Beware of Exploding Gigabyte PSU's being Dumped by Newegg in Forced Bundles

What is wrong with drives from Newegg?
I ordered $300 raid edition drives from Newegg, and they came loose in a box with no packaging.

Shipped the way an idiot would ship a hardrive.

Shipped the way that if you sent a drive in for RMA to the manufacturer, they would void your warranty and return it unrepaired.

After that, no more HD purchases from Newegg for me. Never. And really, they are a last resort for anything else. They've even sold suspect Kryonaut that was 30% cheaper than everywhere else but also lacked the proof of authenticity. Good chance they are selling known counterfeit products...

That's not to say that there haven't been counterfeit items on Amazon, but Newegg has to know that's suspect, yet still sells it. They should be more trustworthy being a specialty retailer, and they've been failing in so many ways that is it inexcusable.
It's mostly a historical problem at this point.

They used to package hard drives very poorly, and would thus have a much higher than industry average failure rate.

I feel like they fixed this almost a decade ago at this point though, but I can understand that if you've received a bad drive or one that fails shortly after you start using it, it can leave a bad taste in your mouth for some time.

Last time I upgraded the NAS drives I split them (12 drives) evenly between Amazon, B&H and Newegg. As I recall they all arrived in good packaging and none suffered premature failures.
I still will not buy a hardrive from Newegg ever again.

Newegg was popular in the early 2000's for having good customer service and for being an [H] sponsor.

Now, it is Amazon that has the superior customer service, in every way. And Amazon ships hardrives double boxed.
Newegg also has the bundling practice, which is just a way to get rid of shit no one wants. And on top of all of that, they are bundling known bad product, that not only has a high chance of failure, but also has a high chance of damaging other components.

Seems like a class action lawsuit is overdue against both Gigabyte and Newegg.

Someone will say "Don't shop there", and I do not. That still doesn't excuse their behavior.

I've seen cards alone in the shuffle, tried a couple times but I gave up. Also the shuffle is early for me, so I am not going to set an alarm just for that, but if I'm up I usually do check it.

In any case, I got my card on ebay since I was done with waiting and the whole rigmarole of trying and failing to buy a card at MSRP.

All 3000 series cards are only offered in a bundle, no 3000 series GPU's are sold by new egg solo, if you want to buy a 3000 series GPU from them you MUST buy it as part of a bundle, no other options. Those who found a workaround on their mobile app quickly had their orders cancelled and the mobile app was patched to close the loophole.

No where does it say you are required to buy any product. If you don't like it pass on it, but forcing you newegg is not.

I ordered $300 raid edition drives from Newegg, and they came loose in a box with no packaging.

Shipped the way that if you sent a drive in for RMA to the manufacturer, they would void your warranty and return it unrepaired.

After that, no more HD purchases from Newegg for me. Never. And really, they are a last resort for anything else. They've even sold suspect Kryonaut that was 30% cheaper than everywhere else but also lacked the proof of authenticity. Good chance they are selling known counterfeit products...

That's not to say that there haven't been counterfeit items on Amazon, but Newegg has to know that's suspect, yet still sells it. They should be more trustworthy being a specialty retailer, and they've been failing in so many ways that is it inexcusable.

Newegg was popular in the early 2000's for having good customer service and for being an [H] sponsor.

Now, it is Amazon that has the superior customer service, in every way. And Amazon ships hardrives double boxed.
Newegg also has the bundling practice, which is just a way to get rid of shit no one wants. And on top of all of that, they are bundling known bad product, that not only has a high chance of failure, but also has a high chance of damaging other components.

Someone will say "Don't shop there", and I do not. That still doesn't excuse their behavior.
I have a New Egg horror story as well, which took a year to resolve, and a small legal team, we no longer do business with them at all switched to CDW and Best Buy Business for our individual parts and I don't see us changing any time soon.

Not even remotely close. A dual PCB design that is hard to deal with when you go inside, cooled by 80mm fan. What would actually be closer to perfection would be something of the size of the old AX860i, with its specs, and without a few of its tidbits.
Well where two AX1200s utterly failed to power my SR-2 box circa 2011 these HCPs did it flawlessly without hiccup. I went through six sets (12 PSUs total) and the AX1200s just didn't keep the Areca 1880s happy (constant 3.3V low alarms). The AX1200s worked fine in other systems and some are still running today. Nice thing about those (Antecs) is over the years I never had to go inside of them. :cool:

Sold and shipped by NewEgg? They're a marketplace seller like Amazon, so you have to watch for who you're actually buying from. I've not had any issues with NewEgg for over 15 years and it's still my go-to for PC parts.

Newegg has had their fair share of such stuff too... with the empty CPU boxes, snake oil EMI reduction PCI cards and for this place, the shaft they gave to Hardocp. They stopped supporting the links back some 10 years ago, and gave the bad motor finger to this site. Screw them.

I hope this is true, but back in Nov they announced that they were going to start only putting them in bundles to "discourage scalping" and articles from other news sources have been piling on as recently they made the 3080's and 3090's only available as part of their PC building service, which is where the article about the 11 year old figuring out how to order just the card through their mobile app came from.
I can't speak for all their shuffles, but I was watching them for a couple months while I was looking for a PS5 and the cards were part of bundles more often than not. I think I only saw them by themselves once or twice. But that was back in April/May, so that could be changing. That said, while it's true you don't have to buy from Newegg, supply is still scarce and it's scummy that Newegg tries to foist their unwanted garbage onto folks who are desperate for a 3000 series card.

I can't speak for all their shuffles, but I was watching them for a couple months while I was looking for a PS5 and the cards were part of bundles more often than not. I think I only saw them by themselves once or twice. But that was back in April/May, so that could be changing. That said, while it's true you don't have to buy from Newegg, supply is still scarce and it's scummy that Newegg tries to foist their unwanted garbage onto folks who are desperate for a 3000 series card.
Todays shuffle has 4 cards that aren't bundled. It was the same for the last shuffle.

Todays shuffle has 4 cards that aren't bundled. It was the same for the last shuffle.

Those are mostly if not exclusively EVGA or brands that do not make PSUs.

Yes, you are correct that nobody is forcing you to buy a bundle, but it is still one of the most reliable ways to have a chance to buy a card. The average person who is not going to spend all day looking for a card is likely going to have their best chance to buy one using the shuffle and new egg knows this and is peddling trash.

See also, a video card with a super overpriced water cooling motherboard with a last generation chipset or very expensive gaming monitor.

All 3000 series cards are only offered in a bundle, no 3000 series GPU's are sold by new egg solo, if you want to buy a 3000 series GPU from them you MUST buy it as part of a bundle, no other options. Those who found a workaround on their mobile app quickly had their orders cancelled and the mobile app was patched to close the loophole.
100% wrong. check yesterday and today’s shuffles. There have been and still are generally several cards not in a bundle on several times per week. Today the stand alone cards are:

EVGA 3060
MSI 3060ti
EVGA 3070ti

100% wrong. check yesterday and today’s shuffles. There have been and still are generally several cards not in a bundle on several times per week. Today the stand alone cards are:

EVGA 3060
MSI 3060ti
EVGA 3070ti

Historically, the stand alone cards until recently have also included a bundled version of the card. It is impossible to know what percentage of the cards sold by NE were solo vs. bundled. It is in NE's and the manufacturers best interest to move "dead" stock via bundle when the card is going to sell anyway. I would imagine that the solo allotment is minimal compared to the bundle.

Also, the vast majority of cards offered since the shuffle began have been in bundles. I don't think that's really debatable. The exceptions are usually launch day of a new product (see the 6600XT launch this week) and manufacturers that do not have items to bundle (Zotac).

I have a Gigabyte G750H which is for sure much better quality then these cheapies.... not top shelf but decent. Its been very stable for a few years now. I don't know why companies like Gigabyte cheap out and put their names on such garbage. The G750H is a decent quality PSU it might not be in the A+ tier that gets recommended but I don't believe they where blowing up or destroying hardware on the regular. The G has been a good bang for the buck for 3 or 4 years now. These newer units are clearly ewaste.

Really stupid on their part... it looked at one point like they where going to have a decent PSU business and they have now flushed that for a little bit of extra profit. At this point they might as well give up the market... they will never be able to sell even mid range PSUs again. Even though I have knock on wood had no issues with this G750 I won't even consider a PSU Gigabyte again. Next go I imagine I'll be back to seasonic or if its a more budget build a mid rangeish Corasir.

That one was a decent CWT platform I actually considered buying for one of my own builds, but ended up with a Seasonic Focus.

Those are mostly if not exclusively EVGA or brands that do not make PSUs.

Yes, you are correct that nobody is forcing you to buy a bundle, but it is still one of the most reliable ways to have a chance to buy a card. The average person who is not going to spend all day looking for a card is likely going to have their best chance to buy one using the shuffle and new egg knows this and is peddling trash.

See also, a video card with a super overpriced water cooling motherboard with a last generation chipset or very expensive gaming monitor.

Lol, those goal posts just keep on moving.

CWT !=decent
We'll their quality varies that's for sure. The mid range Corasirs that use CWT are decent. The early gigabyte CWT units seem decent. (as I said 2 years in on my earlier CWT built Gigabyte and not one power hicup in that time its been quite and reliable)
CWT will build whatever its customers are willing to pay for... which is the problem. They are not above producing shit if that is all Thermaltake Corsair or Gigabyte is looking for. The mid range CWT built units seem to be about as reliable as anyones mid range units ime.

Should you spend the little bit extra though to get a mid upper range Seasonic instead... probably.

Actually that platform was a fairly good one used in some other name and not as brand name stuff, didn't have the transient tidbits of the Focus platform either. I fell like I should have gotten one instead of the Strix.

I've been perfectly happy with my Gigabyte mobo, but for whatever reason I've always considered their other products sub-par.

Used to be a big fan of Asus but I've heard enough horror stories about their support that I no longer seek them out. I'd still buy an Asus product if it was well reviewed.

My last 4 PSUs have all been Corsair. The oldest, a TX750 has been in use for 12 years and still going strong. That said, no company is perfect. Corsair iCue software is absolutely horrendous and caused horrible system instability for me.

Last edited:
I'm not hell bent on anything but putting people in their place for straight lying. Sorry, if the truth offends you.

So, you're really going to sit there and proclaim its a truth that MOST things aren't bundles in the Newegg shuffle? Or that the Gigabyte cards have been offered without bundles (this thread is about Gigabyte afterall)? Or that the Gigabyte PSU (or monitor or motherboard) is somehow worth the added cost? Or that Gigabyte cards are readily available at another source? Or that Newegg's business practice benefits the consumer?

The only thing you've successfully pointed out in an unflatteringly sanctimonious way is that no one is forcing you to buy the bundle and that Newegg does occasionally sell non-bundled items. Congratulations. You can step down from your soap box.

Last edited:
So, you're really going to sit there and proclaim its a truth that MOST things aren't bundles in the Newegg shuffle? Or that the Gigabyte cards have been offered without bundles (this thread is abouit Gigabyte afterall)? Or that the Gigabyte PSU (or monitor or motherboard) is somehow worth the added cost? Or that Gigabyte cards are readily available at another source? Or that Newegg's business practice benefits the consumer?

The only thing you've successfully pointed out in an unflatteringly sanctimonious way is that no one is forcing you to buy the bundle and that Newegg does occasionally sell non-bundled items. Congratulations. You can step down from your soap box.

Lol, this is a joke of a post. Welcome to the list.

So, you're really going to sit there and proclaim its a truth that MOST things aren't bundles in the Newegg shuffle? Or that the Gigabyte cards have been offered without bundles (this thread is about Gigabyte afterall)? Or that the Gigabyte PSU (or monitor or motherboard) is somehow worth the added cost? Or that Gigabyte cards are readily available at another source? Or that Newegg's business practice benefits the consumer?

Gigabyte cards are available at microcenter. I could drive over and buy a 1030 right now without a combo right now.
Now, if you want a 30X0 card, you’ll have to show up at 4am a couple weeks in a row to get a particular model. Less if you’re flexible.

I cant remember the last time i walked into newegg and bought a gpu :p
The fact that gigabyte ts tried to act as tho there wasnt an issue with this psu after a respected reviewer contacted them speaks volumes. They deserve whatever is coming to them.
Of course Newegg isnt blameless. They know this hunk a junk isnt worth the cardboard its wrapped up in. If they were honestly concerned with their customers, even a little bit, they would bite the bullet and ship these time bombs right back to gigabyte.

I mean it could even be criminal. If someone got hurt (let us say a fire started and you burnt to a crisp), and both Gigabyte and Newegg knew of the issue, well, that could be a huge problem.

See Ford Pinto:

Even if not criminal, definitely class action lawsuit territory. Not to mention damage to their reputation and PR fallout. Just seems stupid to not just pull it from shelves, is it really worth it for them to sell this junk?

Gigabyte cards are available at microcenter. I could drive over and buy a 1030 right now without a combo right now.
Now, if you want a 30X0 card, you’ll have to show up at 4am a couple weeks in a row to get a particular model. Less if you’re flexible.

In context, we are talking about the 3000 series.

Not everyone lives near a micro center. It's significantly easier to enter the shuffle versus driving hours to a micro center to get there for 4:00 a.m. on the chance that they might be restocking that day.

Sold and shipped by NewEgg? They're a marketplace seller like Amazon, so you have to watch for who you're actually buying from. I've not had any issues with NewEgg for over 15 years and it's still my go-to for PC parts.
It was about 8 years ago, before they started being an Amazon wannabe. It was absolutely shipped and sold by Newegg.

Honestly, I haven't had really any major issue with Newegg after all these years (been using them probably around 15 years at least).

NewEgg just burned me by declining to return/refund a damaged out of the box motherboard because I had slotted RAM into it before noticing the dent on the back plate. I got 'lucky' and got stuck with a mobo I didn't want in the shuffle with my 3070 and ended up using it instead of the mobo I had already bought (the one I actually wanted..) but w/e. Citi/Costco got my back on it all anyway. At least I wasn't stuck with one of the PSU's.

Last edited:
I had one of those 2005 era exploding 600watt Enermax PSUs. Got hooked on battlefield 2 and used that as an excuse to upgrade. Within an hour of powering it up, boom.
I got a replacement and the replacement is still working.

They had a bad batch of PSUs -- cant remember if it was a component or manufacturing defect. It happens. No company is immune to screw ups.

But I wonder why newegg was trying to unload these units when they knew they were bad. I guess they assume most people wouldn't return them? Kickback grom gigabyte?

Well... What they are saying is comparable to if you run a car's engine past the redline for a bit, it's not going to last nearly as long as one that has been redlined. Is that an unreasonable response when that is how the research was conducted?
No, the analogy here is the vehicle manufacture advertises a redline limiter, but the engine blows up before it gets there. If the PSU cannot safely shut down before a failure occurs, what's the point of over current protection?

Why do we always need horrible car analogies on every single PC discussion? Is it so hard to understand that this PSU is basically shit?

If you want a more proper car analogy regarding this, here may be one. You get a brand name, nice looking car (like this PSU), but it burns oil to no end till the point the rods mess up and cylinders misfire then the engine catastrophically fails. That's what Gigabyte is basically offering you here.

Back