Beware of backing up important data on mechanical drives!!

LCD monitors are crap, I was playing a game and it broke, always use CRTs

pic of my setup to explain

J18snS2fwJPNu.gif

So whats a good way to backup 48TB of data?

LTO6 tape. I you should be able to get an LTO6 drive for under $2000. Tapes should be under $30 each for 2.5TB native tapes ( 6.25 TB compressed assuming 2.5 : 1 compression).

Last edited:
First and foremost, any online media or storage device is a poor substitute for a proper backup strategy. You may be cloning data and making it somewhat redundant but that data is vulnerable to power surges, natural disasters, viruses, and anything else your PC is exposed to. If you really care about data, you need multiple copies of it and those need to be distributed in at least two different locations. Online, mechanical or magnetic media isn't the best way to do that. It's not the 1990's anymore.
With the amount of redundancy some of the more modern DCs have I would be far less worried about cloud storage than you suggest.
I still recomend keeping your own offline/cold backup but often Cloud services like AWS, IBM Blue Mix, etc have your data replicated at multiple DCs and sitting offline in case of failure.

Pardon sire, iz diz be a joke?

Not a joke. LTO tapes are several orders of magnitude more reliable (lower bit error rates) and also they last longer so the SMR drives may look cheaper but in the long run they may not be the case. And also with the tape drive you can take more than 1 backup and also put 1 set of the tapes offsite.

this is why if you backup to a mechanical drive you don't just leave it on your desk. I put mine in a foam lined box, taped shut, on a shelf to get dusty until I do another backup.

I apologize everyone. I did not mention this before. I blame myself for all of this. Keep in mind I'm human and I make a whole lot mistakes just like everybody. In the moment the hard drive stopped working properly my reaction was not good and I immediately tried to fix it myself. I stupidly thought I could fix it by banging my fist on the hard drive to make it work again. The hard drive was making this noise as you can hear in audio file link below.I was so reluctant to spend over $100 to repair the hard drive and recover my data. That's the last thing I wanted to do so I banged my fist on hdd to try and fix it. Like I said I blame myself and I'm human :(

So wait, the HDD died because you dropped shit on it, and your first response was to hit it again?

I'm flabbergasted.

Any data you don't have more then two copies of, is data you don't care about.

So wait, the HDD died because you dropped shit on it, and your first response was to hit it again?

I'm flabbergasted.

Any data you don't have more then two copies of, is data you don't care about.

Actually I did backup some of the files. I'd say I backed up 20% of files off HDD. Of course they were important to me. Nostalgic pictures & videos of me as kid, documents etc I copied over to my ssd. But I didn't backup up every single file however the files were all still important to me.

Don't dispose of the drive. You can probably get at least some stuff back, but it won't be cheap. The kind of data backup you need is going to be way more than over $100. Down the road you may be in a better position to shell out the cash for recovery, so save it in some place it won't get knocked around.

Don't dispose of the drive. You can probably get at least some stuff back, but it won't be cheap. The kind of data backup you need is going to be way more than over $100. Down the road you may be in a better position to shell out the cash for recovery, so save it in some place it won't get knocked around.

I did not discard hdd. I mailed it to hdd repair hoping they could retrieve data but unfortunately they could not. Banging my fist on hdd to make it work damaged it even more so they disposed it :(

Back