Better than OLED? Samsung researchers develope self-emissive QLED technology. Can I has now please!

https://www.zmescience.com/science/news-science/samsung-qleds-28112019/

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...s-published-in-leading-science-journal-nature

Infinite blacks, fast response and hopefully no damn screen burn or image retention! Hmm, this or MicroLED's? Whatever happens soonest and is reasonably affordable is fine with me

"Most people have heard of quantum dots because of TV screens. Samsung Electronics and LG launched the first QLED TVs in 2015.

However, these TV sets do not use QEDs as a light source. Instead, a liquid crystal display (LCD) acts as the backlight, which is absorbed by a film of quantum dots that emits luminance. But in the future, self-luminating QLEDs might become a reality."

"A duo of researchers and fellows at Samsung Electronics have, in an industry-first, proved the potential of Quantum dot light-emitting diodes (QLEDs) for commercial purposes in a new study. On November 27 (London), this study on the commercialization of QLEDs was published by Nature, the world’s leading multidisciplinary science journal."

"Quantum dots are both photoluminescent and electroluminescent, both properties that will be at the core of the next-generation of displays. Compared to organic luminescent materials used in organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs), quantum dot-based diodes have purer colors, longer lifetime, lower manufacturing cost, and lower power consumption. And since quantum dots can be deposited on any structure — you can literally spray or paint them on surfaces — QLEDs can be flexible or printed.

Samsung seems very serious about this technology. In October, it vowed to invest $11 billion by 2025 to produce genuine, self-luminating quantum dot displays. The South Korean tech giant has so far over 170 patents on element structure in QLEDs."

Please don't take ten years to come to market...

Give us rolling scan for image persistence and we'd have a true CRT-killer. Seriously, it's 2019, almost 2020 and we're *almost* there.

Should only be 10 years from the lab to an affordable TV.

Are you kidding? OLED has yet to become affordable, and that was demonstrated over 10 years ago. Most affordable TVs are still using edge-lit VA panels.

Give us rolling scan for image persistence and we'd have a true CRT-killer. Seriously, it's 2019, almost 2020 and we're *almost* there.
We still don't have a mainstream cheap display technology that can handle black yet, and you want to go back to a rolling scan? lol, not gonna happen.

While it''s nice fer them to finally prove you can make QLED emissive, We're still ten years away from having something new, around 10k, then another ten years before it can reach current OLED TV prices. That is how it went for OLED TVs, which only had a single successful company making TVs.

Samsung will see similar issues with mass-production/lowering costs as LG did. Making quantum-dot work on tiny pixels will be a lot harder than just paining the phosphor over your backlight LEDs.

Are you kidding? OLED has yet to become affordable, and that was demonstrated over 10 years ago. Most affordable TVs are still using edge-lit VA panels.

I consider $1500 for a high quality 55" TV to be affordable.

But as in my second post, this really isn't about self emissive display technology. It's a better LED device, suitable for LCD TV back-lights, not an OLED type screen.

Op has never uesed a oled tv as a PC monitor it shows. I've uesed a c6 for years and just upgraded to a c9 never had any problem with burn in that was visible on anything but solid color screens and very faint at that. Oled burn in is so over rated.

They never should have stopped making affordable plasma TV's ... Heavy? Yes, but they had the darkest richest blacks and color saturation (as did the Sony Trinitron tube).

People today prefer ease (in this case light weight and lower prices) to QUALITY same as they do in many other consumer products hence quality went downhill and people don't even realize it ...

They never should have stopped making affordable plasma TV's ... Heavy? Yes, but they had the darkest richest blacks and color saturation (as did the Sony Trinitron tube).

People today prefer ease (in this case light weight and lower prices) to QUALITY same as they do in many other consumer products hence quality went downhill and people don't even realize it ...
The moden oled blows all pdp TV's out the water in all areas except maybe Shadow detail. Also the draw backs on pdps is what killed them...even the last gen Panasonic I had would get hard to get rid of ir easily when I uesed it for my PC. Also the power draw was nuts vs a lcd and they where expansive to make and scalling them to 4k would have been costly and they couldn't really be made think like is all the rate.

Oled on the other hand only real date back is price which has fallen a lot over the last few years

Why would you want rolling vs global? High speed video sensors are far superior with global vs rolling...

You mean, bargain-bin?

It's certainly 'affordable'; I paid US$1200 for my B7 two years ago. That's what I paid for a decent LCD ten years ago, 55" both.

Perhaps do you mean Micro LED?

Why would you want rolling vs global? High speed video sensors are far superior with global vs rolling...

Rolling would simulate CRT scanning. At least I think it would? CRT's scanning output is still the best, in terms of motion clarity. In my brain at least, it seemed logical to emulate that.

Once you have a very fast display technology (Like OLED) you could basically offer all kinds of weird black frame/rolling shutter style modes to humor the people that want them.

Hmmm. I paid $1300 for a 46" LCD back in the day. As it wore out after 7 years or so of service (mind you that was a cheap Toshiba), I replaced it with a 55" LG OLED for $1300. On Black Friday you could get a 65" LG OLED for $1500 and a 55" for less than $1000.

Just some observations with regards to arguments about "affordable".

Strobing the entire frame at once provides better motion clarity than rolling scan.

Does it though? l88bastard showed a video of the Alienware 55-inch OLED monitor doing a Test UFO demo and its motion clarity was still inferior to CRT.

EDIT. Not sure if it was his monitor or not, but the youtube video was of it doing its strobed image and it was not as clear as a CRT.

Double EDIT. That's not to poo-poo it. It was clearly better than a VA panel. :D To my eye at least, strobed doesn't look all that good when your graphics card can't keep up. CRT, on the other hand, would still look clear in motion when the framerates dipped below the refresh rate. I should know, I played Far Cry 3 on my GTX-560 while trying to push an FW-900. 1920x1200 wasn't a great resolution for that card with the visuals up.

Last edited:
Does it though? l88bastard showed a video of the Alienware 55-inch OLED monitor doing a Test UFO demo and its motion clarity was still inferior to CRT.

EDIT. Not sure if it was his monitor or not, but the youtube video was of it doing its strobed image and it was not as clear as a CRT.

Double EDIT. That's not to poo-poo it. It was clearly better than a VA panel. :D To my eye at least, strobed doesn't look all that good when your graphics card can't keep up. CRT, on the other hand, would still look clear in motion when the framerates dipped below the refresh rate. I should know, I played Far Cry 3 on my GTX-560 while trying to push an FW-900. 1920x1200 wasn't a great resolution for that card with the visuals up.

The Alienware doesn't do strobing, it's pure sample and hold with no off between frames.

And motion resolution.

The holy grail! Unfortunatelly, it was not to be.
I beg to differ oled at 120fps does much better then I remember my old pdp doing. I do wonder what we would have today had they not died I'm just happy we have oled as after uesing a good pdp going to LCD would have been hard...though in all fairness lcd have come a long way since and it says something that they have stuck around when so many display tecs have came and went

I beg to differ oled at 120fps does much better then I remember my old pdp doing. I do wonder what we would have today had they not died I'm just happy we have oled as after uesing a good pdp going to LCD would have been hard...though in all fairness lcd have come a long way since and it says something that they have stuck around when so many display tecs have came and went
No, 120 Hz does help but OLED is still a sample and hold display with much lower motion resolution than plasma.

I don't remember moving objects freezing several ms at a time in reality.

Proving my point. Because that is what strobing does. :D

Sample and hold shows blur, just like real life.

Spin a bicycle wheel, and the spokes blur, put a strobe light on a spinning bicycle wheel, and you get momentary sharp image freezes of spokes.

People act like CRTs are the proper way to view the world because they were first. But no one would give two shits about strobing back lights if we never had CRTs.

Strobing backlights are not a recreation of reality, they are less realistic, attempt to recreate the CRT.

Spin a bicycle wheel, and the spokes blur, put a strobe light on a spinning bicycle wheel, and you get momentary sharp image freezes of spokes.

People act like CRTs are the proper way to view the world because they were first. But no one would give two shits about strobing back lights if we never had CRTs.

Strobing backlights are not a recreation of reality, they are less realistic, attempt to recreate the CRT.
I have to say i don't see how it proves you point. Reality is constant motion not sample and hold or strobing.

Reactions: Meeho
like this

Who the heck cares because as of this moment, I cannot afford the best of the best. Heck, even when CRT's were king, I could not afford the best of the best at that time either. At least we got rid of low refresh rate strobing crap when we moved on from CRT's. However, IPS is not that great either because it has a huge background glow issue.

LCD will be around for a while longer, since they have only recently become truly affordable in a good screen level.

So funny, OLED will be on the market for decades by the time these pipe dream technologies reach consumer store shelves.

So funny, OLED will be on the market for decades by the time these pipe dream technologies reach consumer store shelves.
Sony is developing more OLED televisions now, and I think even Samsung said they were going to start producing OLED televisions. Reality is, for the features they support, OLED are more affordable in large TV sizes than comparable LCD that need to use complicated technology to produce the same kind of image quality an OLED can deliver. The only weak point with OLED is peak brightness.

The aleinware 55 oled does not do BFI, nor does the C9 LG Oleds. They are still sample and hold. Add in a BFI mode and OLED would slay the CRT

You're mixing apples, oranges and space ships here.

CRTs aren't proper, they are the fastest.

Sony is developing more OLED televisions now, and I think even Samsung said they were going to start producing OLED televisions. Reality is, for the features they support, OLED are more affordable in large TV sizes than comparable LCD that need to use complicated technology to produce the same kind of image quality an OLED can deliver. The only weak point with OLED is peak brightness.

Sony doesn't make OLED panels

He seems to hate anything that is old tech. My DLP tv I had was great and used strobing to smooth motion and it worked well. Took days of tweaking on my LCD tv to get the dang thing to feel right when watching football games. On the plus side that LCD was bigger and cheaper then my DLP tv was ;)

Sony doesn't make OLED panels
In reality very few companies make panels. Samsung makes the majority of LCD / LED panels. I'm pretty sure he talking about the TVs and not just the panels. Sony does have OLED TVs.

Back