Better than FW900? 200Hz VScan, 142KHz HScan

This is basically a NEC 2141/Mitsubishi 2070SB tube, and the actual viewing area will be 20".....Any resolution you would use on a daily basis you'd keep at 85Hz or lower, I don't even know how low the resolution would go to accept over 100..... Most games I've played at 60Hz anyway, which is fine as it looks smooth and awesome on a CRT, plus the picture is sharper and brighter at 60Hz...I don't get headaches from it though, some do.

My 2141 I bought new in 2004 and is still my primary display. Still has enough brightness, picture looks as awesome as anything. Probably going to wait until OLED monitors come out, however long that is.....I also have a NEC 20WMGX2, haven't really seen anything to make me want to upgrade it either, especially that's super glossy, although it would be tempting to have something that looks great in 30".

The FW900 was nothing special in terms of horizontal bandwidth. As said it is based on the NEC/Mits tube, but with slightly better electronics.

I used to run my NEC 2141 maxed out with custom timings at 136Hz at 1280x960 for most things, and 110Hz at 1600x1200 for a few games with bad aliasing. It would get quite blurry when maxed out so the higher resolutions/refresh rates weren't much use other than for reducing aliasing. 1600x1200@85Hz was the recommended setting and about as high as you could go for desktop use before text got too blurry.

The Iiyama has an extra 2kHz horizontal bandwidth, but more significantly a higher maximum refresh rate of 200Hz @ 800x600 and below vs. only 160Hz @ 1024x768 and below for the others. I would like to experience 200Hz one day, as even games capped at only 100fps (CS and BF1942) still felt noticeably smoother at 160Hz, although not worth the reduced resolution for me.

This makes it the highest performing CRT monitor that I am aware of, other than the huge 9" Barco projectors with 180kHz horizontal bandwidth, 240Hz max refresh, and capable of 4K+ resolutions since well before the term was even invented.

CRT is done. We are assimilated to the ROGSwifts now.

That thing is a 144Hz, TN, 1440p POS. This monitor is 200Hz, has better color than the best IPS, better blacks than the best VA, and 2560x1920.

lol 200 Hz if you are playing at super low resolutions, pong maybe?

Sorry, a 20" 4:3 isn't going to float many peoples boat's these days...

By the way modern high end GPU's don't even have analog output capability anymore.

That thing is a 144Hz, TN, 1440p POS. This monitor is 200Hz, has better color than the best IPS, better blacks than the best VA, and 2560x1920.

What's the point. You're never going to find one. BTW are you still waiting on your Korean IPS?

By the way modern high end GPU's don't even have analog output capability anymore.

Pretty sure the latest batch of Nvidia cards do have analog out.

The Titan Black and GTX 980 have analog output. 200Hz works fine at 864x648, which is fine for twitch FPS games.

What's the point. You're never going to find one. BTW are you still waiting on your Korean IPS?

I cancelled the X270OC. When I paid for it, I thought it was an instant order, but it was a pre-order.

Eizo actually made a CRT. I've seen it show up on Ebay before. I should have snagged it but I didn't. Oh well... For what it's worth Displaymate lists:

Sony GDM-F520 as its reference monitor.
Sony GDM-C520K (Artisan) as a very good monitor.
Viewsonic G225F as the best Shadow Mask monitor (this is the one I'd probably shoot for next, if I had the space).
And of course the FW900 as the best Widescreen monitor.

Edit - Keep in mind the list is a little old. :)

My EIZO T966 can do 1600x1200 at 104 Hz, though I use 85 in everyday use.

better blacks than the best VA

haha no it does not. my fp2141 has terrible washed out blacks by now. goodluck with that though, i'm sure you'll find a brand new one from a decade ago somewhere, maybe, if you spend literally all of your free time looking.

i'm a former quake player (still play, just not seriously anymore) and i used to run it at 1156x864 @ 140hz. anything over 140hz and there wasn't really any noticeable difference but the 120-140hz jump was noticeable. don't bother with 200hz if you do manage to find one.

haha no it does not. my fp2141 has terrible washed out blacks by now. goodluck with that though, i'm sure you'll find a brand new one from a decade ago somewhere, maybe, if you spend literally all of your free time looking.

i'm a former quake player (still play, just not seriously anymore) and i used to run it at 1156x864 @ 140hz. anything over 140hz and there wasn't really any noticeable difference but the 120-140hz jump was noticeable. don't bother with 200hz if you do manage to find one.

G2, "screen," or "bright" pot adjustment is all you need. I had a Dell M991 - 19-inch bubble. The brightness was a bit washed out. Lowered the "bright" pot in the monitor and got it so that blacks are black. I then calibrated it and at full white (6500k), it puts out 105 cd/m2 of brightness, which is about right.

If you still have that particular screen, give it a shot. Adjust that G2 (or bright or screen - whatever it's called) and see where it takes you. You may be pleasantly surprised! :)

... 200Hz works fine at 864x648 ...

mTntFqS.jpg

Resolution dosn't matter much in multiplayer FPS games. Framerate does, so 864x648 at 200Hz is the best resolution for games like CoD and CS.

I don't know what's funnier, this or the guy that wanted to reformat his monitor before returning it.

rabidz7 has a point here. Higher refresh and frame rate is far more important than resolution when it comes to fast paced competitive gaming.

I don't know what's funnier, this or the guy that wanted to reformat his monitor before returning it.

Question - have you played competitive gaming? There are some gamers out there who do this sort of thing. I've seen COD players take a 4:3 CRT and run a 16:9 resolution just so that they can have more viewing area. Of course, they ran it at a lower resolution to get high framerates.

I guess I just don't see what's so "funny" about his statement... :confused:

Back