Beware of XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition

On November 26th, I bought an XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB (RX-580P8DFD6) from Amazon. The card was on sale for a special price of $189.

After I installed the card and plugged in the monitor (ASUS VG248QE) via DisplayPort, it started buzzing, despite the fact the PC was completely cut of power.

Then the entire PC began to misbehave (random "CPU overclocking failed" errors during POST, PC automatically powered up after shutdown).

Before the XFX RX 580, I was using GTX 970, everything was perfectly fine. I'm using UPS, all devices are grounded. PSU (Seasonic S12G-750) in a perfect condition.

I tried different DP cable, different monitor, different hardware, different outlet without UPS, but the buzzing at S5 never stopped. Therefore, I contacted Amazon and requested a replacement.

Clipboard02.jpg

I received the replacement before I sent the card back. It was brand new, in a sealed box. And guess what... same problem, and even worse! The case fans keep spinning when the PC is off and power cable completely disconnected.

It appears the card is channeling voltage from the monitor to the PSU +12v rail. The issue is limited to DisplayPort. DVI and HDMI work fine.

Don't believe me? Watch for yourselves.

1st DP cable (came bundled with a monitor)

2nd DP cable (purchased recently)

Photo of both DP cables:

20181227_153931.jpg

Both DP and DVI outputs were damaged while making this video. HDMI still works.

Probably a bad batch of cards. If someone has a contact in XFX, please let them know about it.

Thats crazy, and when you unplug the DP cable the fans go off? Have you tried with any DP adapters to see if it has the same issue with or without?

this is the reason why only certified displayport cables should be used, as uncertified ones have the 20th pin active, transferring power from the monitor to the GPU and from the GPU to the motherboard..

Considering the amount of XFX 580's out there I wonder why we havent heard more of this.

Or is it really a cable issue as posted above?

A

I also bought one of these, mine ran at 100% fan speed all the time and the display blacked out every 2-3 seconds. It was installed for about 20-30 minutes before I put it back in the box and sent it back .

I also bought one of these, mine ran at 100% fan speed all the time and the display blacked out every 2-3 seconds. It was installed for about 20-30 minutes before I put it back in the box and sent it back .

Display Port or HDMI?

A

For anyone who is reading this thread, insofar as the recent XFX RX580 series is concerned, stay far, far away from them. I went through 3 from Best Buy and they all had issues. (Not doing the clocks out of the box, black screen flashing, corrupted bios screen and the like.) Instead, pick up the Powercolor Red Devil RX580.

I bought this one from Microcenter: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131713 and it has a 6 and 8 pin power connector.

OC and Stock Time Spy

A

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-30-10-40-04.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-30-10-40-04.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2018-12-30-10-38-11.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-30-10-38-11.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Considering the amount of XFX 580's out there I wonder why we havent heard more of this.

Or is it really a cable issue as posted above?

A

I tried 2 DP cables, one came bundled with some monitor, the other purchased separately and supposed to be DP 1.4 certified.

Possibly a bad batch, I've seen a few reviews on Amazon mentioning 'electric sparks' and such.

And yes, it is the same card you linked to. If you overclocking, try to undervolt to reach higher clock, I noticed the card is being overvolt by default.

Thats crazy, and when you unplug the DP cable the fans go off? Have you tried with any DP adapters to see if it has the same issue with or without?

Yes... also doesn't happen with DVI. I tried some adapters, made a minor improvement, but I sent the card back already.

Reactions: Auer
like this
OC and Stock Time Spy

A

Thanks, you managed to get a good one. The one I had was supposed to get 1405 out of the box and did not. Also, I would get black screen flashes from all 3 cards that I tried.

like this
Thanks, you managed to get a good one. The one I had was supposed to get 1405 out of the box and did not. Also, I would get black screen flashes from all 3 cards that I tried.

Hopefully there are a lot more like mine out there.

It sucks to get faulty products no matter what it is.

But based on my own limited experience I would buy XFX again.

A

Sorry for hijacking this thread but since my issue appears to be an RX 580 issue, I will ask here: Anyone have stuck 3d clocks after exiting a game? (Not memory, just gpu.) For instance, with Gears of War 4 and how did you fix it? Thanks.

Hopefully there are a lot more like mine out there.

It sucks to get faulty products no matter what it is.

But based on my own limited experience I would buy XFX again.

A

I have an XFX RX 570 RS 8GB card that I bought in September and it runs without issues. It just seems to be an across the board issue with recently released XFX RX 580 cards, which is why I cannot recommend them.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but since my issue appears to be an RX 580 issue, I will ask here: Anyone have stuck 3d clocks after exiting a game? (Not memory, just gpu.) For instance, with Gears of War 4 and how did you fix it? Thanks.

Latest drivers are somehow buggy. Its better to stick to previous drivers from 2-3 months ago.

I tried 2 DP cables, one came bundled with some monitor, the other purchased separately and supposed to be DP 1.4 certified.

Possibly a bad batch, I've seen a few reviews on Amazon mentioning 'electric sparks' and such.

And yes, it is the same card you linked to. If you overclocking, try to undervolt to reach higher clock, I noticed the card is being overvolt by default.

Yes... also doesn't happen with DVI. I tried some adapters, made a minor improvement, but I sent the card back already.
If it's not in this DB then it isn't certified. Manufacturers spoof the DP logo and stamp all the time.

https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

like this
Back