Beware of EVGA GPU's selling for "good prices"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
https://forums.evga.com/Notice-of-Stolen-EVGA-GeForce-RTX-30Series-Graphics-Cards-m3490851.aspx

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on October 29, 2021, a shipment of EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards was stolen from a truck en route from San Francisco to our Southern California distribution center.

These graphics cards are in high demand and each has an estimated retail value starting at $329.99 up to $1959.99 MSRP.

PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that under state and Federal law:
  • It is a criminal and civil offense to “buy or receive” property that has been stolen. Cal. Penal Code section 496(a).
  • It is also a criminal and civil offense to “conceal, sell, withhold, or aid in concealing selling or withholding” any such property.

PLEASE TAKE FURTHER notice that:
  • If you are able to successfully register your product and see it under My Products, then your product is NOT affected by this notice.
  • EVGA will NOT REGISTER or HONOR ANY WARRANTY or UPGRADE claims on these products.

If you have or receive any information relating to these products, please share that with us at [email protected].

We appreciate your attention to this issue.

Thank you,
EVGA Management

I would insist on a valid receipt from this point forward.

Im sure they were sold long before they were stolen. They may track them down in 5 years after they've been mined to death 😂

Can they give a serial number range or something? How is anyone supposed to know if you are buying one of these cards?
Just have to stick with legit retailers now. Buying an evga gpu off of ebay/craigslist/etc now should b considered an as is purchase, with no warranty or support from day 1.

Don't worry guys, no one is going to be buying these. The smart move is to just mine with them since they are already paid off while also staying under the radar.

Who registers products they buy?

"Not being able to register your video card" seems like quite the tiny penalty for dealing in stolen goods.

FAKE NEWS!

In other news, it is my insane privilege to be able to offer EVGA Engineering Samples exclusively to [H] forum members at a very special price, please see my thread in the F/S section. HEATWARE optional!

1635972195531.png

SmartSelect_20210909-155319_Chrome.jpg

Been waiting patiently for 8 months now for EVGA to send me a Email for a card...Maybe DooKey can put something in the pipe?

Who registers products they buy?

Anyone who wants to be able to make warranty claims. I don't always bother to do so, but for something as expensive as a GPU I always have; even when they were easy to buy.

"Not being able to register your video card" seems like quite the tiny penalty for dealing in stolen goods.
If the end user knows they're buying stolen property it's not a big hit; but unlike some people who're assuming someone stole their way to a large cryto-mining farm; I'm expecting these cards to end up scalped on fleabay, etc to a bunch of suckers who thought they were buying legitimate products.

If only this were true :(

Sad to hear this happening to evga though. What happened to just bribing the store manager?

Back when the original CoD Modern Warfare released it was very popular. In France, people robbed a truck at knife point and stole hundreds of copies of the game. Isn't anything new, it is something that you can sell. It isn't an illegal item in of itself, so easier to fly under the radar.

Anyone who wants to be able to make warranty claims. I don't always bother to do so, but for something as expensive as a GPU I always have; even when they were easy to buy.

I've never registered any product I've owned in 40 years, and never been denied a warranty claim.

In fact, I was under the impression that there were laws preventing registration as a requirement for warranty, but I am not sure.

Back when the original CoD Modern Warfare released it was very popular. In France, people robbed a truck at knife point and stole hundreds of copies of the game. Isn't anything new, it is something that you can sell. It isn't an illegal item in of itself, so easier to fly under the radar.

Well, there's something you don't see anymore with digital releases. Supply limitations on games!

You'd think companies would put GPS trackers in their shipments for such high profile merchandise.

If they can do it with a box of fish, I'm pretty confident they can do it with a box of video cards.

You'd think companies would put GPS trackers in their shipments for such high profile merchandise.

If they can do it with a box of fish, I'm pretty confident they can do it with a box of video cards.

They probably just insure the shipments, and then it isn't worth their effort to do anything else.

They probably just insure the shipments, and then it isn't worth their effort to do anything else.
It would be nice if companies made it worth their effort. If I was the boss, every damn one of those cards would be tracked with live tracking until they reach the shelf. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

If only this were true :(Sad to hear this happening to evga though. What happened to just bribing the store manager?

They said it came from San Francisco, so I'm assuming the shipment came in at the sea port and was shipped from there to wherever the EVGA warehouse was.

It was almost certainly an inside job, or at least someone with enough access to know the port and truck manifests to be able to find the cards to steal them. It could have been someone at the port, someone at the shipping company, or even the driver themselves. It's a perfect source of quick cash, video cards have been so expensive and in such short supply for so long that whoever wants them at this point are not really concerned if they came out of the back of a truck somewhere.

Evga can't really do much at this point besides deny your warranty. Them prosecuting random customers unknowingly buying stolen cards will just put egg on their face. Not to say they deserve it, but they should have had more stringent security in place for such items.

It would be nice if companies made it worth their effort. If I was the boss, every damn one of those cards would be tracked with live tracking until they reach the shelf. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

Do you realize how much GPS trackers cost? They're also bulky. They make sense on trucks and stuff, not so much on smaller items. Putting 1 inside each box of several dozen cards might make sense if they were returned to you and you could reuse them.

They will obviously sell them local to avoid paper trails and refunds, cash only, for sure.
Probably using multiple different sellers, probably in different cities or states, spread out.

Assuming the buyer tries to register the card right away, it will be immediately obvious they bought a stolen card since the serial won't work.

Or perhaps they are miners and won't sell the cards at all...

Dealt with this back in the PS2 days. Had a big shipment boosted in transit to our store before Christmas. Loads of fun getting that crap sorted out.

I swear thats all I do is file claims of missing GPUs. This is getting insane. I had to start filing reports to get a log just in case its not an inside job or the carrier knowing what is in the box. I can't really say where I work but yeah, this is beyond where its ever been in the past due to constraints.

I swear thats all I do is file claims of missing GPUs. This is getting insane. I had to start filing reports to get a log just in case its not an inside job or the carrier knowing what is in the box. I can't really say where I work but yeah, this is beyond where its ever been in the past due to constraints.
Yeah it's bad. I'm still waiting for UPS to refund me 2K+ for that 3090 that was stolen out of the box before it arrived. And still not sure why they don't require signature so I could have refused delivery of an opened package...

I knew a guy that worked at a large shipping company like FedEx, he was a manager at the time, and staff would occationally swip and item and mark it with various codes like lost in transit, etc. Always made his life a nightmare and it can be difficult to identify the individual.

Could just be some warehouse jockey that saw an opportunity.

Man, the first PS2 Christmas season was nuts! People being ambushed, beaten and stabbed in parking lots :eek:
We had a woman come into the store with a baby stroller and what looked like a baby. She went back to the stacked PS2 display and slipped two PS2 boxes into the stroller and ditched the doll that was what looked lime a kid in the display and strolled out of the store. The boxes were empty but still the security cam footage was something else.

We had a woman come into the store with a baby stroller and what looked like a baby. She went back to the stacked PS2 display and slipped two PS2 boxes into the stroller and ditched the doll that was what looked lime a kid in the display and strolled out of the store. The boxes were empty but still the security cam footage was something else.
Wow. Greed and desperation make people do some wild stuff.

I worked at Blockbuster at the time the PS2 was popular, we had to stop renting them out because people would keep stealing them. The typical make an account under a false identity and never return the console type thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back