Beware the Bling (RGB) on your HyperX SSD

How in the living hell did that get through QC?

Because the marketing manager said “Company X has 25 LED’s in their product, we’ll be 3x better if we put 75!!!
Pretty much. Someone didn't do their homework, this is one of the biggest PC engineering fails I've seen since...pentium bug? Stolen capacitor formulas? Lead free solder?
As an LED/optics type, reason they went for 75 is because it cost too much to do it with a better design, or the engineering team is incompetent.
Even a simple edge-lit diffuser would likely do okay, instead they went with lots of cheap inefficient leds and someone probably looked at the datasheet and went "what is max drive current? fuck efficiency curves, leds use no power".
Then considering the lack of heatsinking, probably incompetence and or marketing also clashed there. The problem is likely solvable with proper thermal design practices, but then you don't easily fit to the standard format for 2.5" drives, due to heatsinking/extra material nor budget in a relatively low margin market and you end up here. 2019, an RGB SSD overheats with water cooling.
I'd love to get one and turn the leds off to see how much of a difference it makes if at all, as the LED system is being a big plastic insulator too on one side.
edit: a less 'blame the engineers' response

fury-rgb-side.jpg

With credit to Unboxingtreatment for showing both sides. https://www.unboxingtreatment.com/2019/01/unboxing-review-hyperx-fury-rgb-480gb-sata-ssd.html

Last edited:
I swear I read somewhere that while having a heatsink on the flash controller is not a bad idea, having one on the flash chips can actually be counter-productive for long term write endurance depending on the overall system profile.

I'd love to get one and turn the leds off to see how much of a difference it makes if at all, as the LED system is being a big plastic insulator too on one side.

He turns them of in the vid, drops almost instantly 11 degrees C to start with.

I dont get it what LED did kingston used? HID? i thought leds that were used for cosmetic purposes didnt produce much heat, but this makes me change my POV, will current LED affect GPU and CPU temps? most of todays GPU have leds... :(

I dont get it what LED did kingston used? HID? i thought leds that were used for cosmetic purposes didnt produce much heat, but this makes me change my POV, will current LED affect GPU and CPU temps? most of todays GPU have leds... :(
Not on gpu level they have far bigger Cooling systems. This is basically uncooled and hence a few watts is a big difference.

Are the LEDs designed for 5V and he plugged them into 12V? Unless you overdrive LEDs severely, they don't heat up like that.

Back