Beware Fake Corsair Survivor Drives

HardOCP News

[H] News
As the proud owner of a Corsair Survivor 32GB drive it is my duty to spread the word that there is at least one company out there selling fake Corsair Survivor drives. Corsair has informed us that they do not make a 64GB or 128GB version of the Survivor being offered by unscrupulous companies so beware of any retailer listing drives in those sizes. You can avoid fake products by buying only from reputable retailers. This has been a [H] public service announcement.

I remember seeing fake 64GB and 128GB Corsair drives when I was in China the summer before last. It was really obvious that they were fake back then because no companies made drives even close to that size, but now that size is more plausible.

Wow, I can't believe anyone would attempt to make counterfeit flash drives.

googled it and a major retailer (Mpave) is selling in 64gb size
yes i have beef with them...

We actually sell a 64GB voyager. It's much longer than the standard Voyager.

There is currently nothing higher than that, though. If you see a 128 or 256, you are being had.

Thanks.

I never quite caught on to why people make counterfeits when they could just make real stuff with their own name on it. :/

I never quite caught on to why people make counterfeits when they could just make real stuff with their own name on it. :/

bceause a good name sells. make it as cheap as possible, sell it as a counterfit and you can rake in a bigger profit. happens a lot unfortunately

i would buy them if they are cheap enough. where

They aren't really 128GB or 256GB drives. In fact, most of the time they aren't even 32GB or 64GB drives.

They usually flash the firmware on a much smaller drive, sometimes 128MB drives or as low as they can find cheap drives. What happens is you see it, buy it, plug it in, and Windows will say it's what they told you it is.

Until, of course, you try and copy data to those portions, in which case the drive ceases to function.

Type "Counterfeit USB Drives" into Google or another search engine and you'll see a lot of articles about it. It's like those "legitimate" DVDs and copies of Windows Vista you see in Chinatown for $5 each.

Yeah, that sucks.

I bought a counterfeit Logitech G9 mouse thinking it was the real deal. This kind of stuff happens all the time.

I could have sworn I saw the 64gb drive on NewEgg at one time, perhaps I was just high

Well this is bad news but unfortunately all too common. The same thing can be seen in the Bluetooth headset market on Ebay.

I have a 16GB Flash Survivor and it's an awesome flash drive. I'm glad I have a legit version haha. :)

Wow, I can't believe anyone would attempt to make counterfeit flash drives.

I've still got my counterfeit Kung Fu Master arcade board which I bought back in 1984. That was a hell of a lot more complicated to fake.

I've had fake Hong Kong specials (Gameboy Color 100 games in one card, lighters, watches, etc.) that have outlasted the real deal and I've also gone through about half a dozen MP3/4 players until finally decided to get an iPod which is a much better quality, it all depends.

Back