passive noise cancelling with something with bass that matches the beats but doesnt cut in other areas. Something that looks nice definitely wouldnt hurt either.

Anyway, are there any other phones I should look into? How comfortable are the 770s after a few hours? My 280s were like vices...

Last edited:
DT770s are pretty comfy IMO, and you can tweak the tension a little if necessary.

If you're worried about outward isolation, are these for portable use?

Yes, these are entirely for home use. I have closed headphones now, so I would like to stick with this style.

Also, from what I understand, I should get the 80ohm 770s if I dont want an amp?

Edit: I suppose if its for home use I wouldnt be opposed to getting an amp as well, just as long as the headphones/amp together are $200 or less. Do amps make a big difference?

I got the 80ohm DT770s and plug them into Zune for listening to music at work. Setup is great. Previously used HD580s. DT770s have much better sounding bass. I can wear the DT770s all day with no issue. HD580s would just barely touch my ear but enough that they'd be in pain after hours of use. HD580s oddly made my ears much hotter... doesn't seem to make sense but thats my experience.

I saw the Beats... really looked a little gimmicky. Doesn't mean they're bad necessary but really, some of the cost is going to pay for gimmicky crap rather than function.

And BTW I've found all (active) noise cancellation to be crap. Nothing beats in ear phones like ER6. I bought them to use on plane flights and its just so much better than any active noise cancellation phones I've tried. I think I tried one cheapo Sennheiser and one of the older model Bose.

I havent heard anyone say that Beats were better than 770s, so I may try them instead, especially if GC will return them if I dont like them.

And I am a big fan of earbuds as well. I have Bose in Ear, but I had to send them back because the left bud went out. I tried the in ear Beats and they made my ears HURT. I have pretty small ears and the Beats were really long as well.

I think I'll probably stick to the Bose for now, until I can work up the courage to try some other IEMs

OMG SOMEONE SAID BOSE, QUICK 1000 posts saying bose sucks! OMG and MICRO$OFT w/ dollar sign! Lets throw some of those in for the hell of it too!

Either of you two idiots try the Bose IE phones?

Go to head-fi if you want and look for opinions of them. You'll also have to wade through a shti ton of "BOSE IS CRAP" posts but everyone who has them says they're fine. 'Real' IEMs isolate sound better and generally sound better but they go further in your ear canal and many find them too uncomfortable. I'd take the Bose ones over any ear buds if I couldn't stand 'real' IEMs-- and really I'm not that far from that, I only put up with IEMs when flying. Bose in-ears also have decent bass.

OMG SOMEONE SAID BOSE, QUICK 1000 posts saying bose sucks! OMG and MICRO$OFT w/ dollar sign! Lets throw some of those in for the hell of it too!

Either of you two idiots try the Bose IE phones?

Go to head-fi if you want and look for opinions of them. You'll also have to wade through a shti ton of "BOSE IS CRAP" posts but everyone who has them says they're fine. 'Real' IEMs isolate sound better and generally sound better but they go further in your ear canal and many find them too uncomfortable. I'd take the Bose ones over any ear buds if I couldn't stand 'real' IEMs-- and really I'm not that far from that, I only put up with IEMs when flying. Bose in-ears also have decent bass.

Maybe I'd have an easier time sorting out your point if your tone was less argumentative...

I really like my Bose In Ears, great sound

EDIT: Got the 770s today, they are unreal

Last edited:
I really like my Bose In Ears, great sound

EDIT: Got the 770s today, they are unreal

How much did you find them for and from where? This thread has got me thinking about getting a pair and I was looking at the Beats by Dre as well

How much did you find them for and from where? This thread has got me thinking about getting a pair and I was looking at the Beats by Dre as well

Well here's what happened to me:

I originally had the Beats, but when I got them, the left side was DOA. Before I returned them, I decided to listen to them for a bit to see if I even wanted another pair.

I could tell off the bad that they felt a little plasticy and I wasnt happy about the whole AAA battery thing. Also, they didn't contain sound very well. However, I definitely liked the sound.

So I made this thread, read online, etc etc and finally decided on the 770s. I went to Guitar Center after work and got them for $171.20 after tax.

Normally, they cost $200 at GC, but I found a 20% off coupon... here it is:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/457/gccoupon.jpg

Anyway, I am really happy with my purchase and I definitely like them more than I liked the Beats. They sound better than the beats and I would venture to say the bass in these guys is better than the bass in the Beats. The 770s are also really comfortable.

Keep in mind that the coupon is only good until the 21st, so you should decide soon.

You can also sometimes find them for $100-150 by looking for used gear, eBay outlet sales, et cetera.

You can also sometimes find them for $100-150 by looking for used gear, eBay outlet sales, et cetera.

Yeah, I think the Beyerdynamic actually sells some of their refurb 770s on ebay for like $99 Buy it Now. However, I dont think there is any sort of warranty/guaruntee on them.

Yeah, I think the Beyerdynamic actually sells some of their refurb 770s on ebay for like $99 Buy it Now. However, I dont think there is any sort of warranty/guaruntee on them.

Yeah on a purchase of something like these I would prob want a warranty. Appreciate the insight, saved me a purchase I might regret. I only care about what quality I can hear (I dont have those *golden* ears some do), but I do like quality products, a lot of bass and dont honestly care if others hear my music (as proven by the sound system in my car :D)

I love my 770 Pro's. The most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. I was getting tired of crappy plasticy cheap POS headphones I had been buying for no more than 50 bucks. I read around online and the one mentioned most for bass were the 770's. Paid $200 but well worth the money if you ask me.

I love my 770 Pro's. The most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. I was getting tired of crappy plasticy cheap POS headphones I had been buying for no more than 50 bucks. I read around online and the one mentioned most for bass were the 770's. Paid $200 but well worth the money if you ask me.

Definitely. These are way better than the HD280 Pros and the Beats. Definitely happy about the purchase

DT770's are awesome. Listened to the beats by dre, I own the 770's. Beats have just a bit more bass, but it just doesn't sound right. The 770's have more of a punch in my opinion. Factor in comfort and build quality, and you have yourself a nice set of cans.

So I made this thread, read online, etc etc and finally decided on the 770s. I went to Guitar Center after work and got them for $171.20 after tax.

Normally, they cost $200 at GC, but I found a 20% off coupon... here it is:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/457/gccoupon.jpg

Eh, $200 is an exceptionally bad price for a pair of 770's. Many are successful just haggling for the price on the phones there. I went into my GC and they were marked at $200. I told the salesman I'd buy them for $150 and he agreed without much hesitation. You can also get them online for much less than $200.

Nice choice on the 770's. They both have plenty of bass but while the beats remind me of a $15 fleamarket one-note car subwoofer, the 770's remind me more of a nice home theater subwoofer in a good room.

I have listened to the Monster Beats and both my beyerdynamic DT990pro and ATH-M50 beat them and cost over $100.00 less in Canada than the Beats. audio-technica ATH-M50 are also closed headphone with good isolation if that is what you want and cost me $200.00 CAD so should only be about $150.00 USD or less. I actually like the SQ of ATH-M50 a bit better then DT990pro. DT990pro are more comfortable though for really long listening sessions.

Haha Bose rears its head yet again. Well, the thing is the in-ears don't sound bad, but there's better out there for the same price point.

Back on topic, I heard the Dr. Dre Beats at BB awhile back and I thought they were okay. The bass was pretty impressive, tho a bit too boomy, but it did go down pretty deep. The main problem were the highs were overextended and way too shrill. Hurt my ears after just a couple minutes. The noise cancelling feature did a very impressive job blocking out exterior noise, but I could literally feel the pressure from the dampening noise.

For the price, DT 770 beats out Dr. Dre Beats

probably for the sound quality as well

::Chuckles:: Just wait till you have about 200 hours in.. The bass mellows out a bit, and the staging for your mids definately improves by quite a bit. I personally recommed running some white noise (you can find them by googling "white noise generators", or by looping a playlist of a variety of music at moderate volume) to break in your can's a bit faster.

Next step.... a decent amp (I know, I know, it's only 80ohms, but common... lets corrupt this guy while he is good a mallable).

Thats what started me off once I left the onboard sound with creative headphones... Then you'll be finding yourself on head-fi more often, and slowing building up audiophile stuff.. Hell, I just bought an Audio-GD compass (loving it!!), and I'm waiting on XXXXXXX to ship my Denon D7000's to replace my Headroom Mini Amp + 770Pro (250 Ohm).

Eventually I do want to get a good headphone amp to find out if they make that much of a difference.

Back