Beware of Exploding Gigabyte PSU's being Dumped by Newegg in Forced Bundles

The thing is this.

All the "gamer" brands (Corsair, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc.) rebrand PSU's from a very small number of manufacturers.

There are some that are very good. I hear excellent thins about the EVGA Supernova G2's and G3's. i believe someone suggested these werw rebranded Superflowers, and Superflower (as well as Seasonic) make very high quality PSU's

The problem is that this is no guarantee. You could have a very good experience with one EVGA PSU that's a rebranded Superflower, but then the next one you buy could be a rebranded version of something completely different. Unless you stay on top of things and research which manufacturwr made each specific model, you have no way of being sure exactöy what you are getting.

If you buy Seasonic, Enermax or Superflower directly though, you know you are always buying the quality stuff.
I love my old G2 and still have in my secondary pc but when I last looked the current models of EVGA gold PSUs were mediocre at best so I went Seasonic. If I had wanted to spring for a platinum unit then EVGA and a bunch of other brands were good quality but most gold rated units seemed closer in quality to name brand bronze units from a few years prior(not garbage but not good by any stretch of the imagination).

SeaSonic folks, nothing but SeaSonic will do and no, I don't work for them
Seasonic used to be nice, but they have a problem with adjusting their minimum fan RPM out of spec (too low) causing ticking. Corsair adjusts their re-branded Seasonic parts higher so they are quieter.

I love my old G2 and still have in my secondary pc but when I last looked the current models of EVGA gold PSUs were mediocre at best so I went Seasonic. If I had wanted to spring for a platinum unit then EVGA and a bunch of other brands were good quality but most gold rated units seemed closer in quality to name brand bronze units from a few years prior(not garbage but not good by any stretch of the imagination).
The problem for me is tracking down the oems. I only buy based on brand name and oem quality. Superflower makes their own line ups available in NA now and they are solid, well priced units but the EVGA g2 line? Ive heard cwt makes them now, then i heard hec. Ive also heard the quality isnt as good as the superflower built g2s. Which blows because my 1300g2 has been a rock in my main rigs. Sadly ive just crossed them off my short list until i can verify whats what. So its down to Seasonic and Superflower for now.

Hmm ive got several Seasonic units in use(px/gx) all in silent rigs and ive never heard a ticking noise from them. I keep the psu fans on, so i would definitely hear it.

I'va had good luck with Silverstone PSU's. So far, they seem to be rock solid. No popping even if I have pushed them really hard. Which is good because if you are into SFF builds like I am they were pretty much the only game in town for a very long time. I wonder who makes them though, are they Seasonic rebrands or are they their own designs?

The problem for me is tracking down the oems. I only buy based on brand name and oem quality. Superflower makes their own line ups available in NA now and they are solid, well priced units but the EVGA g2 line? Ive heard cwt makes them now, then i heard hec. Ive also heard the quality isnt as good as the superflower built g2s. Which blows because my 1300g2 has been a rock in my main rigs. Sadly ive just crossed them off my short list until i can verify whats what. So its down to Seasonic and Superflower for now.

Hmm ive got several Seasonic units in use(px/gx) all in silent rigs and ive never heard a ticking noise from them. I keep the psu fans on, so i would definitely hear it.
I'm pretty sure G1 and G2 units were all made by Superflower and this was before they were available in the NA market(any G2s still being sold are old stock) but beyond that they actually had some minor improvements over the Superflower units they were based on too. I believe the G3 units are where they started going through other manufacturers for their gold models which like I mentioned in my other post are generally not as good.

Most of the PSU brands are manufactured by someone else which is why it's important to research each model before buying. Seasonic and Superflower do make their own and they're generally good and a safe bet but there are other ones around that can be as good and cheaper or better for the same price so you're limiting yourself a bit to only buy those. I do wish Oklahoma Wolf was still doing PSU reviews though because he was good at not only testing them but also looking at the design and components and determining what any potential issues might be.

I'va had good luck with Silverstone PSU's. So far, they seem to be rock solid. No popping even if I have pushed them really hard. Which is good because if you are into SFF builds like I am they were pretty much the only game in town for a very long time. I wonder who makes them though, are they Seasonic rebrands or are they their own designs?
Most are made by Enhance Electronics or Sirtec. Their "Essential" series is CWT up and down the line. Some others still are FSP. You have to look at the specific model to know who the OEM is. I don't think any of them are made by Seasonic.

I think I might remember when power supplies were tested/reviewed in an honest fashion at some place, now what was the name of that place again ??? They never fudged the data. Damn, what was that website called?

I think I might remember when power supplies were tested/reviewed in an honest fashion at some place, now what was the name of that place again ??? They never fudged the data. Damn, what was that website called?
1628693862476.png

[H] did PSU reviews IIRC, as did Hardware Secrets.

I miss Hardware Secrets, they'd review even the obviously shit explodey units, they were always a good laugh.

Gigabyte has had their fair share of such stuff tbh. They had some of the most expensive mechanical keyboards back some 10 years ago, which were about as unreliable as the Razer boards of that time. Then you have the cold boot loop issues of the 2th gen Zen boards, and the awful BIOS'es (like the ones found on DS3H). Some of the older Windforce cards had crap rifle bearing fans as well on top of my head. I'm sure this list could go further but you get the point.
Every brand has bad releases, but I agree, Gigabyte has had a lot more of them in my experience than some others. I don't buy their AMD boards if I have a choice (BAD history there), but Intel tends to be extremely solid. PSUs - I have one of these, but it's never under high load (100-150W max; I got it as a bundle, so I used it, but at that load I'm not really worried since it's the 850W @ 150W :p). I won't buy another that's for sure.

The issue isn't that there's a shitty PSU out there made by GB.

The issue is that Newegg forced you to buy this PSU in order to buy a video card when you clearly can't use it without risking catastrophe. If Gigabyte wants to peddle shit, so be it. You don't have to buy it. But Newegg is forcing you to buy it in order to get a video card. Newegg being shitty (again) is the story, not necessarily Gigabyte making a shitty PSU.

The issue isn't that there's a shitty PSU out there made by GB.

The issue is that Newegg forced you to buy this PSU in order to buy a video card when you clearly can't use it without risking catastrophe. If Gigabyte wants to peddle shit, so be it. You don't have to buy it. But Newegg is forcing you to buy it in order to get a video card. Newegg being shitty (again) is the story, not necessarily Gigabyte making a shitty PSU.
No one is forcing you to buy anything. You are free to pass on their bundles.

My anecdotal experience is anecdotal, but I had an awful experience with my Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master motherboard for my Threadripper.

It worked for less than a month and then stopped. My machine was a brick with it installed. I RMA'd it and they sent it back stating "no problem found".

I then RMA'd the CPU and the replacement again worked for less than a month before bricking.

Then I RMA'd the second CPU. At this point I thought the motherboard was killing CPU's. I had been troubleshooting and going without my desktop for almost a year and decided to just be done with it and went out and bought an Asus motherboard and haven't had a problem since.

...except this $500+ junk Gigabyte motherboard I can't do anything with. I'm tempted to try to RMA it again and make a stink to customer service and try to get them to refund me.

I'm essentially an applied statistician, and know better than to make decisions off of sample sizes of n=1, but I am pissed enough to never want to buy another Gigabyte product ever again at this point.

Edit:
Holy typos Batman!
Have the same mb been rock stable... mostly. I think older firmware overvolted the CPU at times I saw 1.55v at stock. A -v.15 offset fixed it and made it run cooler. However they must have changed something as the rebar bois made my -v offset unstable but stock vcore worked..but no matter what I do my single core bost 4300 vs 4.55 before oddly the all core is the same 4300

I had a 620W Seasonic fail out of warranty (I think the warranty on the unit was only like 2-3 years) so it can happen to anything.
It happens, but did it take other hardware with it?
IIRC the 620w units were on the value line as well, no excuse but when shaving pennies, something's gotta give.

The big thing for me is I've never heard of seasonic psu's smoking connected hardware.

I’d be willing to bet a high number of the “DOA” units of this PSU are not dead, they have a thermal throttled fan stop.

This PSU is weird in that it’s well built but not well designed it has obvious design flaws. You could probably toss these in old Optiplexes and they’d run for a decade. I actually bought one for $12 from someone and am testing in a low draw scenario (half rated draw), so far it’s been OK, nothing critical, just a curiosity of mine.

What is wrong with drives from Newegg?

It's mostly a historical problem at this point.

They used to package hard drives very poorly, and would thus have a much higher than industry average failure rate.

I feel like they fixed this almost a decade ago at this point though, but I can understand that if you've received a bad drive or one that fails shortly after you start using it, it can leave a bad taste in your mouth for some time.

Last time I upgraded the NAS drives I split them (12 drives) evenly between Amazon, B&H and Newegg. As I recall they all arrived in good packaging and none suffered premature failures.

SeaSonic folks, nothing but SeaSonic will do and no, I don't work for them

I've soured on them somewhat. I had two 450 watt Seasonic Focus Gold +'s fail. No real power load on them, media center PCs without a dedicated video card so they had a pretty "easy" life, not cooped up in a closed box either so heat wasn't an issue. One at my home and one at my parents home, we live a few hours apart plus I have 4-5 other PCs with much older PSUs and have no issue, so I don't think it's a power feed issue from the utility.

Units were both less than 2 years old. Yeah anecdotal and all that, but they still failed me.

no Consumer level product line is perfect regardless the maker
Delta based Antec HCP 1200 was pretty darn close. Most didn't care for lack of fully modular design but it was smaller than the AX1200 and had better regulation and thermals which mattered to those of us that loaded them higher than 75% continuous. Very nice unit!

Delta based Antec HCP 1200 was pretty darn close. Most didn't care for lack of fully modular design but it was smaller than the AX1200 and had better regulation and thermals which mattered to those of us that loaded them higher than 75% continuous. Very nice unit!

Not even remotely close. A dual PCB design that is hard to deal with when you go inside, cooled by 80mm fan. What would actually be closer to perfection would be something of the size of the old AX860i, with its specs, and without a few of its tidbits.

Every brand has its lemons this speaks more to me about New Egg and their crap practices than Gigabyte. Yeah at some point an OEM is going to build something bad and they will deal with it, but New Egg is knowingly forcing people to buy a product they know is faulty that they cant unload under normal circumstances so they are putting it in a bundle because people know they are going to buy it just to get those cards. I mean I swore off New Egg when they unloaded a shit ton of refurbished and incorrectly packaged items when I distinctly ordered new and they had the audacity to try to charge me for their return. But this is a new low.

Every brand has its lemons this speaks more to me about New Egg and their crap practices than Gigabyte. Yeah at some point an OEM is going to build something bad and they will deal with it, but New Egg is knowingly forcing people to buy a product they know is faulty that they cant unload under normal circumstances so they are putting it in a bundle because people know they are going to buy it just to get those cards. I mean I swore off New Egg when they unloaded a shit ton of refurbished and incorrectly packaged items when I distinctly ordered new and they had the audacity to try to charge me for their return. But this is a new low.
once again that force word. No one is forcing anyone to buy a bundle.

once again that force word. No one is forcing anyone to buy a bundle.
All 3000 series cards are only offered in a bundle, no 3000 series GPU's are sold by new egg solo, if you want to buy a 3000 series GPU from them you MUST buy it as part of a bundle, no other options. Those who found a workaround on their mobile app quickly had their orders cancelled and the mobile app was patched to close the loophole.

I don't think you're getting it... you're not forced to use Newegg, you're not forced to buy the bundle and even if you buy the bundle getting some form of saving, you're not forced to use that PSU for it... lol.

I don't think you're getting it... you're not forced to use Newegg, you're not forced to buy the bundle and even if you buy the bundle getting some form of saving, you're not forced to use that PSU for it... lol.
Don't use new egg for sure they have become garbage, but all their 3000 series cards are parts of a bundle, you are not able to purchase them as a stand-alone item at this time, but they do offer bundles with older monitors, soundbars, USB battery packs, and other items so you don't have to buy them with the PSU's I suppose that much is right, but there aren't any savings there.

All 3000 series cards are only offered in a bundle, no 3000 series GPU's are sold by new egg solo, if you want to buy a 3000 series GPU from them you MUST buy it as part of a bundle, no other options.
That's not true. I've seen 3060s and 3070s in the shuffle by themselves twice in the last week.

even if you buy the bundle getting some form of saving, you're not forced to use that PSU for it.
If you get lucky in the shuffle you can see cards for close to MSRP... but not when you factor in the cost of a PSU you don't want. Admittedly, it may still be cheaper than scalper prices...if you can get one.

That's not true. I've seen 3060s and 3070s in the shuffle by themselves twice in the last week.
I hope this is true, but back in Nov they announced that they were going to start only putting them in bundles to "discourage scalping" and articles from other news sources have been piling on as recently they made the 3080's and 3090's only available as part of their PC building service, which is where the article about the 11 year old figuring out how to order just the card through their mobile app came from.

Back