Beware of punk buster!

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
Installed a bunch of games today and all of a sudden everything started to stutter so I tried all recent forceware drivers, updated intel sata drivers, realtek drivers etc. to no avail. Researched/installed/unistalled recent windows hotfixes to no avail. Ran antivirus scanners 2 times and wasted 3-4 hours in the process

Then I notice this sneaky program installed that apparently scans all memory random when games run (to prevent online cheats apparently), uninstalled this and everything is smooth again.

This thing had me pulling my hair out - just a friendly heads to all those who may be the victim of this bs program.

Was it while you were playing a game?

If so, it's had occasional bugs (this happened in BF3 recently) where it starts taking frame after frame of screencaps. Usually this gets fixed in a day or two. Quite a few games (especially those with online content) need punkbuster installed to allow you to join most the servers. though you can often do without it.

Yeah PunkBuster has been around for almost 13 years now. I've personally never had any problems with it, that I was aware of at least.

Installed a bunch of games today and all of a sudden everything started to stutter so I tried all recent forceware drivers, updated intel sata drivers, realtek drivers etc. to no avail. Researched/installed/unistalled recent windows hotfixes to no avail. Ran antivirus scanners 2 times and wasted 3-4 hours in the process

Then I notice this sneaky program installed that apparently scans all memory random when games run (to prevent online cheats apparently), uninstalled this and everything is smooth again.

This thing had me pulling my hair out - just a friendly heads to all those who may be the victim of this bs program.

is this the first online game you've ever played or something? there is no possible way you could of gone this long and not know what punkbuster is or how it works..

Yeah PunkBuster has been around for almost 13 years now. I've personally never had any problems with it, that I was aware of at least.

Only problem i've had with it was in RO2, but I think that was more the developers or the implimentation. It would just randomly kick people for things like running ("speedhack") and often just because of "reasons". :D

Don't they still use the partA and partB.
partA is set to run all the time and partB only runs when you play a PB game.
Is partB running all the time in task mgr?
They said a long time ago that partA was just there to launch partB if you ran a pb enabled game.
BS they should not load anything until you run a game and then quit when the game does.
typical we can do what we want. you can turn off partA or manual so it won't boot until a pb enabled game is loaded then it sets itself back to auto. TYPICAL

I also experienced slow downs thanks to PB, even though I wasnt running a PB game. I just prevent PB from running now until I startup a game requiring it.

PB is garbage, I remember the first month of BF3 was plagued by this bullshit and caused me to be consistantly kicked from servers for version mismatch or some other weird PB issue. Everyone should stick to using VAC.

The only problem I've had is with specific games requiring different versions and causing issues with each other. Been a few years since I last saw that however.

Have been having issues with pb since bf1942. Its garbage and there seems to always be something wrong depending in which game. In bf1942 it was not being allowed to connect to games on certain computers. In most other games out is a mixture of getting kicked or not letting you join games even when using a current version of pb.

"Beware of punkbuster" sir I'm afraid you're infringing trademark on every gamer since what pre-COD4? yes Punkbuster has always been complete garbage. That's just life though. Can't play generic shooters without it I'm sorry to say.

Only problem I've had with Punk Buster is that it kicked me off a server of a game because I had a Macro on to auto shutdown my computer.

Back